Current Olympian Melissa Hoskins husband charged with her death

Remove this Banner Ad

My original thought process was he was in such a state he wanted to drive off and maybe he was under the influence of something and she didn't want him to go hurt himself or someone else.
Id assume there would be mention in the charges if excess alcohol or drugs were in the equation.

That’s my guess. Various articles mentioning he’s had problems with his mental health, anger and relationships.

Jumping onto the bonnet is an act of desperation. I think it’s most likely she was extremely concerned he was going to harm himself.

Id assume there would be mention in the charges if excess alcohol or drugs were in the equation.

Yeah, goes back to Awakening's post - she was probably scared he was going to harm himself so tried to stop him.

I am hoping that's the case becsuse the DV route in that he was aggressive and was abusive etc is just too terrible to contemplate as that is still very much in play.

Yeah, goes back to Awakening's post - she was probably scared he was going to harm himself so tried to stop him.

I am hoping that's the case becsuse the DV route in that he was aggressive and was abusive etc is just too terrible to contemplate as that is still very much in play.
The DV angle doesn't really support him driving away and her jumping on the bonnet. Unless he had the kids in the car. Has that been ruled in or out yet. That seems the only plausible option here

Not real sure but I THINK a borderline .05 BAC on the breathalyzer can go towards a dangerous driving charge. Who knows at this stage, he may have blown over but gone down a little bit on a more definitive blood test where charging him for that specifically, won't result in a conviction.

If alcohol may have factored in to why she was trying to stop him from leaving. She probably could only take a guess at whether he was over the limit or not.

Im leaning less towards the 'let me save you from yourself' and more toward the 'Im not finished with you yet' myself.

Why is that?

With the other option that he had something in the car she didn't want going with him?
I dunno really.
All the talk of DV, jumping on the bonnet doesnt feel like its the action of someone in fear.
You've got two obviously highly competetive people here, from the same field, Id imagine there'd be equally competetive aspects within the relationship.
Just a feel I get from it.

'I'm not done with you yet' might have been a little strong, perhaps 'we're not finished here yet' might be more inline.

I dunno really.
All the talk of DV, jumping on the bonnet doesnt feel like its the action of someone in fear.
You've got two obviously highly competetive people here, from the same field, Id imagine ithere'd be equally competetive aspects within the relationship.
Just a feel I get from it.

If she was trying to open the door as reported somewhere I'm not seeing her jumping on the bonnet unless it was to slide quickly over as the shortest way to the drivers door, where she can either open it or put a hand through the window to take the keys out.

If she was trying to open the door as reported somewhere I'm not seeing her jumping on the bonnet unless it was to slide quickly over as the shortest way to the drivers door, where she can either open it or put a hand through the window to take the keys out.
DV victim to Hollywood stunt actor is a stretch for mine but time will tell I guess.

DV victim to Hollywood stunt actor is a stretch for mine but time will tell I guess.

I must have lived a different kind of life, assuming everybody probably knew how to do a bum slide over the bonnet to get in to the drivers side fast. You can take more than two seconds off.

Not really a controversial opinion to say if your partner is violent, and you stay with them, something is a bit wrong.
One of the prime reasons many domestic violence victims stay with their abusers is because - cruelly - leaving an abuser is the most dangerous time for them.

Edit: didn't see this was covered in subsequent posts.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Reported today in the Advertiser...

Police will allege Hoskins jumped on to the bonnet of the car & grabbed the door handle.
Officers will allege Dennis continued to drive until she fell to the ground.
Detectives believe she may have been dragged some distance.
It's believed some of the incident was caught on neighbour's security cameras.

If Dennis did continue to drive after she fell to the ground, dragging her body, he's looking at a significant jail term.

Reported today in the Advertiser...

Police will allege Hoskins jumped on to the bonnet of the car & grabbed the door handle.
Officers will allege Dennis continued to drive until she fell to the ground.
Detectives believe she may have been dragged some distance.
It's believed some of the incident was caught on neighbour's security cameras.

If Dennis did continue to drive after she fell to the ground, dragging her body, he's looking at a significant jail term.
Yep, he's definitely in big trouble if that the appears to be the case.

On Redmi Note 8 Pro using BigFooty.com mobile app

No, unfortunately.

Given she's an elite athlete, I'm wondering if he was driving towards her head on and she's jumped to land on the bonnet because that's what you might do to avoid going under the front wheels. She's grabbed for some sort of hold and it looks like she's going for the door handle?

I often wonder in sad cases like this where did it all go wrong. Did RD have issues when growing up and they were never properly managed by his parents/elders around him. Or was he one of those athletes (eg, Ben Cousins) who was so good that no body ever challenged his behavior. To be at the very top of your sport, especially in the Time Trial discipline you are obsessed and driven every day. If no outlet to release the pressure valve, or access to decent sports phycology, then it explains the anger and blowing up at team mates, mechanics and sadly his own wife. Some sporting folks don’t handle the transition into retirement, and the Xmas holiday tension factor had made for a terrible result here. As many have said here, poor children and her family and friends having to deal with this.

One of the prime reasons many domestic violence victims stay with their abusers is because - cruelly - leaving an abuser is the most dangerous time for them.
I totally understand this. I am of the opinion that many of these cases would have extenuating circumstances such as financial control, isolation, etc.

IMO there is a difference between remaining with your abuser because you are coerced, and literally jumping on the bonnet of their car to stop them from leaving.

As an aside, I find it odd that a domestic violence abuser would have custody of the kids after (what looks like) murdering their mother.

Last edited:
Does it say if the car was actually in motion when she did this or was it stationary?

This article by the lovely Candace Sutton (Hi Candace!) implies vehicle was stationary.

The 32-year-old allegedly jumped onto the bonnet of the Amarok and grabbed at a door handle before the vehicle was driven off and she fell to the ground.

It is also alleged Hoskins may have been dragged along by the vehicle, with the incident captured on neighbours' security cameras.”

Remove this Banner Ad

Back