Current Olympian Melissa Hoskins husband charged with her death

Remove this Banner Ad

What does privilege have to do with anything?
Kane wanted to know if my life was simple.

Privilige: especially wealth, but also being male, white, well-educated etc. all help have a simple life I think.

Sure beats being homeless anyway. Or so I would assume, depends on the person I suppose.

Last edited:
Kane wanted to know if my life was simple.

Privilige: especially wealth, but also being male, white, well-educated etc. all help have a simple life I think.

Sure beats being homeless anyway. Or so I would assume, depends on the person I suppose.
No, your thinking on relationships is very simplistic.

No, your thinking on relationships is very simplistic.
As far as this relationship goes I think this dude was a violent prick and Melissa should have left.

I understand that DV situuations are rarely this simple and women in many cases do not have this option.

Maybe, but when she falls off the car you stop.

That depends on whether he knew for sure that she had fallen under the car (which would depend on angles etc) and also whether hes for example tried to reverse and accidentally hit the wrong pedal. Any cctv from neighbours houses plus car data and forensic data will be critical here. Its possible to either see it as an accident or deliberate depending on those what the answers to those key questions are.

That depends on whether he knew for sure that she had fallen under the car (which would depend on angles etc) and also whether hes for example tried to reverse and accidentally hit the wrong pedal. Any cctv from neighbours houses plus car data and forensic data will be critical here. Its possible to either see it as an accident or deliberate depending on those what the answers to those key questions are.

Yes. Someone mentioned on page 2 she could have tried to grab the keys, she fell, hung on, he thought she fell off and drove away.

Did she jump on a moving car or was it stationary? Questions we don't have the answers to but the cops do. There is cctv. Until it all comes out how it occurred, it is all heresay and speculation.

We can make informed opinions when we actually know what transpired. It will come out. For now I am not going to speculate because there is no point in that.

When we know what happened then we can call him a prick, etc, but all we have at the moment is nothing.

End of the day someone has lost their life and kids are without a mum and may be soon without a dad. It's a tragedy.

It's very unequal, at the top end there's good money. He's won stages at all three major grand tours with plenty of good results at other races, was a World Time Trial Champion (twice) plus has Olympic Bronze and Comm Games Gold medal. He'd have done pretty well out of cycling.

He'd have been on decent AFL player type money I'd guess?

At the bottom end of the pro-tour the money is pretty average though.

Meanwhile back to the crime discussion...
The top ones are on over 5 million Euro per year plus some big endorsements. Dennis was very, very good at his peak.

It’s not the first time Rohan Dennis has been implicated in a domestic violence incident with Melissa Hoskins. RD wasn’t named at the time, but iirc there were only 3 Australian professional cyclists living in La Massana when the incident occurred – One was overseas racing, the other (Damian Howson) publicly stated that he and his wife were not involved in the incident, and the third stayed very quiet:

the precedent of violence, depression- -
Woah, where have you come from champion?

If you simplify what toump said it’s factually correct. Melissa had threatened to leave him previously (according to the daily mail) and also jumped on a car refusing to allow him to leave, she was clearly suffering mentally = messed up. Whether that’s because she was a victim of DV or had her own demons is irrelevant to the term “messed up”

Let’s not get on our moral high horses unnecessarily and read into keystrokes more than they need to be. Nobody on here condones DV.

If you simplify what toump said it’s factually correct. Melissa had threatened to leave him previously (according to the daily mail) and also jumped on a car refusing to allow him to leave, she was clearly suffering mentally = messed up. Whether that’s because she was a victim of DV or had her own demons is irrelevant to the term “messed up”

Let’s not get on our moral high horses unnecessarily and read into keystrokes more than they need to be. Nobody on here condones DV.

Not sure, what if one of the kids was in the car or he'd taken her keys or purse? That might prompt someone to want to stop him from leaving with them.

Woah, where have you come from champion?

I've recently been lurking in the crime forum, some interesting reads. The mushroom meal first brought me here.

Hopefully, the truth will be out soon, but on the subject of DV, I find this author and this article often relevant:

"After decades of ignoring domestic violence, Australians have learnt to condemn it. The statistics are now well known: a woman is murdered at least every week, another hospitalised every three hours. We say we’re horrified, and wonder what could possibly make a man hurt a woman he claims to love. Does he drink? Take drugs? Was he stressed, unemployed, frustrated? Did she provoke him? What could make a man lose control like that? There must be some reason for it.

The woman looks for reasons too, which is why it can take her so long to realise she’s being abused. He’s jealous because he loves me. He doesn’t like me going out because he’s overprotective. He’s got a temper, but everyone’s got their demons – he just needs a strong woman to help him overcome them. On average, a woman will endure 35 assaults before she makes her first complaint. In the meantime, she’ll make as many excuses for his behaviour as we do.

We reach for these excuses because the alternative – that hundreds of thousands of Australian men have chosen to inflict diabolical cruelty on their partners – is almost inconceivable. Men’s behaviour change programs don’t treat perpetrators for anger problems, because anger management doesn’t work. The violence isn’t an overreaction, it’s a tool – one of many that abusers can use to exert control over their wives and girlfriends. Drugs and alcohol may aggravate the violence, but they don’t cause it."

Home truths

The unfortunate incident occurred to a family member, close to the family home. Whether an accident or not, it was still an extremely violent interaction, so it may be considered reasonable to label the incident as a DV issue, but it may not be appropriate to generalise until we know more.

The alledged charge of "causing death by dangerous driving" is essentially manslaughter if my loose interpretation of s. 19A of the Criminal Law Consolidation Act 1935 is correct...which it very well might not be.

Just some additional thoughts before I go back to lurking.

Not sure, what if one of the kids was in the car or he'd taken her keys or purse?
He’s a hothead with poor impulse control. Climbing on the bonnet of the car while he’s leaving because he took your purse or keys doesn’t seem like a reasonable action.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If he knew for sure she'd fallen under the car it would be a murder charge. The charges relate to reckless and dangerous behaviour. Not deliberate, but not an accident. Intention doesn't really come into it - just the actions taken and whether a reasonable person in the situation would forsee the possibility of harm. Not up to date on my case law about the level of 'possible' required - if I recall similarly worded laws from other jurisdictions from my uni days correctly, it can get as high as highly likely/almost certain. With reckless/dangerous driving though the bar tends to lower rather than go up, as the laws are re-written in response to controversial acquittals.

it’s been said here multiple times about her falling off and subsequently being run over. But couldn’t she simply have fallen and hit her head on the bitumen or kerb?

Not making excuses for any actions, was just playing through scenarios in my head.

Exactly. We don't know what injuries she died of. She could have been run over, she could have fallen off backwards and hit her head hard. Until we get details, it's all speculation

If he knew for sure she'd fallen under the car it would be a murder charge. The charges relate to reckless and dangerous behaviour. Not deliberate, but not an accident. Intention doesn't really come into it - just the actions taken and whether a reasonable person in the situation would forsee the possibility of harm. Not up to date on my case law about the level of 'possible' required - if I recall similarly worded laws from other jurisdictions from my uni days correctly, it can get as high as highly likely/almost certain. With reckless/dangerous driving though the bar tends to lower rather than go up, as the laws are re-written in response to controversial acquittals.

It does if they are trying to prove dangerous driving rather than culpable driving (which is where it would be more about the type of negligence you are referring to). For it to be genuinely dangerous driving then they would need to prove as a part of that that his intent and actions were so dangerous that they couldnt reasonably be an error or a mistake (such as for example in a split second hitting the wrong pedal or swerving in the wrong way, in and of itself that might be negligent but its not dangerous driving).

In that context whether he knew she was under the car because if he didnt and a reasonable person would have assumed she had fallen near the kerb and therefore it was safe to keep going forward on the line he took (assuming he didnt go over the speed limit etc) is a critical part.

So i assume the police think they have some sort of forensic evidence or cctv that shows something above mere mistake or negligence. Then again they could be trying to see if they can bargain him down to a lesser charge like culpable driving etc.

They could still upgrade the charges once they’ve finished their investigation.

I reckon this is it, the kids were in the car. She gave up her sporting career to be a mother.
I dont think that would justify jumping on the bonnet of a car, they're his kids too after all so if that is the case he wasnt acting unlawfully.
I reckon if someone jumped on my bonnet randomly, chances are I'd hit the go peddle in split second reaction too.
Its not a normal action.

I dont think that would justify jumping on the bonnet of a car, they're his kids too after all so if that is the case he wasnt acting unlawfully.
I reckon if someone jumped on my bonnet randomly, chances are I'd hit the go peddle in split second reaction too.
Its not a normal action.

My original thought process was he was in such a state he wanted to drive off and maybe he was under the influence of something and she didn't want him to go hurt himself or someone else.

1. Drives one of those giant 4wds, also a hothead, maybe he didn’t know he ran over the wife? Source: I’ve hit plenty of cars without knowing it and im also a hothead who kinda can’t see things when he’s raging. Those cars are like tanks.
Amarok, not that big, she was able to jump on the bonnet as well.

My original thought process was he was in such a state he wanted to drive off and maybe he was under the influence of something and she didn't want him to go hurt himself or someone else.

That’s my guess. Various articles mentioning he’s had problems with his mental health, anger and relationships.

Jumping onto the bonnet is an act of desperation. I think it’s most likely she was extremely concerned he was going to harm himself.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back