Remove this Banner Ad

avishka5

150 game legend.
10k Posts A Star Wars Fan Zombie Lover
Sep 1, 2014
Perth SOR
AFL Club
West Coast
One thing our midfield unit is doing much better this year, is hitting the scoreboard.
Gaff 11 goals
Lycett 8 goals
Redden 7 Goals
Yeo 7 goals
NN 6 goals (in 14.5 games)
Boots 5 goals (12 games)
Masten 5 goals (15 games)
Hutching 4 goals (11 games)
Sheed 4 goals (10 games)

Think Gaff, Redden, Yeo and Boots should all kick over 10 goals for the year and a few of them push +15.

Actually would love to see Gaff push 20 goals.

avishka5

150 game legend.
10k Posts A Star Wars Fan Zombie Lover
Sep 1, 2014
Perth SOR
AFL Club
West Coast
I want boots to be released more now that redden and Yeo are doing so well inside. He's done enough heavy lifting in the last few years, I want his class more on the outside running through fifty. He should be a goal a game player.
Will be hard now with NN injured and him being out best clearance mid.

Aug 14, 2004
Brisbane
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Cardiff City
Time for a post-premiership season update.

Top 50 players for the 2018 season according to this means of ranking:
Mids2018-r34-top50.jpg

Top 50 midfield rankings 2018: note the new generation rising to the top.

Shuey becomes the first West Coast player since 2007 to finish inside the top 10.
Yeo making an overwhelmingly successful transition into the midfield places 15th.
Sheed on the back of a stunning finals campaign makes a late charge into the 50.

As you can see also, current trading target T.Kelly is ranked #38.

List of club midfield rankings for the premiership season:
Mids2018-r34-EAGLES.jpg

West Coast Eagles midfield rankings 2018: note the significant improvement in ranking across the majority of the squad.

As can be clearly seen, despite losing two of our top four ranked midfielders from 2017 in Priddis (30) and Mitchell (61), this season has been a revelation in terms of our midfield output.
In a further encouraging sign, three players in the above list made their debuts in 2018.

When compared to the rest of the competition, it becomes apparent just how much our midfield output has improved in 2018:
Mids2018-r34-allteams.jpg

Club midfield rankings comparison: Post trade period 2017 and post season 2018. Note improvement from Melbourne and in particular West Coast; decreases from both SA clubs and Sydney.

Or to show it in another way, we have come out of nowhere to have a midfield that is capable of winning the premiership:

Mids2017-18-Compared.jpg

I am more than happy to admit that I was incorrect in my assessment of what could be achieved by the midfield group in 2018.

Further notes:
  • refer to the OP for the method of ranking calculation.
  • this method is far from perfect, but allows an "apples-for-apples" comparison with previous seasons going back to 2005.
  • I currently have a far more comprehensive ranking system (that is also more indicative in my opinion of player output) that covers other positions in addition to midfielders as well. I will probably post more specifically about that during the off-season. [For example, after Round 10 this season, J.Darling was the #1 ranked player in the competition; T.Mitchell was #27].
  • I will post a further update after the trading period is concluded.

Jul 19, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast

View attachment 572057

Shuey becomes the first West Coast player since 2007 to finish inside the top 10.
Yeo making an overwhelmingly successful transition into the midfield places 15th.
Sheed on the back of a stunning finals campaign makes a late charge into the 50.

View attachment 572058
West Coast Eagles midfield rankings 2018: note the significant improvement in ranking across the majority of the squad.

As can be clearly seen, despite losing two of our top four ranked midfielders from 2017 in Priddis (30) and Mitchell (61), this season has been a revelation in terms of our midfield output.
In a further encouraging sign, three players in the above list made their debuts in 2018.

When compared to the rest of the competition, it becomes apparent just how much our midfield output has improved in 2018:
View attachment 572062
Club midfield rankings comparison: Post trade period 2017 and post season 2018. Note improvement from Melbourne and in particular West Coast; decreases from both SA clubs and Sydney.

Or to show it in another way, we have come out of nowhere to have a midfield that is capable of winning the premiership:

View attachment 572063

I am more than happy to admit that I was incorrect in my assessment of what could be achieved by the midfield group in 2018.

Further notes:
  • this method is far from perfect, but allows an "apples-for-apples" comparison with previous seasons going back to 2005.
  • I currently have a far more comprehensive ranking system (that is also more indicative in my opinion of player output) that covers other positions in addition to midfielders as well. I will probably post more specifically about that during the off-season. [For example, after Round 10 this season, J.Darling was the #1 ranked player in the competition; T.Mitchell was #27].

Great work!

How do we stack up if we say replace Masten with Kelly?

Would it be enough to put us up to rank 3 or 4?

Just want see the statistical effect such a move would make.

*edit*

Okay did the work myself the 38 replaces the 53 dropping us 15 points making our total 102. This ranks 4th.

Depending on where Geelongs 5th best midfielder is ranked we may well overtake them and be 3rd.

Then only 3 points to Collingwood in 2nd.

We need to get Kelly. A almost 2nd ranked midfield with our forward and backline...

Last edited:

EagleEgo

Club Legend
Jun 3, 2008
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
The midfield rankings are quite intetesting with different type of players ranked under the term "midfield".
1. Does the "score" really represent how good the "midfielder" was and hence is the ranking correct?
2. Sidebottom at rank 41?
3. Gaff‘s rank?

Last edited:

Trouto

Premiership Player
Jul 3, 2007
Bunbury
AFL Club
West Coast

View attachment 572057

View attachment 572058

View attachment 572062

View attachment 572063

Further notes:
Great post that shows our improvements in 12 months. What's really interesting about this is that the Eagles have transitioned to a predominately outside mid game plan. Realistically, Redden is our only inside bull, but our work and gameplan on the outside has seen us flourish. I daresay that many other teams will be looking at our style and wondering how we did it!

Belltower

Club Legend
Oct 11, 2010
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Great post that shows our improvements in 12 months. What's really interesting about this is that the Eagles have transitioned to a predominately outside mid game plan. Realistically, Redden is our only inside bull, but our work and gameplan on the outside has seen us flourish. I daresay that many other teams will be looking at our style and wondering how we did it!
Yeo and shuey are our inside beasts, Redden has been playing more outside, taking lots of marks

PintSzedSlasher

We Love It
Jul 10, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Wigan Athletic
Was actually thinking of this table (the 2017 one) the other day and wondering where it was. And now bingo!

Great work, although I'm a bit surprised Yeos classifed as outside dominant?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Aug 27, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Royals & Subi
These systems always have quirks. It over rates Geelong, yes they're good inside 50 but 6th and 7th for Contested possession and clearances. Emphasis on top midfielders distorts their midfield quality.

We are.

1st for marks.
1 for contested marks.
3rd for contested possessions.
4th for clearances.
4th for inside 50's.
3rd for marks inside 50.

Can win the ball. Keep it off teams, get it inside 50 and score effectively.

1. Melbourne
2. Collingwood
3. GWS
4 WC

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Aug 14, 2004
Brisbane
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Cardiff City
Thanks all, appreciate the feedback.

As stated previously, this system only takes into account three inputs (contested possessions, clearances and inside 50s), so it is far from being comprehensive and tends to overrate stoppage attendance and potentially errant disposal over effective output. But its simplicity allows for like comparison across the entire competition over the last 14 seasons.

The more comprehensive system alluded to before splits midfield ratings into inside and outside categories, taking into account additional inputs such as score involvements, metres gained and disposal efficiency etc. It should be noted that Gaff is the standout #1 outside midfielder in the competition under this evaluation. Later on I'll probably dedicate a thread on this in its own right.

As to the inside/outside ratings of our midfielders this season, it is an output of their average across the season; and provides a reminder of just how things have evolved so rapidly in 2018.

Yeo played a quarter of his games in defence this year, which has served to skew his rating towards a more outside inclination over the entire season.
Similarly Sheed, who was only deployed in an inside-only focused role after Gaff was suspended.
Take Redden for example - he played the first quarter of the season as an ineffective tagger; then the following two quarters of it as an inside bull; only to finish the season as a damaging outside player on the spread.

kerr87

Cancelled
Sep 22, 2016
AFL Club
West Coast
One thing our midfield unit is doing much better this year, is hitting the scoreboard.
Gaff 11 goals
Lycett 8 goals
Redden 7 Goals
Yeo 7 goals
NN 6 goals (in 14.5 games)
Boots 5 goals (12 games)
Masten 5 goals (15 games)
Hutching 4 goals (11 games)
Sheed 4 goals (10 games)

Think Gaff, Redden, Yeo and Boots should all kick over 10 goals for the year and a few of them push +15.

Actually would love to see Gaff push 20 goals.

To be honest - that is a poor return from our midfield

I think back to Judd, Cousins, Kerr, Embley etc. and they kicked a lot more goals per game.

That being said I believe having a gun forward line reduces the minefields need to kick goals.

That being said I believe having a gun forward line reduces the minefields need to kick goals.
It’s explosive isn’t it?

Nov 13, 2014
Melbourne
AFL Club
West Coast
To be honest - that is a poor return from our midfield

I think back to Judd, Cousins, Kerr, Embley etc. and they kicked a lot more goals per game.

The list assessment at the end of last year by our club was spot on. Adding to the forward line and backing in our current batch of midfielders had me melting after our last draft. Such a great move by all involved at the club.

Happy Mastenator

Chris Masten's Sock Puppet
Apr 16, 2010
Sydney
AFL Club
West Coast
Its interesting to look at the game stats of redden and sheed post gaff suspension, you can see the role change over the course of the remaining gAmes.

They finally moved sheed inside and his contested possessions and clearances sky rocket, with redden going the other way as he fills the outside marking/link role.

Much better as a team for it.

Jul 19, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Thanks all, appreciate the feedback.

As stated previously, this system only takes into account three inputs (contested possessions, clearances and inside 50s), so it is far from being comprehensive and tends to overrate stoppage attendance and potentially errant disposal over effective output. But its simplicity allows for like comparison across the entire competition over the last 14 seasons.

The more comprehensive system alluded to before splits midfield ratings into inside and outside categories, taking into account additional inputs such as score involvements, metres gained and disposal efficiency etc. It should be noted that Gaff is the standout #1 outside midfielder in the competition under this evaluation. Later on I'll probably dedicate a thread on this in its own right.

As to the inside/outside ratings of our midfielders this season, it is an output of their average across the season; and provides a reminder of just how things have evolved so rapidly in 2018.

Yeo played a quarter of his games in defence this year, which has served to skew his rating towards a more outside inclination over the entire season.
Similarly Sheed, who was only deployed in an inside-only focused role after Gaff was suspended.
Take Redden for example - he played the first quarter of the season as an ineffective tagger; then the following two quarters of it as an inside bull; only to finish the season as a damaging outside player on the spread.

If we get Kelly looking forward to your updated analysis.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back