Assistant Coaches

Remove this Banner Ad

I was thinking about the high performance director the other day. We announced that appointment to great fanfare at the end of last year and he's no doubt on a reasonable salary but I'd love to know what he spends his days doing. Certainly low profile. I understand the role is supposed to be "coach to the coaches" rather than coaching the player floater group but similar roles in other clubs seem to have more of a public profile.
I'm thinking he'll be having an unnoticeable influence on how people go about things this season.
Been in high powered sports admin a long time so knows the terrain.
I'd imagine end of this season he starts to make recommendations.Massive appointment they must have thought they had snared high talent.
Credible rumour had it we chased Fagan hard and he does look impressive,but we've appointed the rower and we would do well to have the patience to allow him to assess what he's been employed to judge.

Quite a few have tried, all have failed. Sumich probably the most successful?
Maybe you know more out if topic , can I ask if freo get rid of Ross next year because of result and give him a payout , what does it mean that the payout add to freo football department?

What about Pavlich? Can start his mentorship under Ross. Would be a great forward coach, really help Kersten who models his game after him.

Would be good to have ex Freo players around, at least 1 or 2. What about Jarred Schofield from Subiaco? He ever wanted to be an assistant? More money, career opportunities.

Maybe you know more out if topic , can I ask if freo get rid of Ross next year because of result and give him a payout , what does it mean that the payout add to freo football department?

Fremantle get taxed under the new spending cap rules. Would decimate the clubs coffers. Another questionable decision by the current board and leadership group. A 5 year renewal for a coach that couldn't get us to the first flag. Mind boggles.

What about Pavlich? Can start his mentorship under Ross. Would be a great forward coach, really help Kersten who models his game after him.

Would be good to have ex Freo players around, at least 1 or 2. What about Jarred Schofield from Subiaco? He ever wanted to be an assistant? More money, career opportunities.

I don't pretend to be in the know, but i'm not particularly enthused about that. Seems a very fire and brimstone coach heading a team that dominates on paying its playing list tons more, rather than the tactical wizard we probably need.

Assistant coaches is a big issue for us I reckon though. But i'd prefer to stay away from ex-Freo unless they've spent some time in other coaching environments. I think it's clear that the loss of Lloyd and Kirk has made an impact, those are the calibre of names we probably need to chase.

Always had a soft spot for Ratten after Hase ended his career and then Carlton shat on him.

I imagine the big rower has got his eye on the ball here about whether we need new blood/new structure/new practice or not.
This is his specific area of expertise and responsibility within the club structure.His primary role is to oversee the development of the club's coaching team.
He has also worked with elite sports scientists at national level in two countries so will have an educated opinion there as well.
I think our system and structure is excellent for ensuring we deliver at the highest level.

I don't think Pav wanted to coach

Cam Bruce from Hawks to Blues. Clarkson just keeps turning them out.

Hodge now to coach at the Hawks most likely.

Last edited:
I often find myself asking who would actively pursue any of our assistant coaches.....I don't think anyone would - bar possibly stone who has experience at Sydney and WCE. Acquiring better quality in this area is a must.

I often find myself asking who would actively peruse any of our assistant coaches.....I don't think anyone would - bar possibly stone who has experience at Sydney and WCE. Acquiring better quality in this area is a must.
Haven't we lost Kirk and Lloyd recently?

Agree we need more quality though. Our group feels really inexperienced.

Haven't we lost Kirk and Lloyd recently?

Agree we need more quality though. Our group feels really inexperienced.

Sorry, should have clarified that I meant current assistants. Our group is largely inexperienced and also don't have much standing in the game to command the respect of the playing group in my opinion. I don't necessarily think you have to be a champion of the game, but don't think it hurts either.

Sorry, should have clarified that I meant current assistants. Our group is largely inexperienced and also don't have much standing in the game to command the respect of the playing group in my opinion. I don't necessarily think you have to be a champion of the game, but don't think it hurts either.
Ahh fair enough. I totally agree. Very young group.

You don't need to be a champion but the respect it grants you will help. What you need is to know your stuff, be willing to learn and to be able to effectively communicate with the other coaches and the players.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I often find myself asking who would actively pursue any of our assistant coaches.....I don't think anyone would - bar possibly stone who has experience at Sydney and WCE. Acquiring better quality in this area is a must.

I think only Hale would be a candidate. At least he is still developing and other clubs may view some upside. The others are all meh.

Scott was our Assistant then won a flag first season at the helm with Geelong.

Scott was our Assistant then won a flag first season at the helm with Geelong.
Lets be honest, it wasn't like Scott left us to go and coach a Carlton or Brisbane. He walked into a very plug and play club. The auto-pilot from Flying High could have done a similar job.
Once the likes of Selwood and Dangerfield begin to fade I think he will be shown up as his brother is at North. Let's just hope it takes Geelong the same amount of time to realise as North.

According to Flogdorn the Eagles are looking at their Assistan coaches and Cox and Longmuir are shaky.

JLo would be coup if we got him for Forwards coach. Huge loss in losing Simon Lloyd and Brett kirk. has not replaced that quality.

We also need an a Hodge, McVeigh or Matthew Boyd as our backs coach

Lets be honest, it wasn't like Scott left us to go and coach a Carlton or Brisbane. He walked into a very plug and play club. The auto-pilot from Flying High could have done a similar job.
Once the likes of Selwood and Dangerfield begin to fade I think he will be shown up as his brother is at North. Let's just hope it takes Geelong the same amount of time to realise as North.
I had heard that he was so well thought of at the club that they offered him the senior coaching position while Harvey was still coach. He refused to take it from his head coach though

Mcveigh and Longmuir are two that I think are realistically gettable and also good options.

I saw McVeigh's named mentioned before. If we're talking about the Sydney player then I have a feeling he will play on next year - if not I would absolutely kill to have someone with his brains at our club.

I saw McVeigh's named mentioned before. If we're talking about the Sydney player then I have a feeling he will play on next year - if not I would absolutely kill to have someone with his brains at our club.

I'd like to see Hodge as my first choice for assistant coach. He's got that bit of an anti-social streak with a good footy brain. Will likely be a successful senior coach if he goes down that path

Remove this Banner Ad

Back