ATP Masters Series 1000: Indian Wells (+ WTA)

Remove this Banner Ad

Butcher32

Cancelled
Day Off
Dec 15, 2011
Zurich
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
lol@upset. When will nadal get some credit for beating federer (other than oh look federer handed him the match) and when will federer get some credit for beating nadal despite the so called "matchup" problem.Didnt look like a matchup problem at all today :rolleyes: surprise surprise

pepsi

Brownlow Medallist
Feb 4, 2008
Maribyrnong
AFL Club
Essendon
Eh, he's still a minimum of about 3000 points behind of Djokovic at the moment. He's really going to have to win at least one slam to get there.

He won the world tour finals and quite a few events in recent months. Now a great chance at Indian Wells. Tennis isn't ONLY grand slams. What do you want them to do, make the grand slams worth 3 or 4 times as much as any other event? The other events would lose all their meaning. And it's not like he's bombed out early in the slams.

He's a long way from number 1, but if he wins tomorrow and does well in Miami and has a decent clay season I don't think it would be an injustice if he got to #2.

The time frame I am seeing Federer get back to #1 is probably around the time of the US Open. Here is the points breakdown since after last years US Open:

Federer - 5,410 (5,810 if he wins IW)
Murray - 3,210
Djokovic - 3,100
Nadal - 2,530

Federer needs to get to about 12,000 points to get back the #1 ranking and there is plenty on offer over the next 6 months.

I honestly don't know if there's another sport in the world that puts so much stock in rankings. Surely people are able to make their own decision whether a player is the best in the world without needing to refer to some arbitrary system of ranking players. All the ranking system does is represent who has done the best over a wide range of tournaments in the past twelve months - and, if you want to be cynical, it is probably just a way to get the crowds into lesser events. If you want to make a case that a player is only as good as his Grand Slam results make out, just ignore the rest of the tournaments they play. It is pretty easy.

yeah but he can overtake rafa before montecarlo :rolleyes: .The montecarlo points will be dropped on april 15th...which means fed will be number 2 for a day.Rafa will get it back ok, but Drummond hit the nail on its head.You can be number 2 by making 1 slam final a year vs a guy who made 3 slam finals and won a slam.Figure that out

but rankings are important cause these determine the seedings! not many sport based on knockout swiss system like tennis.Lose 1 and you are out.You certainly dont wanna be playing Nadal or Djokovic in the quarterfinals, would you?

Rankings are a massive part of the sport, particularly the men's side. You always hear players go on about reaching the top 50, 20, 10, 5 and staying at #1. It is an integral part of the sport. Without rankings you could have top players meeting in the 1st round of tournaments.

If Federer gets back to #1 without winning a slam, is anyone going to really mind? It is not as if he would not be a worthy #1 again. Tennis players like Nadal, Federer and Djokovic worry about the history and statistics of the sport and I am sure it means a lot to them to try and have records with their name attached to it.

Federer has many records and 2 he would want the most are to win the Grand Slam and to hold the record for most weeks at #1. The chance to get the Grand Slam is over for him, but I think he has made it his primary goal to get back to the #1 spot and beat Sampras' record of most weeks as the #1 player. And considering he is over 30 now it would be a brilliant effort.

I don't want to derail the thread and I am certainly not a Fed fanboi (Sampras is my favourite player and I never wanted Federer to beat his grand slam titles tally!), I just think it is a really interesting discussion and it would be exciting if Federer could do it.

Look when I made my comment earlier about Fed getting closer to the #1 ranking it was a little bit tongue in cheek. I made a bet with my dad in January that Federer would get back to #1. I still think there is a strong chance of that happening and if you look at the points breakdown since the end of the 2011 US Open, Federer is in a good position right now.

Aug 11, 2008
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Liverpool
The time frame I am seeing Federer get back to #1 is probably around the time of the US Open. Here is the points breakdown since after last years US Open:

Federer - 5,410 (5,810 if he wins IW)
Murray - 3,210
Djokovic - 3,100
Nadal - 2,530

Federer needs to get to about 12,000 points to get back the #1 ranking and there is plenty on offer over the next 6 months.

Federer will need to win 1 of the 3 remaining slams to do it. The people worrying about a Wozniacki scenario can stop. Even if Federer manages to take the top spot around September, he'll have plenty of work ahead to actually finish the year there because of how well he did after the USO last year.

Butcher32

Cancelled
Day Off
Dec 15, 2011
Zurich
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Federer will need to win 1 of the 3 remaining slams to do it. The people worrying about a Wozniacki scenario can stop. Even if Federer manages to take the top spot around September, he'll have plenty of work ahead to actually finish the year there because of how well he did after the USO last year.

it is entirely possible for Roger to be number 1 without winning a slam this year.All he needs is Djokovic to lose in the semis of wimbledon and US open and he has to equal his last years performance.If he can pick up the maimi title and a some decent clay court wins he will get there.I still think he is the heavy favourite for the indoor season.I cant see anyone beating him there, just like i see Rafa sweeping the clay season this year.

Mint Condition

Club Legend
Mar 28, 2003
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney

If he can get to number 1 for 2 weeks I don't think he'd mind too much if he doesn't finish the year there.

I still think it's pretty unlikely but it's good he's going for it and it'd be a great achievement if he got there no matter how he did it.

Don't forget we have Olympics as well, so that will play into equation. If he can win Wimbledona nd Olympics, you imagine he would close if not no.1

Glad Federer was able to beat Nadal (more for the rivarly then anything) but I think Isner would a bigger shot against Nadal than Federer.

gaelictiogar

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 23, 2006
east melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
I think people should calm down about talking of Federer regaining the top spot. He won't.

It's great to see him win at Indian Wells but that is a best of 3 event on a surface that suits him. Clay won't suit him and it is probable that he is no longer able to perform over 7 potential 5 setters. It is almost unimaginable that he will win in Paris, unlikely he will win at Wimbledon or NYC and he is miles away from regaining No.1.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back