Aussies Aussie watch - Towards Rio

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just reading your post gives me goosebumps. That was an incredible olympic moment for Australia and really set up our olympic efforts overall in sydey. I was watching that final at a cousins birthday and there were about 20 of us around the TV yelling and cheering the aussies on.

100% agree - amazing call from Dennis too. Thorpe mowing down Hall in the last 25 metres was peak Olympics for Australia - don't think it's been better since that moment.

Unfortunately, I think Australia will do worse at these Olympics than 2012. Bookmark it.
Golds - 7 or total medals - 35?? Actually Golds are now 8 given Tallent was bumped up from silver to gold.

There are 14 freestyle swimming events inc the relays of the 32 swimming events. Oz could win 7 of them.

McEvoy is a big chance to win both 50m and 100m free events as is Cate Campbell and Bronte will push her in both events. The women's 4x100m free will start favourites. Mark Horton has a time almost 2 seconds faster than the 2nd ranked swimmer in the 400m and he improved his 1500m pb at the trials by about 10 seconds and is ranked 4 seconds behind the Italian top ranked 1,500m. If he continues to make big steps he might get a surprise gold as he wasn't really pushed at the trials and won by 9 or 10 seconds. The 4 x 200m men's relay team will push the yanks.

American swimmer Katie Ledecky, will probably win the 200m, 400m, 800m and lead the winning 4 x 200m freestyle events, but they dont have that sort of swimmer in the men' freestyle events.

The backstroke swimmers will start favourite in 3 of the 4 events in Larkin and Seebom and are tipped to medal in the other, so you could have 5 freestyle golds and 3 backstroke golds = 8 which will equal the adjusted London gold total.

The swimmers will win between 15 and 18 medals. Johhny Betrand has been planning for almost 3 years to make sure the London debacle wont be repeated. Since Atlanta in 1996 swimming has produced between 28% and 42% of Oz's total medals
1996 12 of 41, 2000 18 of 58, 2004 15 of 50, 2008 20 of 46, 2012 10 of 35.

If swimming deliver as expected, Oz will win between 12 and 16 golds and between 35 and 48 medals in total.

Saw an unofficial comp in Taekwondo on the w/e. Both Marton's won their bouts comfortably. Look in good form for Rio, which will be their last comp. Big chance for a medal.

Golds - 7 or total medals - 35?? Actually Golds are now 8 given Tallent was bumped up from silver to gold.

There are 14 freestyle swimming events inc the relays of the 32 swimming events. Oz could win 7 of them.

McEvoy is a big chance to win both 50m and 100m free events as is Cate Campbell and Bronte will push her in both events. The women's 4x100m free will start favourites. Mark Horton has a time almost 2 seconds faster than the 2nd ranked swimmer in the 400m and he improved his 1500m pb at the trials by about 10 seconds and is ranked 4 seconds behind the Italian top ranked 1,500m. If he continues to make big steps he might get a surprise gold as he wasn't really pushed at the trials and won by 9 or 10 seconds. The 4 x 200m men's relay team will push the yanks.

American swimmer Katie Ledecky, will probably win the 200m, 400m, 800m and lead the winning 4 x 200m freestyle events, but they dont have that sort of swimmer in the men' freestyle events.

The backstroke swimmers will start favourite in 3 of the 4 events in Larkin and Seebom and are tipped to medal in the other, so you could have 5 freestyle golds and 3 backstroke golds = 8 which will equal the adjusted London gold total.

The swimmers will win between 15 and 18 medals. Johhny Betrand has been planning for almost 3 years to make sure the London debacle wont be repeated. Since Atlanta in 1996 swimming has produced between 28% and 42% of Oz's total medals
1996 12 of 41, 2000 18 of 58, 2004 15 of 50, 2008 20 of 46, 2012 10 of 35.

If swimming deliver as expected, Oz will win between 12 and 16 golds and between 35 and 48 medals in total.

I wish I could share your optimism, but the Yanks seem to always find a way to beat our swimmers at the Olympics, they are superior "racers" forged in their cutthroat college system and their district/regional/state/national trials system. ;)

I wish I could share your optimism, but the Yanks seem to always find a way to beat our swimmers at the Olympics, they are superior "racers" forged in their cutthroat college system and their district/regional/state/national trials system. ;)
Unfortunately this is often pretty true.

The yanks aren't as confident as usual for their swimming team, which means they will probably win 10-12 rather than 14 to 16 golds but they will get 30+ medals.

Brian Cazenuve of Sports Illustrated the last 4 or 5 Olympics does his prediction of medal winners for all 300+ events a week before the games, attended the US swim trials and wrote the following article last week about US and world swimmers chances at the Olympics.

http://olympics.si.com/olympics/2016/07/06/olympics-2016-rio-swimming-michael-phelps-katie-ledecky

I agree with you that the Yanks know how to win as we saw with Adrian over Magnussen, but they wont have Phelps winning 6 to 8 golds. But Swimming Australia has learnt from the BS of London. We might win 2 gold and 10 silvers instead of 7 and 5, or even 4 and 8, but the whole team will perform better than London.

Chief Will there be dedicated threads to individual sports ie Swimming thread to discuss swimming , Athletics for Athletics etc etc? Or will people be allowed to make a thread on the 100m Running ?
In the past people who are interested in a particular sport start a new thread. I've started an athletics one the last couple of Olympics, for either London or Beijing it was 2, one for track events and one for field events. I've also started a swimming thread, a rowing thread one games and a cycling thread as well. Then people start general discussion threads, sometimes completely ignoring the discussion going on in the sporting threads, and other times to reflect stuff not covered in those sports threads, ie about commentators, TV coverage, too many bloody ads etc.

Later this week or weekend I will set up a links thread, like I have in the past with relevant links to sporting federations, media, bibles of the sports, wiki pages, official Olympic pages etc.

The replay always brings goosebumps- Great call by Dennis Commetti.

Klim's lead off leg was the key, the Americans were always playing catch up in their first 50 metre legs from then on, and in the second leg they were carrying the piano on their backs for the last 15 or 20 metres.

I think we are a big chance to win it this Olympics as well, might be the the big chance for Magnussen to redeem himself ;):D
I was there that night. I was looking at an old post from Beijing about The Times - 50 greatest Olympic Moments to see how it stacked with the NBC list and found this post I made in it.

Klim's swim was 48.18 for the first leg of the 4 x 100m that set the world record not his first 50m. I got a ticket in the initial ballot and was up in the nose bleed section. That night was a sensational start to the Olympics for Oz, with Thorpe swimming the anchor leg and beating Gary Hall Jnr after an hour earlier winning the 400m. Although I am an athletics fan it was an equal to Freeman's win as it was the first times the USA had lost an Olympic (which were first held in 1964) or World Champs 4 x 100m swim. They have been disqualified once or twice but never out swum until that moment.

I remember in London, our swimmers were rubbish on the dives and the turns - all of them. It must have been the coaching because it affected all the team. Either we weren't up with the latest techniques, or we were trying some new whizz-bang ideas that failed miserably. Hopefully that has been fixed.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I remember in London, our swimmers were rubbish on the dives and the turns - all of them. It must have been the coaching because it affected all the team. Either we weren't up with the latest techniques, or we were trying some new whizz-bang ideas that failed miserably. Hopefully that has been fixed.

Probs still asleep from the stillnox

Becoming very likely now that Andrew Bogut will not he participating at these games - for reasons other than his current recovery from injury or fears for the Zika virus.

But the "cover story" will be "the injury".

;)

Becoming very likely now that Andrew Bogut will not he participating at these games - for reasons other than his current recovery from injury or fears for the Zika virus.

But the "cover story" will be "the injury".

;)

Details

Don't apologise. Thanks for the info it's good to be updated. Very excited to see how the boomers go, especially as we can't face the usa in the round of 16 like we have in the past 2 OG.
This. Probably our best opportunity to medal for a while

Looking ahead 4 years - great run in the World Juniors by Jess Thornton last night. 4th in the 400m final (same time as 3rd - she forgot to dip. Her coach will beat her up about that:p).

And, yes - before you ask - she was the only white girl in the race.

"Olympics: Australia to boycott Rio athletes village, 'not safe, not ready' - team chief"

Kitty making friends already:$ . why is it always us who complains about this? or it seems to be us and the west.

im sure it will be fine in the end. this always happens before the games. even the Sydney games had some of this (not that i am old enough to remember)

"Olympics: Australia to boycott Rio athletes village, 'not safe, not ready' - team chief"

Kitty making friends already:$ . why is it always us who complains about this? or it seems to be us and the west.

im sure it will be fine in the end. this always happens before the games. even the Sydney games had some of this (not that i am old enough to remember)

Kitty is already complaining lol No surprise. She wants a 5 star Hotel.

I think the venue will be fine once the Olympics begin, the same happened in Sydney and Athens and the village was fine in the end.

Kitty is already complaining lol No surprise. She wants a 5 star Hotel.

I think the venue will be fine once the Olympics begin, the same happened in Sydney and Athens and the village was fine in the end.
Nope not Sydney. There was no problem with the athletes village built by the private sector at Newington, which although it was an existing suburb with old navy ammunition depot it was turned into a new residential area which now houses about 30,000 people. It was finished about 5 months before the first athlete arrived. The big problem with Sydney 6 months before the games was the train system, derailments and other issues until they go the pre split up into 4 train business CEO Ron Christie in to fix things. Edit some point in the late 1990's NSW trains were split into 4, City trains, freight, country trains and others (coal trains etc), all were corporatized ready to be privatized at some point, which they never have been. There was a lack of co-ordination and it cause big problems. Christie came in because he ran the whole system before the split for a decade or so.

There were complaints about size of beds, decor etc - peripheral stuff, not exposed live wires and water over flowing down the wall and thru light fittings like in Rio. That should have been checked and approved before it was handed over by the private contractor. The story is that there are 5 or 6 different contractors who built the 31 x 17 story buildings to house 11,000 athletes and different private contractor were responsible for different buildings, so its not as if 10,000 athletes have to be rehoused. Looks like we got the dud one. Australia having a team of over 400, got its own building.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back