wellsy

Club Legend
Sep 16, 2002
Perth
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
NUFC, EPFC, Force
In the 2nd minute our defence was sliced open by a bad pass by McKain and Indonesia should of probably scored but a good save by Kalac.

Probably should beat them comfortably but after this start im waiting for us to just scrap through by a dodgy penalty :D

Nice goal by Milicic after a good cross by Lazaridis.

However Indonesia should have been 1-0 up, the defence was sliced up open too easily. And I wish Emerton would stop trying to be so tricky with his backheels and step overs, just shoot the bloody thing!

Zdrillic scored our 3rd. Still a pretty crap match played in virtual slow motion. The Indonesians are good passers of the ball, but lack that clinical finish. Was brave of them to compete on the day of an earthquake in their country.

Nice cross in from Lazaridis for our 1st one. But far too few highlights against feeble dwarfs who should be seling t-shirts in Kuta.

Good to see Trumper from the GGA go over. He said it was crap live though.

JF

Firstly may I give the Perth soccer fans a fair spray. For years we've heard about their passionate soccer community and their support for the Glory.

Yet the national team turns up for the first time in over a decade and less than 14,000 show up! Woeful performance, don't think Australia should be playing there any time soon.

Onto the game, better than Iraq, but not by much. Milicec was far more lively than Aloisi up front, and Kalac's distribution was far superior to Schwarzer. Lazar was excellent.

Amazing that we are 11 games unbeaten.

In fairness to Perth the game would surely have drawn a better crowd at MES. Indonesia on a Tuesday night in a friendly at Subi is hardly going to have people rushing to get in.

As far as the performance goes, well it never got out of second gear really. Thought Milicevic did well on his debut despite a few nervous moments, his pace stood out like a beacon, covers the ground much quicker than Popovic. McKain also did OK in the defensive midfield slot as well, although that misplaced pass of his in the first minute was a shocker. Props to Lazaridis & Vidmar who had excellent games. Thought Sterjovksi & Culina also performed very well. Excellent game from Ante Milicic who took his chances very well, looks the best bet apart from Viduka as the striker in a 4-3-3. Kalac looked very solid but then again the Indonesians hardly threatened. Big disappointment was Brett Emerton, he's the biggest show pony. He messes around with the ball so much and sees the need to try and dribble past everyone (adding in stepovers & flicks) before he will shoot or cross the ball. On last nights performance I am convinced that Elrich should come in for him. He had a fantastic half of Football and was everywhere, provided so many options going forward, always looked dangerous and unlike Emerton was prepared to cross & shoot on sight.

We are 11 unbeaten, but we were 14 unbeaten in the 97 campaign and it didn't mean sh*t at the end of the day. Major improvement is still needed, especially in the defence & with the tactics.

Ahmed Elrich is a gun! Craig Foster was right when he said he created the spark. He is quick, enthusastic, tough on the ball and he can play!

dyertribe said:
Insipid game.

Our boys had the air of a Premiership favourite forced to play a trial match in Mt. Gambier before the real stuff starts.

Yeah, wasn't it flat? The only people who looked like they wanted to be there were the Indonesians. Even after goals the Aussies were strangely subdued. They just appeared to be going through the motions. Maybe they were tired. Or were missing the intensity of playing for their European clubs.

But it was a bit sad to see them so glum-looking even after scoring goals.

JF

It was a boring game, but I thought there were some positives - Milicic took his chance really well, Lazaridis was energetic and fast (although I'm still not convinced he's a full-back), Milicevic setlled down after a nervous start, Vidmar was excellent and Ahmad Elrich is doing everything he can to get a start, and purely judging on that game, deserves a spot ahead of Emerton, who was awful. It would have been a better game had Indonesia not played for damage limitation for the majority of the game - if we wanted an opponent like that, we'd look to American Samoa.

No defending the Perth crowd either - I thought it was pathetic, considering they've had 12 months since Glory last played a match in anger.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

GOALden Hawk said:
Firstly may I give the Perth soccer fans a fair spray. For years we've heard about their passionate soccer community and their support for the Glory.

Yet the national team turns up for the first time in over a decade and less than 14,000 show up! Woeful performance, don't think Australia should be playing there any time soon.

Ray Nolan said:
In fairness to Perth the game would surely have drawn a better crowd at MES. Indonesia on a Tuesday night in a friendly at Subi is hardly going to have people rushing to get in.

Yeah the game would of been better at MES and i dont know why the game wasnt played there... maybe they were expecting some big huge crowd or something.

People will turn up to the games when we get some decent opposition and a the team is playing some decent football. Its like going to watch Newcastle v Carlisle in the league cup 3rd round at SJP only 20,000 would probably rock up to that game.

When we move to Asia and Perth is in the best time zone for the games and some decent teams start turning up then the crowds will begin to rock up.

I guess the one thing that I will say is that there's 7 games (Germany-CC, Argentina-CC, Tunisia-CC, Colombia-London Friendly, New Zealand-London Friendly, Solomons-OFC Quallies) until the big one, and we have 7 games to answer the questions raised from both this game and Iraq. And people should remember that we need to peak as a team in November when we play the South American team-Not now.

Don't we play Croatia in London as well?

And the Argies will give us a pasting.

I was at the match. Was great to finally see the Roos in Perth

The Crowd looked like more then 13,000.

Reasons why the crowd was so low: ******** Venue, ******** opposition, Midweek game (Easter), No Advertising/Promotion whatsoever.

Taking all those things into account and 13,000 doesnt actually seem that bad.

No wonder the FFA have begun a post mortem into Subiaco Oval and they are taking all the blame for the low attendance and they are saying that it hasnt affected perth chances of hosting more internationals in the future.

FFA Please shall we get another international over here DO NOT schedule the game at SUBIACO play it at MES!!!!!!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back