Awesome movies thread II

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Have seen quite a few movies of late just because I just set up the system... both old and new... and yes, some oldies I should've seen a long time ago, but I didn't

First, I aint a movie buff, and don't know s**t about actors, directors, writers or producers...

My genre of choice is crime/mob, but for me, once I see a flaw in a movie (which is trying to be serious) i don't enjoy it...

So i'll start

New:
Black Swan - 7/10
Thought it was a good movie, with a hot lesbian scene (only reason I chose to watch it). I hate watching a movie being told there will be a twist... because I could see it coming... but had I not known that, I would've enjoyed the movie more

True Grit - 5/10
Cannot believe this movie is up for best picture. It is as basic a Western Story can be. A story of a bounty hunter... a geez I wonder what happens... sorry, but I just ruined it for everyone... even in the inbetween part, you just knows whats gonna happen... everything was too basic for my liking... the girl in that movie was exceptional however, very very talented... I don't know if she's nominated for anything, but job well done...

Matt Damon and Jeff Bridges were ok, but nothing special

127 hours - 7/10
Good movie in all, with a cool look at how you can handle been in that position for that period of time... One thing I didn't realise about the movie was something very obvious had I just took in the title 127hours. Don't think this movie is about the whole arm cutting... but the actual 127hours he spent being stuck... I heard that people collapsed and s**t watching it... thats just weak, cause really it was that gruesome.. I felt more ill in the stomach hearing the actual interview with the guy on radio explaining how he cut off his arm... the movie doesn't focus on that.
Thought James Franco was good... alot better than his Spiderman movie role...

The Fighter - 8/10
Fantastic story, fantastic acting and fantastic movie. It's my pick of the newer movies that I've seen. Thought Bale was a level above everyone else, but no-one else disappointed. I felt some parts were about to get corny, but it didn't... it held it weight in dramatic scenes. I gotta admit, i'm a sucker for boxing movies, but this one is more drama than boxing...

Inception - 6.5/10
Most overrated movie this year. It was made very well, and from special effects, to the face value of the story and acting were very good. But as I indicated earlier... if you want to stretch people's minds... make you there isn't in holes in the story... and frankly, there were quite a few. Before people say I didn't understand it... I did understand every last bit of it... to the point where I understood it too much hence picking out the flaws. I looked up several question marks and the general answer was "plot hole"...
I think Chris Nolan tried to take it that little bit too far that he couldn't fully complete it...

Planning to see the king's speech, unstoppable and faster and will report soon

Semi Oldies - Movies in the 2000s that I only just saw
Pan's Labyrinth (2006) (Spanish) - 9/10
Absolutely loved it... I heard alot of stuff about this movie and it didn't disappoint. Even thought it was advertised as a fantasy story with a kid involved, this is definitely not a kids movies and I would say it is 70% historic/war and 30% fantasy
Thought every actor played their role to perfection.
If you haven't seen it, go see it now.

Oldboy (2003) (Korean) - 7.5/10
Another foreign movie I saw recently in which i heard good things about. The only part of this movie that didn't score it higher was the acting in some scenes... it was very very good story (shivers) and good start, middle and end (shivers)...
I won't give nothing else away, but worth a watch

Hotel Rwanda (2004) - 8.5/10
Cannot believe I didn't watch this movie earlier. The whole movie just grabs hold of you and doesn't let go. To realise this was based on a true story puts the whole movie on a pedestal. Again, really liked the acting in this movie, and I can tell they could've stretched it but didn't. Also opens your eyes to the harsh world we live in.

Harker & Splendini :D

Deeply offended there, Toad :(

I'm not that old...

Titicut follies is next on my list......

sounds like misogynistic torture pr0n on broadway. Alpha1 will check it out, but will be in for a surprise.

ended up watching Life During Wartime...Todd Solondz's sequel of sorts to the great black comedy Happiness, same characters, different actors, felt a bit like a redux.....similar awkward and uncomfortable scenes....a lot of the laughs are more along the lines of 'I can't believe this guys audacity to film that', although it felt a bit there, done that, it is what he does well and still better than the junk hollywood is putting out.....6.5/10

Thanks for the second opinion Harks, 'buying' Pan's Labyrinth as we type.

My pleasure, but I don't know what I did.

Maybe a "bandwagonner" but Pan's Labyrinth was one of my favourite movies of the '00s and I'd find it hard to imagine anyone not enjoying it.
"Let the Right One In" had a similar feel to it. I haven't viewed the American version but from all reports they did a good take on it.

Did the whole "Zeitgeist" thing which swayed from cringeworthy in parts, to sublime in other parts.
I guess we just like to hear what we want to hear.

Addendum:
Just thought to have a little read on Zeitgeist's writer/producr/director etc etc., Peter Joseph
The guy is only 32 years old now.
What sort of childhood would someone who is so obsessed about big ticket issues have had?
May make for one interesting man or an absolute fraud

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hotel Rwanda (2004) - 8.5/10
Cannot believe I didn't watch this movie earlier. The whole movie just grabs hold of you and doesn't let go. To realise this was based on a true story puts the whole movie on a pedestal. Again, really liked the acting in this movie, and I can tell they could've stretched it but didn't. Also opens your eyes to the harsh world we live in.

Had to watch this movie for psychology last year. Really well done.

Been watching a few Brit films lately..

Four Lions - brilliant.

Barry: [car breaks down] F**k, F**k, f**k it!
Omar: Did you fix this then, Barry?
Barry: Yes, I fixed it!
Omar: Did ya?
Barry: It's the parts... they're Jewish.
Omar: What parts in a car are Jewish?
[pause]
Omar: Hmm?
Fessal: Spark plugs.
Barry: Spark plugs! Jews invented spark plugs to control global traffic.

My post in the listening thread reminded me of this 2006 doco, an absolute hoot, these guys crank enthusiast up to 11.

[YOUTUBE]CuEj90rEphI[/YOUTUBE]

The Splendinis (leading the exciting lifestyle we do) had a big (long) weekend of movies:

Fri:
Fritt Vilt (Cold Prey) - 6.5/10

Sat:
Carlton v Geelong - 9/10
The Adjustment Bureau - 5/10
Happiness (rewatch for me) - 8/10

Sun:
13 Tzameti (rewatch for me) - 9/10
Rare Exports - 7.5/10

Mon:
The Rite - 5/10
Cargo - 8/10