Tasmania Congratulations on Tassie License. Mens team to enter 2028. Womens team TBA. Other details TBA 3/5

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I rarely watch Footy Classified, but I couldn't sleep last night and had it on (it's on late here in Sydney).

You are right, McGuire just hogs the conversation too often, it's hardly any motivation for me to watch it again any time soon.
It's on late here as well. Eddie is such a w***er. I support a Tassie team, but...
I'm not racist, but...

Ed at it again last night with his Tassie bashing. Talked over poor Caro so much she just gave up talking.

I think people need to stop using the poor performances off field as an excuse not to give Tassie a team. Those two sides were placed in non-AFL areas and no one in those areas really asked for them.

How about people compare the potential success of Tasmania to the four teams in WA/SA. All have been successful in traditional AFL states. It's no surprise that those four clubs are supportive of the Tassie bid.
Caro was confident Gil would get it done. She needs to change the narrative. Onsted of talking about the failure of GSW & GC, talk about the success of WC and Adelaide.

I rarely watch Footy Classified, but I couldn't sleep last night and had it on (it's on late here in Sydney).

You are right, McGuire just hogs the conversation too often, it's hardly any motivation for me to watch it again any time soon.
The irony is not lost on me that in an episode where they spoke about the mysogynistic behaviour of Jordan De Goey, Ed is there speaking over the only woman on the panel every time she speaks. Fat Ed is just a disgusting person and shouldn't really get a voice at all given his past indiscretions.

And this isn't some token female on the panel either. Caro is one of the most established journos in the game and deserves to have her voice heard.

It's on late here as well. Eddie is such a w***er. I support a Tassie team, but...
I'm not racist, but...
Exactly.

If he supposedly supports a Tasmanian team, well make that his focus and his argument and express his opinions accordingly.

McGuire is totally about self-promotion. Even his beloved Collingwood runs second to brand McGuire.

Exactly.

If he supposedly supports a Tasmanian team, well make that your focus and your argument and express your opinions accordingly.

McGuire is totally about self-promotion. Even his beloved Collingwood runs second to brand McGuire.
He said last night that every expansion except Port and Crowd was stuffed up. Freo? WC?

Caro was confident Gil would get it done. She needs to change the narrative. Onsted of talking about the failure of GSW & GC, talk about the success of WC and Adelaide.
At least that way you are somewhat comparing apples to apples, because Tassie, like those two examples, would be establishing a side in an existing AFL area.

It's disingenuous to compare Tassie's bid to GWS & GC, because in those two cases not only do you need to convert people to the new club, for a lot of them you need to convert them to the game as well.

He said last night that every expansion except Port and Crowd was stuffed up. Freo? WC?
He's just trying to justify his point by making things up.

Every expansion club ever brought into the league from a heartland state has been successful. All of the clubs from non-traditional footy states have been shaky.

At least that way you are somewhat comparing apples to apples, because Tassie, like those two examples, would be establishing a side in an existing AFL area.

It's disingenuous to compare Tassie's bid to GWS & GC, because in those two cases not only do you need to convert people to the new club, for a lot of them you need to convert them to the game as well.
Neither has GC or WC increased the player pool (yet). No increase in the number of players from GC or Western Sydney since 2010. Tassie has a good chance to increase their draft numbers. Been neglected for so long.

One other interesting point that came up on FC last night was the potential for Alastair Clarkson to be the inaugural coach of a Tasmanian side.

Given the floated entry year of 2025 (previously mentioned by Gil and again last night by Caro), having Clarko signed up as coach starting from next year would fit the same timeline as GWS had with Sheedy. Clarko would have the chance to setup the VFL side and develop players ready to bring the side into the AFL in 2025.

One other interesting point that came up on FC last night was the potential for Alastair Clarkson to be the inaugural coach of a Tasmanian side.

Given the floated entry year of 2025 (previously mentioned by Gil and again last night by Caro), having Clarko signed up as coach starting from next year would fit the same timeline as GWS had with Sheedy. Clarko would have the chance to setup the VFL side and develop players ready to bring the side into the AFL in 2025.
Sounds good. There's potential to make Tassie a competitive side from year one, and that should be the aim. They don't have to make finals in year one, but no one wants to see them getting smashed by 100+ points every week when they're starting out.

West Coast was in deep financial s**t in their 3rd year and had to be bailed out. Freo hit some rocks after about 6 years. On field the club underachieved until about 2006. Maybe that's what he's on about, except you could put virtually every club in that category at some stage over the last few decades.

Clarko as coach and Brendan gale as ceo would be a good sell to future recruits

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I dont like it, prefer 18 BUT, we've gone away from that to 22 interchanged.
Dealing with the consequences & more teams might be a solution.

Thats another reason too many teams

Used to be 20 run on now there is 22 plus a spare for concussion. Was it not 18 and two on interchange in the old days?

So since the 12 teams 7 teams have effectively been added if you count the extra two or so each game day

I think the key learning from the Suns is that you need experienced footy people at the club from day one. The first two signings should be an experienced footy manager and coach.

Clarko is the obvious candidate for coach depending on the entry timeline. For footy manager I'd target David Noble (assuming he does get the sack from North as expected).

West Coast was in deep financial s**t in their 3rd year and had to be bailed out. Freo hit some rocks after about 6 years. On field the club underachieved until about 2006. Maybe that's what he's on about, except you could put virtually every club in that category at some stage over the last few decades.
Those clubs didn’t have a state government prepared to financially back them for the first 15 years either . When you look at it the Tasmanian expansion would be the lowest risk financially the afl has ever taken with a new club

Yes but that doesn't mean it was stuffed up. Just that it is not easy. Any new business will find the first years the hardest. Freo and WC were always safe bets. As it Tassie.

Interesting to hear that Hawk's future new President, Peter Nankivell, is all for Tassie team.
Unfortunately won't take up position until later in year.
Surely Kennett's vote needs to reflect the views of his entire club, not just his own?

We've got a majority of CEOs in favour of a Tassie team. We've got the players in favour (via the players association). We've got the AFL executive in favour and we've got the fans (not just Tasmanians) in favour.

How can a few selfish presidents possibly justify voting against this?

While it is stretch to compare a Tasmanian team to West Coast or Adelaide, I think Tasmania could capture a similar market and support to Port Adelaide.

That's definitely a much more meaningful comparison than to GWS or Gold Coast.
Yeah it’a even different to port really they got the majority of there support from there sanfl clubs roots there growth was always going to be limited when you consider the majority of the rest of sa follow the crows

Surely Kennett's vote needs to reflect the views of his entire club, not just his own?

We've got a majority of CEOs in favour of a Tassie team. We've got the players in favour (via the players association). We've got the AFL executive in favour and we've got the fans (not just Tasmanians) in favour.

How can a few selfish presidents possibly justify voting against this?
And it will be financially and economically viable and sustainable, or else the AFL wouldn't even be seriously considering it. The only decent argument is that there are too many teams, but again, 15 of the 18 clubs this season have been competitive, and two last week (West Coast and Essendon) showed that they could play better than they have been. North is genuinely s**t, but it's a shame because they were competitive during the second half of last year. I'm convinced they can produce better footy than they have been.

Yes but that doesn't mean it was stuffed up. Just that it is not easy. Any new business will find the first years the hardest. Freo and WC were always safe bets. As it Tassie.
Agree on your first point, but WA is a very different scenario than Tassie. Perth has 10 times the population of Hobart for one, and WA's GSP is nearly 10 times that of Tassie.

It was good to hear from Caro that both WA teams (and SA teams) support the bid though. And I doubt she'd be making it up.

Agree on your first point, but WA is a very different scenario than Tassie. Perth has 10 times the population of Hobart for one, and WA's GSP is nearly 10 times that of Tassie.

It was good to hear from Caro that both WA teams (and SA teams) support the bid though. And I doubt she'd be making it up.
It sounds like Collingwood, Sydney, Gold Coast, and maybe Hawthorn and North are against it. The others either support it or could come on board. If I'm correct, that's 13-5. I bet they're looking for 12+ yes votes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back