Beams vs. Sidebottom

Who will be the better player in the future?

• Beams

Votes: 28 70.0%
  • Sidebottom

Votes: 12 30.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Number 10

Premiership Player
Apr 10, 2010
AFL Club
Collingwood
On occasions around the forum I have small debates over who is and will be a better player in the future.

They are obviously both great players in their own right and (bare this in mind with my post) I beleive will both win multiple AA's and be 200+ game players.

In my opinion, Beams is and will always be the better player.

The reason I give that he is the better player is simple: he came 6th in the BnF this year and I like his kick more than Sidebottom's, other than that, not much splits them.

The reason I give that he will always be the better player is not as simple, but I'll give it a crack: I see Beams as our next Swan and not only this, but better than him too. I compare him to Swan because of his ability to find the ball in tight situations and always be in the right position for a player to dish off to.

We haven't seen much of Beams (or Sidebottom) in the middle as we would have liked, but during the minutes he is in the middle, he thrives. Beams already has one of the best kicks in our midfield rotation and (is?) the best kick into forward 50 in the league, shown by the retention rate of his kicks last season.

Beams is strong, tattoo covered and tought like Swan, yet I think with his tank, kicking and marking ability still improving, he will be better than Swan one day.

Having said this though, by the end of their careers, Sidebottom will have more accolades. Purely because he is very similar to Pendlebury and people love to watch these kinds of players. Although Sidebottom has more class, finds more time with the ball, better vision and is an expert at reading the play at this young age, I can see Beams as our number one midfielder.

Don't get me wrong, I love them both, but I like Beams' more penetrating and longer kicks than Sidebottom's creative kicks. I like Beams' toughness and inside game better than Sidebottom's. And I think BEams will always find more of the pill than Sidebottom.

Either way, this will be a good poll to look back on and I'm excited that we are holding two of the best young mids in the game.

Your thoughts?

Damn, forgot to edit the poll so you can have multiple choices. Can mods help me please?

I think steele is and will stay better, My reasons are that Steele can make players around him better but picking the Right option most of the Time. The kicks he gives can be spot on to there players and can find an open man.
Is an Excellent Cumber when he plays up Forward.

Don't get me Wrong Beams is a beauty too but some off his Off-Field Behavior is a Bit of a Worry. Like I think it was last season when he was suspended being out too late

Interesting you mention his off-field behaviour. Certainly has taken the shine off Beams' reputation and achievements thus far.

The BoS (Bottom of Steele). His performances in the really big games (e.g. the semi against Adelaide in 09 and the GF replay last year) have been absolutely outstanding - particularly for a player so young. Kicks goals, superb stamina a very smart footballer and will only get better.

Quite a few clubs will be kicking themselves that they let him slide through to us at, what was it, pick 10?

The fact that we got both was pure genius by Hine, particularly as it was rumoured/speculated there were only 3 names on his list for pick 11 (Sidebottom/Beams/Swift- thank god he didn't listen to me and pick Swift). To back himself to get Beams at his next pick is really the stuff that can enhance a list immediately above expectations.

I have no doubts about Beams being a star of the future- this will happen.

However, Rusty is just something a little more "special".

The BoS (Bottom of Steele). His performances in the really big games (e.g. the semi against Adelaide in 09 and the GF replay last year) have been absolutely outstanding - particularly for a player so young. Kicks goals, superb stamina a very smart footballer and will only get better.

Quite a few clubs will be kicking themselves that they let him slide through to us at, what was it, pick 10?

It was Pick 11 but the 2008 Draft was Super Strong one

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What options do you want?

Just so people can choose one of Beams (is) or Sidebottom (is) AND one of Beams (will be) or Sidebottom (will be).

Or just make them all choosable if it make it easier, then peole can choose one each.

Thanks

Beams is.....

BUT, I really can't see there's any true indication of who will be the better player long term.

One thing I'll say about Beams, we may not have won the NAB Cup final by the margin we did if it wasn't for him.

When he came on as a sub, he changed the match, in fact I'd be shocked if he didn't have more possessions during his "game time" then anyone else.

Yet Steele should/could have won the Norm Smith Medal. Would that change everyones' thinking of him then?

Beams is the better, more conistent player at the moment, but Steele has a heap of upside in him, and is that intelligent in regards to his game that the sky is the limit.

Either way, we have 2 superstars in the making, don't be shocked if they are as good as Pendles and Thomas are now in a few seasons.:thumbsu:

Beams was better for most of last year. I think how good he was gets forgotten because he had a relatively quiet finals series and Steele exploded during them, but Beams was consistently in our bests during the H&A, hell 4 of our 6 goals in round 9 were from Beams, he was gunning it in the middle of the year.

As for which one will be the better player, Steele has more potential I think, he uses the ball so well, if he could get more of it he'd be one of our best no doubt. It remains to be seen if he can do that once he gets stronger, he's still being pushed around a bit, it's pretty obvious when you see him go for a contested mark, he struggles to outbody the opponent. Beams is a year older I believe so he's already got the frame to play in the middle.

But yearh right now Beams has the runs on the board, he'd be a bigger loss than Steele to the team if he got taken out.

Sidebottom (will be)

I say that because I think Beams is a better player right now but I can see Sidebottom being a star of the competition. In saying that I can also see Beams being a hugely important player for us too. It's tough, but it also doesn't really matter, we have them both playing and they both have bright futures.

Sidebottom (will be)

I say that because I think Beams is a better player right now but I can see Sidebottom being a star of the competition. In saying that I can also see Beams being a hugely important player for us too. It's tough, but it also doesn't really matter, we have them both playing and they both have bright futures.

Great thread Number 10.

Well I'm in the Sidebottom camp, esp the 'will be' bit; currently not much to choose between them, but lean here to Sidey aswell.

We were so lucky to get them both...esp only having 11 and 29 ffs.

Thank you Derek et al.

Sidebottom is just pwning right now. But as I said, will be a good poll to visit in the future and see how our gems are tracking.

I think Sidebottom is better player at the moment, but there is alot more upside with Beams. Beams has alot of class that will hold him in good stead.

Beams. Cops a bum wrap for an average finals series, but once he gets the chance to play as a permanent midfielder his stocks will go through the roof.

Back