Club History Before the Crows, there was the Redlegs

Remove this Banner Ad

Lol I just forgot another interesting thing Boulton mentioned on Tuesday night: Port was approached by more than one club to put in a joint/amalgamated bid for the second licence, but on the condition that the AFL entity not be called Port Adelaide, based at Alberton or have black and white as club colours. Obviously they were told where to go :p

Fitzroy and Norf were linked back in the day, as early as '92.

Port Adelaide Lions in black and white and gold.

Richmond rivalry ramped up to apocalyptic levels...

Billy Barrott was an odd cat by all accounts.

Biggest claim to fame at Torrens was probably rocking up to training in a tux - with footy boots - coz he had some swoiree on that night.

So, of course, the players dumped him in a muddy shitpile at Thebby...

West Torrens circa 1975:

On the Sunday Footy Show the day after that game, the host Max Hall who was a retired umpire tore up the rule book for the camera, because they couldn't get the count done. But it was mayhem, there were players hiding in the cheer squad (it was big enough to do it then :D), running down the race, jumping the fence.

Funny to see coach Noel Teasdale puffing away on the cancer stick. Don't see that any more. :D

Lol I just forgot another interesting thing Boulton mentioned on Tuesday night: Port was approached by more than one club to put in a joint/amalgamated bid for the second licence, but on the condition that the AFL entity not be called Port Adelaide, based at Alberton or have black and white as club colours. Obviously they were told where to go :p

hmmm, how does that happen when all the other clubs were committed to their own bid consortia for most of the tender period?

1993-1994, I think only WWT could have been so delusional (because of their short lived adequacy) so 'geographically hopeful' and so lacking in any black or white colours themselves. it would be interesting to know which of the trough dwellers had the chutzpah to come sniffing to our door, presumably it had to be post-Bruce at the earliest. one thing sorely lacking in the history of all this is the voice of the SANFL club losers themselves. the faceless sniveling little men who thought they'd won just because Port lost, thought they'd won even as the Crows sucked their husks dry. delusional recollections from their unprofessional past would provide a useful addition to the historical landscape.

On the Sunday Footy Show the day after that game, the host Max Hall who was a retired umpire tore up the rule book for the camera, because they couldn't get the count done. But it was mayhem, there were players hiding in the cheer squad (it was big enough to do it then :D), running down the race, jumping the fence.

Funny to see coach Noel Teasdale puffing away on the cancer stick. Don't see that any more. :D

I wonder who was the last SANFL player recorded smoking during a break in the game? Grenville Dietrich used to get away with it...

hmmm, how does that happen when all the other clubs were committed to their own bid consortia for most of the tender period?

1993-1994, I think only WWT could have been so delusional (because of their short lived adequacy) so 'geographically hopeful' and so lacking in any black or white colours themselves. it would be interesting to know which of the trough dwellers had the chutzpah to come sniffing to our door, presumably it had to be post-Bruce at the earliest. one thing sorely lacking in the history of all this is the voice of the SANFL club losers themselves. the faceless sniveling little men who thought they'd won just because Port lost, thought they'd won even as the Crows sucked their husks dry. delusional recollections from their unprofessional past would provide a useful addition to the historical landscape.
"the faceless sniveling little men who thought they'd won just because Port lost, thought they'd won even as the Crows sucked their husks dry."
Love that sentence!

Last edited:

Port Adelaide Lions in black and white and gold.

Richmond rivalry ramped up to apocalyptic levels...

Try explaining to Numpty from Norwood that a Port Lions, or just a transplanted "Adelaide Lions", playing from a minimally modified Adelaide oval would have drawn capacity crowds. The dissonance it generates in their heads is just...
200w_d.gif

Actually, I do remember a crazy, half-arsed Port-Centrals rumour doing the rounds at one point.

IIRC, Port were to be based at Lizbeff under the proposal.

TBH, being a Northerner, I didn't mind the pie-in-the-sky prospect of having my AFL team on my front doorstep, lol...

#5112Ports

Re the Noarlunga situation, there were big plans in the early to mid 80's to turn the footy ground and surrounds into a sporting complex, including a greyhound track, trotting track, tennis courts, etc, etc.

I know this because I was one of about 10 people involved in the two racing industries, who were invited to have discussions with a state government representative, that were held at a private residence in Morphett Vale, one sunday morning in 1983.

The bloke was your typical government numpty, but he had architect's drawings of what was supposed to happen, and they looked quite impressive.

The meeting went for about 2 hours and those in attendance were given the impression it would definitely happen, but obviously nothing eventuated, and the plans were shelved.

Actually, if Souse had any foresight, they would have set up shop in Morphett Vale in the early 70's. Massive growth region. Morphett Vale is the biggest suburb in Adelaide I believe. Reynella, Hackham, Christies etc... massive bogan growth region in that era.

Actually, if Souse had any foresight, they would have set up shop in Morphett Vale in the early 70's. Massive growth region. Morphett Vale is the biggest suburb in Adelaide I believe. Reynella, Hackham, Christies etc... massive bogan growth region in that era.

the Reynella Fellas has a certain ring to it. The Hackam Downs would have been accurate. As for the Christies B.. ok i'll just stop there.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sounds like a North Adelaide type logic. Didn't they also propose merging with PA in 2012 as an alternative to Southern Power. Were apparently full of piss and wind at a members night at that time about how they weee going to 'take over' the second licence.

Yeah, I read somewhere awhile ago that there was a radical plan to develop a base out of Noarlunga and base a relocated Fitzroy out there.

Back when there was a weird geographical obsession with SA's future AFL teams.

Even later, when we won the licence in 1995, Rucci was writing about things like "the eastern and southern suburbs have been left in the cold" and "Adelaide now must move to Norwood".

Just bizarre.

Rucci was writing about things like "the eastern and southern suburbs have been left in the cold" and "Adelaide now must move to Norwood".

KG ran that line pretty hard for a few years. Cornsey would shoot him down. But he'd just blather on. Reckon it was around those bleak Crow winters of '94-95-96. After that first flag, it was never to be spoken of again...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back