Winter Beijing 2022 4th Feb to 22nd preview and general discussion thread

Remove this Banner Ad

That was absolute gut wrenching. Just so tough to watch. She looked so sad. Crushed. Miles off the girl we saw a week ago in the team event.

But I’m glad she got 4th, so Anna can get her gold and the others get their moment. Shcherbakova!! She’s done it!! What a glorious athlete.

People have to remember in the end she’s human and she’s 15. Hope for her sake whatever happens is sorted out quickly so everyone can get on with it.

Everything just got to her she’s only 15 she’ll be back the next Olympics
she might not be.

The life of a female figure skater is fleeting. Russia is shocking in terms of this. You either win or get injured in the process of winning. And when that happens, the next 15-year-old will take your place. It is a sad fact of life and something needs to change. The poor girl is only 15. There should be a minimum age for all athletes at the Olympic Games.

The winner of 2018 gold medal, Russian Alina Zagitova is still only 19 and she can't get back to the ice due to injury. The winner of the 2014 Gold medal, Adelina Sotnikova, didn't make it to 2018. She is only 25.

good article on it

They broke her.
A rare talent and now what?

Wouldn't surprise me if they told her to throw it for her team mate.
It's a sad situation. Poor girl.

In the end, too much pressure and attention on her.

US media were critical towards the banned being lifted, allowing her to compete.

Really feel sorry for her she is still a kid that goes to school, hope she is ok and returns in 2026. She did break like 9 world records so at 19 still be the best in the world.
It was sad to watch her final performance, hopefully she gets some support and is ok.

USA commentators refused to commentate during her performance, I thought that was harsh. She's only 15, and very unlikely knew what she took

It was sad to watch her final performance, hopefully she gets some support and is ok.

USA commentators refused to commentate during her performance, I thought that was harsh. She's only 15, and very unlikely knew what she took
Possibly, but this is the way Russia does things and always has and always will.
in at all costs no matter how much harm it does to the athlete now and in the future

The lack of air these girls on the ski half pipe is disappointing. Australia should've targeted this event, given the lack of quality. Australia also needs to focus on recruiting incline skaters from the Gold coast and turn them into ice skaters. While you're at it, you can turn the kookaburra and rugby rejects into a powerhouse ice hockey team.

Ice hockey>>>>> field hockey

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They broke her.
A rare talent and now what?

Wouldn't surprise me if they told her to throw it for her team mate.
Don't be surprised if she ends up doing what a lot of the medal winning skaters do, and become a big part of the Disney on Ice shows that tour North America and Europe and occasionally make it to Oz.

She is just too good not to keep getting better, if treated properly by all involved. It will take some courage to fight thru this, but there will be opportunities for a professional career.

My niece is her age actually only 9 days apart and it's insane someone so young has to deal with. I wish I could give her a cuddle. Hopefully she can go qbcknto school live a normal life for a few years and skate later.

I've been watching Deutsche Weller or DW News around time the Olympics finish on ABC news and watching their Sports twitter account. These are some of their tweets including a few from the great Katarina Witt who won the singles in 1984 and 1988 for east Germany.

IOC president Thomas Bach says it was "chilling" to see the "tremendous coldness" between Russian skater Kamila Valieva and her entourage after Thursday's free skate at the Beijing 2022 Winter Olympics.

The 15-year-old Valieva finished fourth in the women's figure skating competition after an error-strewn performance at the Beijing Capital Stadium.

She had placed first after the short program on Tuesday despite stumbling uncharacteristically during a triple axel and leaving the ice in tears.

As she again exited the ice with tears streaming down her face, controversial coach Eteri Tutberidze asked her: "Why did you stop fighting?"

"When I afterwards saw how she was received by her closest entourage with what appeared to be a tremendous coldness, it was chilling to see this, rather than giving her comfort, rather than to try to help her," Bach said.

"All of this does not give me much confidence in this closest entourage of Kamila, neither with regard to what happened in the past, nor as far as it concerns the future.
"How to deal, how to address, how to treat a minor athlete at the age of 15 under such an obvious mental stress.

"I am very concerned."

I've been watching Deutsche Weller or DW News around time the Olympics finish on ABC news and watching their Sports twitter account. These are some of their tweets including a few from the great Katarina Witt who won the singles in 1984 and 1988 for east Germany.

IOC president Thomas Bach says it was "chilling" to see the "tremendous coldness" between Russian skater Kamila Valieva and her entourage after Thursday's free skate at the Beijing 2022 Winter Olympics.

The 15-year-old Valieva finished fourth in the women's figure skating competition after an error-strewn performance at the Beijing Capital Stadium.

She had placed first after the short program on Tuesday despite stumbling uncharacteristically during a triple axel and leaving the ice in tears.

As she again exited the ice with tears streaming down her face, controversial coach Eteri Tutberidze asked her: "Why did you stop fighting?"

"When I afterwards saw how she was received by her closest entourage with what appeared to be a tremendous coldness, it was chilling to see this, rather than giving her comfort, rather than to try to help her," Bach said.

"How to deal, how to address, how to treat a minor athlete at the age of 15 under such an obvious mental stress.

"I am very concerned."

Time for a good and proper ban of Russia

7,000 nuclear weapons and about 1,650 deployed ie push a button and off they go, probably means that will never happen.

This time, they need to ban the coach. Alas, it won't happen. some actual responsibility should be lifted from these girls and onto the authorities in charge of the sport.

Tutberidze has come to be regarded as the world’s leading expert in creating figure skating champions. Her methods are no secret. The Eteri girls talk openly about not being able to drink water during competitions. They do their best to delay puberty by eating only “powdered nutrients” or by taking Lupron, a puberty blocker known to induce menopause. They are subjected to daily public weigh-ins and verbal and physical abuse. And they compete while injured, huffing “smelling salts” while wearing knee braces and collapsing in pain after programs.

just sickens me

Remove this Banner Ad

Back