Winter Beijing 2022 4th Feb to 22nd preview and general discussion thread

Remove this Banner Ad

So I am watching this curling. Can somebody please explain to me the Aussie chick’s purpose? The dude is doing all of the work. She throws a token stone occasionally but seems content to stand around whilst the poor bastard does everything else.

She likes to yell instructions though, like a council worker pointing to the hole where others are doing the digging.

I dont think she has the strength to do it and not affect her throwing of the stone. Strategy seems to be her thing.

I read something a couple of weeks ago saying that Dean does nearly all the sweeping, but cant remember what it said about why.

Taylah O'Neill did an ACL a month ago, got to the line, but knew she couldnt have a proper run so just skied down the side. Was emotional when she took the goggles off.
I found that to be an attention- grabbing unnecessary moment.
The big hug at the top...and then doesn't even try.
Just found it embarrassing tbh. Maybe took a spot from someone else too.

Last edited:
I found that to be an attention grabbing unnecessary moment. The big hug at the top...and them doesn't even try. Just found it embarrassing tbh. Maybe took a spot from someone else too.
Thanks. I wondered what was going on there. I watched it on the app without audio and wondered why she was doing it. I don't know why she would have even bothered unless it was a "I competed at the Olympics" bucket list ticking box moment.

No oily Tongan flag bearer tonight at the opening ceremony. Pita Taufatofua wasn't able to travel around and qualify for cross country due to covid.

But in sporting good guy true spirit he is raising money for the Tongan people after volcano eruption / tsunami disaster on a gofundme page. has raised $800k and is aiming for $1million.

Even the NY Times did a story on him yesterday about not being able to go and his work trying to help his country out post eruption/tsunami/

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Didn't realize people have been invited to watch The Games. stadium looks about 2/3rds full.

Spectators invited to Winter Games​

Meanwhile, about 150,000 spectators are expected to be invited to attend events at the Beijing 2022 Winter Olympics in two of the three clusters of venues, organisers have said.

Plans to sell tickets to international visitors were scrapped last year because of the COVID-19 pandemic and that was extended to residents of China in January.

Venues in Beijing and Zhangjiakou are now set to have invited spectators, but Alpine skiing and sliding sports in Yanqing will go ahead without fans.

Invited spectators will be drawn from “international friends residing in China’s mainland, members of diplomatic missions and marketing partners,” organisers said in a presentation to the IOC.

Some fantastic effects in the ceremony. Loved the lead in to the Olympic rings reveal!

And I still love the look of that stadium!

Australia are 3rd last.

1. Greece
  2. Turkey
  3. Malta
  4. Madagascar
  5. Malaysia
  6. Ecuador
  7. Eritrea
  8. Jamaica
  9. Belgium
  10. Japan
  11. Chinese Taipei