Bendigo FL discussion 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

How much would that help…honestly?

Better than doing nothing. It will take a few years like stopping clubs having advantages in the junior spaces but if you act on it eventually it will help equalise. Nothing has been done to maintain equality and that’s why the comp is now dog sh$&

Like If we just stood back and accepted that violence against women was going to happen and changes were too hard to make an impact. We have to keep challenging the wrongs but you need courage to do so

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Better than doing nothing. It will take a few years like stopping clubs having advantages in the junior spaces but if you act on it eventually it will help equalise. Nothing has been done to maintain equality and that’s why the comp is now dog sh$&

Like If we just stood back and accepted that violence against women was going to happen and changes were too hard to make an impact. We have to keep challenging the wrongs but you need courage to do so

Don’t disagree that something needs to be done but are the levers that can be pulled (points and salary caps) the right ones

Last edited:
Don’t disagree that something needs to be done but are the levers that can be pulled (points and salary caps) the right ones
Points appear to be irrelevant in Maryboroughs case as if you read into Gurus post they seem perhaps to not be in a great financial position anyway, they could have 60 points and wouldnt have the money to improve off that. Any chance of a Maryborough/Castlemaine merge? With the population makeup of both towns(Maryborough almost appears to be an attractive retirement town/Castlemaine with a trend to the arts) it would appear that neither is in a financial position to continue to go alone for much longer. As far as Maggys hobby horse goes instead of whinging about the ability of the Bendigo based teams to poach your youth, do something to make your team more attractive to the youth.

Points appear to be irrelevant in Maryboroughs case as if you read into Gurus post they seem perhaps to not be in a great financial position anyway, they could have 60 points and wouldnt have the money to improve off that. Any chance of a Maryborough/Castlemaine merge? With the population makeup of both towns(Maryborough almost appears to be an attractive retirement town/Castlemaine with a trend to the arts) it would appear that neither is in a financial position to continue to go alone for much longer. As far as Maggys hobby horse goes instead of whinging about the ability of the Bendigo based teams to poach your youth, do something to make your team more attractive to the youth.
Could Maryborough and Castlemaine merge?

Interesting thought.

Points appear to be irrelevant in Maryboroughs case

They would be relevant if the system worked.

I posted in last year’s thread how points would look if AFL Victoria had a common sense system where team points automatically adjusted each year depending on ladder position. With that model since the start of the points system Gisborne would be about 34.

The team that beat Maryborough had 35 but the devil is in the detail.

Blake playing as a 1 pointer. Let’s say there were no discounts and you cop an extra point for moving clubs in the same league, and another point if they are a higher points team. Now he costs 6, and the other two boys from Castlemaine cost 4 more. Already they are on 44.

Take away all the other discounts and they are not recruiting blokes from Castlemaine because there is no way they can play them. They have to play some local kids instead. Maryborough still lose and by plenty but it’s not the bloodbath it was and will continue to be.

The biggest joke is the loyalty discounts after one year (loyalty, my arse).

There should be no discounts for loyalty until a player is into his fourth season at a club, then you wouldn't have clubs gaining up to six points each year for recruits returning after one year.

That would then make it the equalisation measure that AFLV was probably hoping for initially (they only problem was the poor initial execution of the system).

I’d be merging 4 or 5 clubs in the Maryborough area and having them play in Bendigo league
I know it doest matter big picture wise but how many of the 'star' players from the 'lower league' clubs in that area would hang around to play in the Bendigo league??
Many would be out there for the $$ or coz they don't have the time to commit to playing 'major league' footy.
The merger gives you, hopefully, more players but what would the quality look like??

I know it doest matter big picture wise but how many of the 'star' players from the 'lower league' clubs in that area would hang around to play in the Bendigo league??
Many would be out there for the $$ or coz they don't have the time to commit to playing 'major league' footy.
The merger gives you, hopefully, more players but what would the quality look like??

Maybe not immediately but it will help in the long run as there will be less options for the quality blokes ro head off to

You should get the highest points going from a bottom club to a top club in the same league, should be 4 plus every ladder position up the team they are going to is above the team they've left

You’d think that would be a no brainer for the points system, given its sims.

Crazy would point to the fact it isn’t there as strong clubs having influence over AFL Vic and it’s hard to find an alternative argument.

You’d think that would be a no brainer for the points system, given its sims.

Crazy would point to the fact it isn’t there as strong clubs having influence over AFL Vic and it’s hard to find an alternative argument.

Crazy not so crazy when it comes to this topic

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Maine picks up Joey Montagna in the Carlton Draught, will play round 13 v Eaglehawk.

Drew the last pick and not really going to get much out of it apart from a marketing exercise you’d think.

He will bring up some mates and have a great day you’d think. I’d say it’s all positive

Anyone got any information about a possible meeting between Gisborne and Ballarat League officials last night.

Apprently with Kyneton no longer apart of the league and losing there #1 Gate taking for the year by more than double they see no future in the BFL. They no longer have a rivalary, the other two country clubs at 1000/1 to both be around by seasons end.

Could we see a 6 team comp in 2025?

Maine picks up Joey Montagna in the Carlton Draught, will play round 13 v Eaglehawk.

Drew the last pick and not really going to get much out of it apart from a marketing exercise you’d think.
Forest do you have much info on why Cmaine went down this path

I thought the Carlton Draught comp was designed for the bottom of the barrel minor league clubs - not clubs in “major league” Montagna will lucky to be in your best 18 and is just going to take a kids spot.
Wouldn’t bring more that 50-100 extra people along in my honest opinion

I thought the Carlton Draught comp was designed for the bottom of the barrel minor league clubs - not clubs in “major league” Montagna will lucky to be in your best 18 and is just going to take a kids spot.
They'll get 2k extra, browny will be there, with a fair few fox guys as well

Anyone got any information about a possible meeting between Gisborne and Ballarat League officials last night.

Apprently with Kyneton no longer apart of the league and losing there #1 Gate taking for the year by more than double they see no future in the BFL. They no longer have a rivalary, the other two country clubs at 1000/1 to both be around by seasons end.

IF Gisborne are looking around and want to leave they must have intentions in by June 30. If Gisborne was to leave the Bendigo FNL, the plan floated for a tiered competition would start to look attractive.

Gisborne are leaving, it’s just a matter of which year.

They, along with Castlemaine have suffered a 15-20k plus hole in the budget with Kyneton leaving. They aren’t going to fill that any way but with local rivals in the Ballarat comp because they can host a top of the ladder blockbuster later in the year and be lucky to see a hundred Sandhurst people there.

Purely for the financials I’d say, as per the above. Apparently you get a lot more than the player, a fair whack of free product to sell, cuts on merchandise and raffles etc.
I think they will pull a decent crowd out of it but I’d be moving the game to the Sunday to draw in the outer leagues.
Under the FPS (Forest Points System), how many would Montagna be 😜

I have wondered that myself, those guys would be 6 so what happens if you can’t fit them in? Maybe Carlton has a deal to skip the points for the day with AFL VIC although we would all be shocked to see the integrity of the game compromised like that.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back