Bendigo FL discussion 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

When did Maryborough win their last flag 98 or 2000? Gee they were a powerful side, I'm sure it was predominantly locals with a couple of imports. Plus I'm sure the best young talent from those clubs came in, like prickles Martin, Jamie Elliott etc. Maryborough can't keep guys 20 to 27 now, that's rhe age bracket to build a premiership from, same with maine. Crameri and bond play in Ballarat, richards Eaglehawk, locals who make the afl don't generally come back and play.

Why do kids go back and play for clubs like rochy, kerang, maffra Leongatha, but then we have clubs like Maryborough and cadtlemaine where there's not that pull. I don't know what the answer is, I'm not sure the afl care anymore as the next big nick, barass, adcock or dusty will end up at a private school if they are talented enough and get drafted anyway

When did Maryborough win their last flag 98 or 2000? Gee they were a powerful side, I'm sure it was predominantly locals with a couple of imports. Plus I'm sure the best young talent from those clubs came in, like prickles Martin, Jamie Elliott etc. Maryborough can't keep guys 20 to 27 now, that's rhe age bracket to build a premiership from, same with maine. Crameri and bond play in Ballarat, richards Eaglehawk, locals who make the afl don't generally come back and play.

Why do kids go back and play for clubs like rochy, kerang, maffra Leongatha, but then we have clubs like Maryborough and cadtlemaine where there's not that pull. I don't know what the answer is, I'm not sure the afl care anymore as the next big nick, barass, adcock or dusty will end up at a private school if they are talented enough and get drafted anyway
I was talking with my uncle today who played back in the early 2000s in a praccy match against Maryborough, they smashed Sunbury. He spoke very highlh of Maryborough and can't believe what's happened to them, but not surprised either. Old town, youngins leaving due to lack of job and that contributes to struggling clubs.

On SM-G970F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Around that time Castlemaine, Kyneton, Kangaroo Flat & South Bendigo also had strong teams. To highlight how much as changed since then I have listed below the number of senior premierships won over the last 20 completed seasons:

Golden Square 6
Gisborne 5
Strathfieldsaye 4
Eaglehawk 3
Sandhurst 2

Castlemaine 0
Maryborough 0
Kangaroo Flat 0
South Bendigo 0
Kyneton 0

The top five look almost certain to play off in this year's finals.

In summary Golden Square, Gisborne and Strathfieldsaye have been the consistent powerhouse clubs. Eaglehawk and Sandhurst have had some success. The remaining clubs have really struggled and now have their viability under question. There lies the core of the problem with the present BFNL set up. We have all endlessly thrashed out the reasons and our own solutions but surely the administrators and local media have to accept changes are needed and actually push hard for them.

So you don’t want to kick a club while they are down, yet you lay both boots in, with force.

I’m keen to hear your thoughts on how you claim the Giants flourish. They’ve been around for 5 minutes, off the back of 2 clubs joining together who unfortunately clearly weren’t flourishing. And they’ve employed one of the biggest mercenaries in local footy in recent memory as coach. Now before you start typing your next rant, I applaud them for having the courage to read the room, join forces and have a crack through a merger - but you can’t seriously claim they’ve flourished?
Have you seen the crowds at their games ?
Probably not
Anyway, obviously you didn’t read the post clearly

Have you seen the crowds at their games ?
Probably not
Anyway, obviously you didn’t read the post clearly
I read the post very clearly. You laid the boots in.
I stand by what I said, you can’t claim they are flourishing. No, I haven’t seen their crowds. I have seen their results though.

I stand by what I said, you can’t claim they are flourishing. No, I haven’t seen their crowds. I have seen their results though.

Yeah, the Bendigo comp might be sick but flawed thinking to compare to Maryborough Castlemaine comp.

Bendigo comp has a runny nose compared to the MC comp being in palliative care.

I read the post very clearly. You laid the boots in.
They will probably be alive longer than Maryborough if the type of responses you put up are indicative of the club continuing to look at everything but itself

They will probably be alive longer than Maryborough if the type of responses you put up are indicative of the club continuing to look at everything but itself
Can you please give me some examples I’ve put up of the club blaming anything but itself please?

Can you please give me some examples I’ve put up of the club blaming anything but itself

Can you please give me some examples I’ve put up of the club blaming anything but itself please?
Huh?

You came in to have a shot at my post wanting to put up irrelevant garbage instead of actually taking on board what was said
So yeah, all of your responses are indicative of why Maryborough is in such dire straights
A club so busy blaming others ( too many clubs, clubs paying overrated players etc etc) that it refuses to acknowledge that it has no community support, no crowds, no buy in, doesn’t recruit ( 4 extremely talented local players from a couple of different clubs choosing Ballarat league teams over Maryborough during the summer says it all) and can’t keep players because it simply doesn’t work hard enough on its own culture
And sorry, if you cannot acknowledge that then yes, you are an example of the very reason the club is in such a horrible and heartbreaking situation
So instead of the superiority complex the club has and it seems those with their heads in the sand, maybe they should learn a bit from the district clubs who are doing well
s**t, Avoca for example maybe are not winning games on field but their supporter base and town buy in are an example to Maryborough
Same with Carisbrook
Natte
Dunolly
Talbot
Jeez even though Cambells Creek aren’t a great performing side their plethora of helpers that saved the club put Maryborough to shame
Put it plainly, it’s own superior attitude has caused its demise
Nothing to do with money or too many clubs or any of that crap
It’s all on the club
And that’s tragic for the town and the many many people who once cared but not valued

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Huh?

You came in to have a shot at my post wanting to put up irrelevant garbage instead of actually taking on board what was said
So yeah, all of your responses are indicative of why Maryborough is in such dire straights
A club so busy blaming others ( too many clubs, clubs paying overrated players etc etc) that it refuses to acknowledge that it has no community support, no crowds, no buy in, doesn’t recruit ( 4 extremely talented local players from a couple of different clubs choosing Ballarat league teams over Maryborough during the summer says it all) and can’t keep players because it simply doesn’t work hard enough on its own culture
And sorry, if you cannot acknowledge that then yes, you are an example of the very reason the club is in such a horrible and heartbreaking situation
So instead of the superiority complex the club has and it seems those with their heads in the sand, maybe they should learn a bit from the district clubs who are doing well
s**t, Avoca for example maybe are not winning games on field but their supporter base and town buy in are an example to Maryborough
Same with Carisbrook
Natte
Dunolly
Talbot
Jeez even though Cambells Creek aren’t a great performing side their plethora of helpers that saved the club put Maryborough to shame
Put it plainly, it’s own superior attitude has caused its demise
Nothing to do with money or too many clubs or any of that crap
It’s all on the club
And that’s tragic for the town and the many many people who once cared but not valued
Haha, you’ve lost it. I think you need a cup of tea, a Panadol or two, and a good lie down.

A suggestion for you - next time you want to kick a club while they are down, don’t start your post with telling us you don’t like to kick clubs when they are down.

Haha, you’ve lost it. I think you need a cup of tea, a Panadol or two, and a good lie down.

A suggestion for you - next time you want to kick a club while they are down, don’t start your post with telling us you don’t like to kick clubs when they are down.
And that is the reply I expected
Which is typical
Can’t tell me I’m incorrect

In a nutshell, former league pres says restructure urgently required. Says an offer, inducement to Rochester made immediately, maiden gully part of solution, Gisborne pres quoted saying them leaving is “furphy”, Kyneton pres also quoted saying they would go under if stayed any longer. Left because there was no clear direction on what future looked like, current league chair didn’t respond to call for right of reply comment.

In a nutshell, former league pres says restructure urgently required. Says an offer, inducement to Rochester made immediately, maiden gully part of solution, Gisborne pres quoted saying them leaving is “furphy”, Kyneton pres also quoted saying they would go under if stayed any longer. Left because there was no clear direction on what future looked like, current league chair didn’t respond to call for right of reply comment.

Just had a read, with all due respect to Jock not sure he really gets it.

Interesting comments from the Gisborne President, I’m still absolutely certain they are going.

And that is the reply I expected
Which is typical
Can’t tell me I’m incorrec

Just had a read, with all due respect to Jock not sure he really gets it.

Interesting comments from the Gisborne President, I’m still absolutely certain they are going.
Jock’s a very passionate Bendigo man, though I don’t think his suggestion of an offer to Rochester would be met with much enthusiasm. More chance of Maryborough, Castlemaine (sorry Forest 😜) and Flat finishing top 3 this year than that happening.

I’m sorry

Rarely do I post but having read this I must
I’m not trying to kick a club when it’s down but some of what you have written here is just plain wrong
Maryborough footy club, quite simply, does not have the support of the local community or businesses
You need to be honest and ask some tough questions why this is the case
As for the old chestnut of too many local clubs, again that’s just garbage
Carisbrook, Dunolly , Natte, Talbot and now the Giants are local clubs who have a hundred years of support
And they flourish
Why?
Because they work hard, they make people feel welcome, they are inclusive and they attract families and people because they do these things
They nurture their juniors, they keep their local families and they care for their people
Saying they pay massive coin for overrated players is just downright rude and also incorrect
Are these so called overrated players only so because they don’t play at your club?
These are the reasons Maryborough are where they are, not any of the excuses you have regurgitated
Even the fact of the devastating defeat on the weekend was pushed to the third back page of the local paper hidden in the corner
Why?
Ask your club that
I hope you survive, but with the wow is me attitude you have I doubt you will
Instead of rubbishing the local clubs maybe learn from them
They got to where they are through hard work and passion
Carisbrook
Natte
Avoca
Talbot
Dunolly
Giants

These are the clubs you should be learning from not blaming for your plight
I wasn't going to respond to your post Glacier but I certainly would be interested in hearing your thoughts privately on where you think things have gone wrong for the club. Feedback is helpful in setting further direction for the club and determining its future.

I will clearly state again the club has excellent community support and is very financially sound. Yes the club has been the easybeat for a while but that support has not wavered. I wonder if you have been to the club recently or in a position to make these comments if you are not involved. If this is an observation please send me a message and I am happy to discuss.

Your comments about local clubs flourishing is well off the mark. Avoca, Talbot and Dunolly are all struggling as seen with regular large losses and no hope in making finals in the immediate future. It was only a few years ago where Dunolly was on its knees and seemed likely to go under. It was only due to a generous benefactor that kept the club afloat and was able to pay for the recruitment of players from Bendigo.

Carisbrook is an exception as it is a well run club and very financial. They have continually been in a position to recruit high quality players from Ballarat and they need to do this as there is little local population to obtain players from.

Each of these clubs struggle for juniors with Avoca probably in the best position of all. Natte doesn't have a strong juniors and runs a bus from Maryborough to get players to play. They have been fortunate with a number of large families like Mortlock's and Ross's who seem to provide a good supply of children to play for the club. Natte have been well run for many years but the majority of their players are from Ballarat and Bendigo and not locals. Days like Dane Swan last weekend and selling crops provide the funds for them to recruit and operate.

The new entity in the Giants was formed as a result of both Rovers and Royal Park being non competitive, having minimal player stocks, reducing numbers of volunteers and realistically no hope of playing finals in the immediate future. Good on both clubs for being proactive and getting together in the hope of improving football in Maryborough, providing sport for the community and hopefully seeing some success. The appointment of their coach wasn't a good start for the club and did some reputational damage locally in the football community.

Player numbers in the area remain at very low levels and clubs continue to pay over the odds to recruit guys that are often not worth that value. The reason clubs do it, they need the players and they have some hope of getting some success. It is not sustainable in its current form as clubs are also acting like 'pariahs' competing for the same pool of talent.

The Maryborough Football Netball Club is a proud club and we are always happy to take on board feedback and input from interested parties. I am a big believer that everyone has something to contribute to make things better and I am happy to discuss your thoughts privately. I will state that the club and myself are not going to have inaccurate 'potshots' aimed at the club that are untrue, inaccurate and outright lies. We do have a lot of work to do ahead of us but the club is committed and working hard so that we can eventually be a 'club of choice' for both locals and potential recruits in the future.

I look forward to your message although I don't think there will be anything in my inbox anytime soon.

Cheers.

Last edited:
Anyone able to reproduce it (legally)? It requires a login. Or give us the gist of the article. I guess the question would be ... is there anything in the article that people don't already know?
Here's the full article

The Bendigo league has been rocked by a disastrous opening month of the season that followed major turmoil off-field over summer.
Maryborough’s back-to-back thrashings in seniors and successive forfeits at reserves level have sparked fears it could be the next team to follow Kyneton’s lead and leave.
The region’s major league suffered a major exodus of top-line talent in the off-season and it's A grade netball competition has only eight teams with Maryborough not playing this year.
It’s still in the market for a general manager following Cameron Tomlins’ promotion to AFL Central Victoria regional manager on the eve of the season.
And it also failed to get support from the now defunct AFLCV Commission for Maiden Gully-YCW to start an under-18s team as a stepping stone towards the whole club moving into the league.
Former Bendigo league president Jock Clark. Picture: Zoe Phillips

Former Bendigo league president Jock Clark. Picture: Zoe Phillips

The Bendigo league’s relationship with the former commission led by Nicholas Rolfe was fractured beyond repair and with no replacement overarching body in place there are concerns big changes needed will be pushed back to 2026.
‘It’s tragic what’s happening,” former BFNL president Jock Clark said.
“The whole thing needs a restructure.
“As a matter of urgency you would be looking to bring Maiden Gully-YCW in and you’d be mad not to put an offer on the table for Rochester to come back.
“Gisborne will definitely be gone if something doesn’t happen, Maryborough will go somewhere else and all of a sudden you’re down to seven teams.”
But Gisborne president John Wood doused speculation the club was contemplating a move to the Ballarat league.
“It’s a total furphy,” he said.
“It hasn’t been discussed at committee level, it’s not something that players talk about, it’s not happening.”
Former Sandhurst ruckman Hamish Hosking has joined Birchip-Watchem this season. Picture: SAA Imaging

Former Sandhurst ruckman Hamish Hosking has joined Birchip-Watchem this season. Picture: SAA Imaging

Following Gisborne’s 258-point thrashing of Maryborough in round three, Sandhurst beat it by a league record 333 points last Saturday.
Maryborough will get a chance to regroup with a bye weekend and remains committed to playing the season out.
Rushed attempts last year to form a second-tier BFNL competition, involving some existing clubs including Maryborough, failed with Kyneton quitting the league.
Kyneton president Hayden Evans said the switch to the Riddell District league saved the club.
“We made a very, very hard decision, I lost friends over it,” he said.
“I understand why clubs can’t make them because it’s just too hard, but you’ve got to have a club.
“We left because the future of was unclear.
“Everything strips back to population.
“Gisborne competes because they’ve got 15,000 people and is a one-club town.

“If you haven’t got the population, the only way to get players is to pay them more.”
Maryborough faces a constant battle for players with Maryborough-District league teams and the newly merged club, Maryborough Giants, haven’t won a match.
Bendigo league chairwoman Carol McKinstry was contacted for comment.

jock does know bendigo footy too, hes called plenty of matches. Pretty sure he wad president of flat when they got dekka there and nearly won the flag too.

South, haven't been rhe same since Coburn left, flat have hardly played finals since the early 00s, Maryborough wouldn't make finals in the loddon Valley, the league is in the cross-hairs. They need maiden gully, they should have a crwck at Wycheproof nully merged side entering and echuca and Moama both entering, I'm not sure what's happening in hq.
Maryborough don't have a grade netball, really don't have senior football, they didn't have thirds for a long time, they need to sign a coach for 5 years if they want to continue in the bfl. Or the bfl needs to say you need numbers in all grades of footy and netball or maybe go to the central highlands. Footy in central Victoria has never being worse

jock does know bendigo footy too, hes called plenty of matches. Pretty sure he wad president of flat when they got dekka there and nearly won the flag too.

South, haven't been rhe same since Coburn left, flat have hardly played finals since the early 00s, Maryborough wouldn't make finals in the loddon Valley, the league is in the cross-hairs. They need maiden gully, they should have a crwck at Wycheproof nully merged side entering and echuca and Moama both entering, I'm not sure what's happening in hq.
Maryborough don't have a grade netball, really don't have senior football, they didn't have thirds for a long time, they need to sign a coach for 5 years if they want to continue in the bfl. Or the bfl needs to say you need numbers in all grades of footy and netball or maybe go to the central highlands. Footy in central Victoria has never being worse

Total revamp needed from AFL VIC, maybe points and salary cap need to be scrapped. They are easy to get right on a micro level but the macro level (league v league) complicates it beyond practicality.

Ie Metro clubs with 45+ points when Nully are stuck on 42.

If the points were to work locally then bendigo based clubs should be 30 or less. but that penalises them v melb metro and vafa

I am actually over how the country clubs have been abandoned by the hub model.

Maybe its time for an alternative admin hub that administers the leagues that exist in AFL CV but outside of AFL VIC.

Streamline the overheads, create a points policy and points caps that make the clubs in the region have more scope v metro.

Employ local content providers specific for each league. And get on the ground and out to the clubs that pay the fees to turn the wheel.

The NCFL and HDFL are the biggest assets to AFL CV at the moment but they are not treated with and respect.

Time to leave the hub for those leagues

Remove this Banner Ad

Back