Bendigo FL discussion 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Heaps of teams statewide doing 1 1/2 or 2 hour drives, travel not really a consideration for a game of footy theses days, except for those that havent been doing any.
Agree, though it’s the more remote country areas/teams where that happens, as there aren’t really any other options. For a town like Wallan, which is borderline a suburb of Melbourne these days, it wouldn’t be welcomed - that’s my assumption anyway. The Riddell league sees itself as a hybrid metro/country league. They are self governed, and a new club would need to be accepted and approved by the existing clubs, as Kyneton were when they joined. Again, another assumption, but I don’t think the clubs would vote to accept a club like Maryborough in, based off there location. Castlemaine would be borderline as well I reckon, as one of the many things the RDFL clubs enjoy is the relative proximity of all clubs.

Heard of Hay mate? Travel will become longer as clubs go by the wayside and teams amalgamate or if there is ever a restructure of couuntry footy.
There’s more chance of Kyneton putting an application to rejoin the Bendigo league in 2025 than there is of Maryborough joining the RDFL

With Gisborne Giants, Melton South and Sunbury Kangaroos all possibly joining the RDFL in the next two years, why would the current clubs even look at considering Maryborough. The players would have jet lag before they even run out onto the ground.

That's what I'm thinking. CHFNL would have teams further away than Bendigo.

On SM-G970F using BigFooty.com mobile app
Not as far as travelling to gisborne in the bfl. You can't have a town with 10,000 compete against really small towns. Central highlands will still see less travel than Bendigo.

When you see Costs associated, what incentive is there for any club to join the bfl. From reading that, it's pretty fair to assume afl central Vic has made it as hard as possible to continue in the bfl.
I'd love to know what their thought process is

Not as far as travelling to gisborne in the bfl. You can't have a town with 10,000 compete against really small towns. Central highlands will still see less travel than Bendigo.

When you see Costs associated, what incentive is there for any club to join the bfl. From reading that, it's pretty fair to assume afl central Vic has made it as hard as possible to continue in the bfl.
Walk me through that conclusion.

They don’t have a plan - at all. Maiden gully / marong / Huntly / white hills etc would get beaten by 200 same as Maryborough - unless of course they spend up. The BFNL board are that arrogant they probably think they are a chance to get Echuca and Rochy but we all know that’s never going to happen. Wake up - 2 tier comp coming that will be thrown together like a shit sandwich. Netball will be a shambles etc - sit back and watch the disaster unfold

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

They don’t have a plan - at all. Maiden gully / marong / Huntly / white hills etc would get beaten by 200 same as Maryborough - unless of course they spend up. The BFNL board are that arrogant they probably think they are a chance to get Echuca and Rochy but we all know that’s never going to happen. Wake up - 2 tier comp coming that will be thrown together like a shit sandwich. Netball will be a shambles etc - sit back and watch the disaster unfold

They would need at least 16 clubs to create a two-tier competition.

All I can see at the moment is LVFL and NCFL merging to become a second tier to the Bendigo league as part of a Central Victoria league.

I cannot even see Heathcote wanting to be involved as a Division 2 East (with LV/NC as a Division 2 West) in a multi-tier system. Their probable response right now would be two words long and the first one would be "get".

As a few people have said, Heathcote could lay claim to being the premier league in the region.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Castlemaine to follow Maryborough
Gisborne to Ballarat.

South Bendigo & Kangaroo Flat to Heathcote League.

Sandhurst, Golden Square, Strathfieldsaye and Eaglehawk to the GVL.

Not my preferred option, but how else will it all play out?

Last edited:
They would need at least 16 clubs to create a two-tier competition.

All I can see at the moment is LVFL and NCFL merging to become a second tier to the Bendigo league as part of a Central Victoria league.

I cannot even see Heathcote wanting to be involved as a Division 2 East (with LV/NC as a Division 2 West) in a multi-tier system. Their probable response right now would be two words long and the first one would be "get".

As a few people have said, Heathcote could lay claim to being the premier league in the region.
Heathcote is definitely improving year after year but Bendigo rep side would still win by 15 goals.

Saw this on Facebook View attachment 2002524

This is the information that has been put to all club members and supporters. No decision has been made as yet as all options are on the table for discussion. I can state this was not taken lightly but once again the club has been proactive as despite all our efforts things haven’t gone to plan.

There is a lot of misinformation on here and I can state Riddell is not an option for the club despite some statements from so called informers. Things such as merging and where the club may play in the future will all be discussed.

Unfortunately despite unbelievable efforts we have been unable to be competitive for many reasons, of which many have been discussed on here and in the media. The club is still financially strong, has good support but is not competitive at the required level in the BFNL at this time. The BFNL is a league of haves and have nots and the gap continues to widen due to many reasons, some of which have been the responsibility of the old commission.

The most important thing at this time is the club will play the year out in the BFNL and whilst this occurs options for the future will be considered. As many know football around Maryborough isn’t in good shape and we as a club have also been affected by this. It is a sad day when a town of around 8,000 cannot support having a club in a major league but times change and the most important thing is the club continues to exist in some manner and provide opportunities for the community to participate in sport.

It is not the end of the world for the club but we are doing the right thing having a look at the future and what may be available. That is good due diligence. There are some amazing people involved in the club and others that have come forward to assist at this time and I am philosophical about the future. I would have loved for the club to be more competitive this year but many factors conspired against us after a positive summer.

Sometimes you have to go backwards to go forwards and in this instance the club needs to so as to determine it’s future. All will work out if we use the right approach and look at everything. In times of challenges as is occurring at the club, you stick together and rest assured the culture and environment at Maryborough FNC has never been as strong and tight despite the onfield results.

Finally it is easy to point fingers at others who may have not done this and that to support the club. I will state the club will not be doing anything of the like but will state we have been appreciative of some great help we have received from some unlikely sources, especially clubs in the BFNL.

If you want further information please feel free to message me directly.

Castlemaine to follow Maryborough
Gisborne to Ballarat.

South Bendigo & Kangaroo Flat to Heathcote League.

Sandhurst, Golden Square, Strathfieldsaye and Eaglehawk to the GVL.

Not my preferred option, but how else will it all play out?
I cannot see Castlemaine going to the Maryborough-Castlemaine league. Forrest might correct me on that but I think it is unlikely. I also cannot see South Bendigo going to the Heathcote league.

Wouldn’t surprise me if the Giants have an extra set of letters on their jumper next year.
Royal Park and Rovers (now merged Giants side) sat down with them when they were discussing the merger.

Maryborough wanted to merge but keep a team in the BFL and MCDFNL and still try to make it work rather than cutting losses and moving forward. The Giants weren’t ever wanting to join BFL even if Magpies had merged into them as well. They were to stubborn and missed the boat there had their chance would be surprising to see them get another that was a “friendly” merge.

This is the information that has been put to all club members and supporters. No decision has been made as yet as all options are on the table for discussion. I can state this was not taken lightly but once again the club has been proactive as despite all our efforts things haven’t gone to plan.

There is a lot of misinformation on here and I can state Riddell is not an option for the club despite some statements from so called informers. Things such as merging and where the club may play in the future will all be discussed.

Unfortunately despite unbelievable efforts we have been unable to be competitive for many reasons, of which many have been discussed on here and in the media. The club is still financially strong, has good support but is not competitive at the required level in the BFNL at this time. The BFNL is a league of haves and have nots and the gap continues to widen due to many reasons, some of which have been the responsibility of the old commission.

The most important thing at this time is the club will play the year out in the BFNL and whilst this occurs options for the future will be considered. As many know football around Maryborough isn’t in good shape and we as a club have also been affected by this. It is a sad day when a town of around 8,000 cannot support having a club in a major league but times change and the most important thing is the club continues to exist in some manner and provide opportunities for the community to participate in sport.

It is not the end of the world for the club but we are doing the right thing having a look at the future and what may be available. That is good due diligence. There are some amazing people involved in the club and others that have come forward to assist at this time and I am philosophical about the future. I would have loved for the club to be more competitive this year but many factors conspired against us after a positive summer.

Sometimes you have to go backwards to go forwards and in this instance the club needs to so as to determine it’s future. All will work out if we use the right approach and look at everything. In times of challenges as is occurring at the club, you stick together and rest assured the culture and environment at Maryborough FNC has never been as strong and tight despite the onfield results.

Finally it is easy to point fingers at others who may have not done this and that to support the club. I will state the club will not be doing anything of the like but will state we have been appreciative of some great help we have received from some unlikely sources, especially clubs in the BFNL.

If you want further information please feel free to message me directly.

Fair play to them wanting to play the season out -
But what are the benefits ?

Wouldn’t you put all of your energy into next year (however that looks)

Paying to be witches hats for the bendigo comp seems like a step backwards again.

Fair enough continue the kids anf netball but full energy should be spent on recruiting and set up for 2025.

Fair play to them wanting to play the season out -
But what are the benefits ?

Wouldn’t you put all of your energy into next year (however that looks)

Paying to be witches hats for the bendigo comp seems like a step backwards again.

Fair enough continue the kids anf netball but full energy should be spent on recruiting and set up for 2025.

You bemoan the declining standard of the league, the imminent departure of clubs and the likelihood the competition becoming a seven team minor league. But then you put the boots into a proud club that has made the tough decision to depart the league to try and ensure survival, asking what the benefits are in continuing this season.
How about player, official and supporter engagement?
How about making sure they don't screw over the other eight clubs by just walking away when it got too hard? Ensuring all teams get two opportunities to play Maryborough rather than skewing the ladder by quitting now.
All clubs are simultaneously working on the current season and planning ahead for future seasons. Granted, planning to change leagues and/or merge is different to normal future planning but it's not impossible. Think Kyneton managed that?
Amazing to think a club would be criticised for not thinking solely of what benefits itself.

Sent you a message Forest

Can’t see it sorry.

I cannot see Castlemaine going to the Maryborough-Castlemaine league.

No chance I would say, the league wouldn’t accept them. The only small possibility would be a merger with Campbells Creek but that would take a significant shift in thinking from both sides. Bit of ice required in hell I’d say.

Central Highlands would be the go, they’d probably be there already if it wasn’t so unattractive to play footy over there in winter.
Amazing to think a club would be criticised for not thinking solely of what benefits itself.

Good on them for going on but I would have seriously weighed up saving the money to load up next year.

They don’t owe Bendigo footy or any of the clubs a single thing.

I'd think the central highlands is there only option and merge with a neighbouring smaller town. I think there's a disconnect between juniors and seniors played on different days in the bfl. So I think that will suit them more to retain families. Maybe it helps recruiting to as the central highlands is closer to Melbourne, Ballarat and Geelong than Bendigo.

Afl central Vic I hope have been proactive in looking for clubs to join the league. You'd think there's a real chance gisborne go and play in a stronger comp, with more teams and teams closer to them with long standing rivalries.

So that's 2 teams gone. Maybe castlemaine go heathcote too or central highlands. Then south and flat join heathcote along with marong and maiden gully presumably. All of a sudden the heathcote league could have 15 or 16 clubs if cohuna join as well. That's a major league right there.

I'm not sure ballarat or the gv would be keen to take the 4 bendigo clubs across. There needs to be a long term plan for footy in the area. You can't have a place like bendigo, growing population strong footy ties in this position

Remove this Banner Ad

Back