BeNeLiga (merge of Belgian and Dutch competition)

Remove this Banner Ad

• Banned

Got an English link/source. Very interested in the merged comp. Good for both domestic scenes I reckon

This article only says that Deloitte will have finished its study on the matter by the end of August. The proposal is a league with 10 Dutch and 8 Belgian clubs. Once the report is ready, clubs will come together and take it from there. Nothing's been decided yet, but it looks like this is what the big clubs want, while a year ago I had the impression that the Dutch clubs were looking down at this Belgian idea.

This article only says that Deloitte will have finished its study on the matter by the end of August. The proposal is a league with 10 Dutch and 8 Belgian clubs. Once the report is ready, clubs will come together and take it from there. Nothing's been decided yet, but it looks like this is what the big clubs want, while a year ago I had the impression that the Dutch clubs were looking down at this Belgian idea.

Why would Ajax not like the idea?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It would only work if it was a permanent move. But too much of a risk for Celtic even if they decided to accept stating in league one or two

Celtic (and Rangers) would move if admitted directly to EFL League Two. Outspending those clubs would be relatively straightforward and by the time they get to EFL Championship the move is already worthwhile.

It's getting everyone else to see what they'd get out of it that's the hard part.

Never. English league wouldn't want them unless they started low down and Celtic wouldn't want to do that

It would only work if it was a permanent move. But too much of a risk for Celtic even if they decided to accept stating in league one or two

how do you figure?

im sure they would be fine playing division 3 or 4 for a couple years

how do you figure?

im sure they would be fine playing division 3 or 4 for a couple years
Sure league two will be a piece of cake. But league one and a 46 game season plus cups won't be as easy as many think. Plus EFL ffp rules they can't just throw money at it to go up

Sure league two will be a piece of cake. But league one and a 46 game season plus cups won't be as easy as many think. Plus EFL ffp rules they can't just throw money at it to go up

Their ticket revenue dwarfs most EFL clubs.

Why would Ajax not like the idea?

I think they do now. But a year ago the BeNeLiga idea was also being discussed publicly and back then it felt like the Dutch were seeing it as Belgian clubs taking advantage of the success of the better Dutch league. The Netherlands are bigger than Belgium and the average standard of their league and top clubs has on average been better historically.

This whole things is pretty difficult to organise by the way. The smaller clubs of both leagues, who are in the majority, won't be in favour, and also, in Belgium it's only the Flemish clubs (and Anderlecht, who are in the Brussels region) who are interested. Then again, only 4 out of the 16 clubs this season are from the Walloon region.

Apart from that, there are also the legal differences between both countries, like players' minimum wages. And at the moment, the Belgian clubs can't even agree to how many clubs will be in the top division next season.

Personally, I'd like to see 2 national leagues until January, followed by a BeNeLiga with 10-12 clubs for the rest of the season.

I think they do now. But a year ago the BeNeLiga idea was also being discussed publicly and back then it felt like the Dutch were seeing it as Belgian clubs taking advantage of the success of the better Dutch league. The Netherlands are bigger than Belgium and the average standard of their league and top clubs has on average been better historically.

This whole things is pretty difficult to organise by the way. The smaller clubs of both leagues, who are in the majority, won't be in favour, and also, in Belgium it's only the Flemish clubs (and Anderlecht, who are in the Brussels region) who are interested. Then again, only 4 out of the 16 clubs this season are from the Walloon region.

Apart from that, there are also the legal differences between both countries, like players' minimum wages. And at the moment, the Belgian clubs can't even agree to how many clubs will be in the top division next season.

Personally, I'd like to see 2 national leagues until January, followed by a BeNeLiga with 10-12 clubs for the rest of the season.

No chance of a Luxembourg club being included?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back