• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Feb 10, 2011
Weitering
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Bayern München
Recently been gearing towards watching quality Australian movies, interested to know what BF thinks is the top of the tops. I’ve included the most popular ones but am happy and eager to see if there’s any gems that I don’t know abour.

I've seen over 700. My personal top 10 (i.e. top 1.4%):

1. Wake in Fright (1971)
2. The Proposition (2005)
3. The Last Wave (1977)
4. Picnic at Hanging Rock (1975)
5. High Tide (1987)
6. Gallipoli (1981)
7. The Year My Voice Broke (1987)
8. Candy (2006)
9. The Babadook (2014)
10. Mad Max: Fury Road (2015)

Of those 8 listed in your (initial) poll, I think Chopper and Animal Kingdom are the standouts, or at least the ones I'm most partial to. Least enthused with Romper Stomper and Muriel's Wedding (both just shy of 7/10 for me), but understand why they're there. Therefore I voted Other. Also worth noting that the 8 listed only span 1986-2002, lots of other great stuff before and after (and during).

Last edited:

It's probably seen as pretty misogynistic these days but I've always enjoyed The Man from Snowy River.

Starstruck is great too. Jo Kennedy was a babe.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Chopper

Then in no particular order:

The Nightingale
Wolf Creek
Romper Stomper
Saw
Tomorrow When The War Began

Breaker Morant

Gallipoli

Gallipoli is a powerful film, they showed that to us when we were at a Gallipoli beach party on an Anzac tour and on the piss, that sobered us right up.

That film and that Jean Michel Jarre soundtrack is a masterpiece.

Can't beat the Mad Max films.

Mad Max and Mad Max 2 are Oz film classics.

Mad Max 3 Beyond Thunderdome was a mistake.

Mad Max Fury Road was a return to form, the best Oz film I've seen in ages.

George Miller is a genius.

Gallipoli is a powerful film, they showed that to us when we were at a Gallipoli beach party on an Anzac tour and on the piss, that sobered us right up.

That film and that Jean Michel Jarre soundtrack is a masterpiece.
Not seen the movie since I was a little kid but it probably shoud be seen as number one for this thread.
I should find where I can watch it again. My memory is mixed with this movie, Breaker Morant and The Lighthorsemen from this era. One of the main actors was in a car accident or something and in a coma for years.
Probably would have been a household name like Mel Gibson if that tragic turn of events had not happened. Such a fantastic actor too was Jon Blake.

Back