Environment Serious foot-and-mouth threat to Australian agriculture

Remove this Banner Ad

Dairy Australia

With Australian borders freely open international travel is now back on the cards. If you're travelling to Australia from Indonesia (including Bali), it's vital you take the appropriate precautions to help prevent Foot-and-mouth disease from reaching our farming communities.

The steps you can take include:

• Thoroughly clean and disinfect your shoes and boots before returning to Australia, or even better, leave them behind
• Inform Customs if you've been in contact with cattle, pigs, sheep or goats if you've been to rural areas, and/or if you're carrying animal material or food.
• If in contact with cattle, pigs, sheep or goats overseas, stay away from these species for at least 28 hours after contact – the virus can survive in your nasal passages

For more information on how you can help keep Australia FMD free, visit How to prevent bringing Foot-and-Mouth Disease on farm

#ausdairy #dairy

Australian Biosecurity

⚠TRAVELLER WARNING: Foot-and-mouth disease.

If you’re travelling back to Australia from Indonesia, including Bali:

⛔ Don’t pack meat and dairy products

🧼 Ensure shoes, clothing and equipment is clean and soil-free

🐄 Declare if you’ve visited a rural area or have been in contact with, or near, farm animals.

🛃 Increased screening is in place at international airports to protect against foot-and-mouth disease. If in doubt, declare any animal products and contaminated equipment and clothing, or ask a biosecurity official.

Help keep Australia safe. Penalties of up to $2,664 apply for breaching Australia’s biosecurity laws.

📱 Share this post with family and friends!

For more information, visit: https://fal.cn/3q1SE

#Biosecurity #footandmouth #footandmouthdisease #Indonesia #Bali

Last edited:
Several farming friends are very worried about this very real threat. I’ll quote one of them:

“Declaring it, is only the start.

“Given the soul destroying and rather pathetic response from our government deeming foot baths being too dangerous for children returning from Indonesia (they may fall over!!!!!!!!), there has been a well deserved outcry from livestock producers.

“The threat of Foot & Mouth Disease (FMD) to Australia's livestock industries (people and animals wellbeing and welfare) and national economy cannot be understated.
To be honest, every farmer I have spoken to over the last few days is worried. Concerned. Horrified. Mortified.
Scared.
Every single Aussie needs to be aware of the threat and implications of this disease entering Australia.
We all need to reach as many of our compatriots as we can regarding this issue.”

Help me out, as I don’t understand the issue……

NZ has FMD outbreaks from time to time. The meat a dairy can still be consumed

NZ just vaccinates

What would be different here?
This is a serious outbreak in Bali, which is now experiencing a surge in tourism from Australia. My farming friends are unhappy with the government response.

Coming back from Bali? Get ready for extra biosecurity checks

Coming back from Bali? Get ready for extra biosecurity checks

I don't understand the opposition to foot baths. Prevention seems to be a far cheaper alternative to treatment of FMD

I believe they are now in the major airports as well as the above 🤞
Between FMD and the verroa mite finally being found in bees in Australia, our food production is not as secure as we often assume it is. It is certainly worthly of a strong policy response

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Calls to temporarily halt or limit travel from Indonesia including Bali.

But it’s argued this would damage relations between us and Indonesia.

Australia has been free of FMD for a century. But it is present in other parts of Asia and Africa. The concern is with Bali and with very large numbers of holiday makers travelling back and forth, getting accurate declarations on travel cards is paramount. As well as the footbaths.

It’s hoped we can work WITH Indonesia for our mutual protection of food supply.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back