Daniel Andrews Resigns

Remove this Banner Ad

Plenty of my friends are in a similar basket to you though Chief, barely affected them and they didn't have anyone close to them who struggled with the toll of the lockdowns.
No there were effects and struggles. Just no suicides.

Those critical of him - is it purely the COVID lockdown and the continuing economic fallout from that which has you so embittered? I think many mistakes were made, but its only with the benefit of hindsight that we really know the depth of it.

I still don't feel bitter.
What's not to understand? When it started the COVID pandemic threw out so many unknowns. Could there have been a catastrophic death toll? Maybe. If the entire workforce got sick would it cripple the economy in its entirety? Maybe.

Hindsight tells a far different story than any amount of foresight. Telling the story as it was rather than what it might be.

Again, what's not to understand?
Your questions to other people are just you trying to rationalise things for yourself. Everybody else is clear.

That is terrible but I don't know of any friends or family in Vic who committed suicide at that time.

I had a cousin die from cancer and we werent able to get to the funeral.

Indoor bans are maybe excusable but there was absolutely zero sense with the outdoor bans.

And despite all the bluster noone bothered paying the fines and the govt never bothered going after them.

I think Dan was between a rock and a hard place.

There was the risk of underestimating the threat of Covid and potentially millions dying or the threat posed by potentially destroying the economy and people’s livelihoods by lockdowns, curfews and other restrictions.

There wasn’t much chance of half-way measures being effective with the unknown threat Covid would pose. So he and CHO Sutton had to take a gamble one way or the other.

Lockdowns certainly weren’t fun but we fared better than other countries worldwide.

I think probably Dan’s biggest failures were the Belt and Road Initiative and the Commonwealth Games fiasco.

Now the question is given he didn’t see out even a year in the latest term, what next for Labor and Victorians? The incumbent Premier is going to have her work cut out for sure!

Your questions to other people are just you trying to rationalise things for yourself. Everybody else is clear.
Even these days, years after lockdown, I don't see a whole lot of clarity. Solutions ran the gamut from 'let 'er rip' to the China Solution where, as the stories went, people were shut into their apartment blocks and the entrances welded shut. Plus everything in between those two extremes.

Mistakes were DEFINITELY made. Hotel quarantine was a nightmare. The security company involved, Wilsons Security, was hopelessly out of its depth for health crisis deployment

Once it spread to nursing homes the death toll rose considerably.

But how do you plan for a global pandemic and expect everything to go smoothly? People are people, and people f*ck things up.

The best thing we can do right now is examine everything. LEARN from it. Who knows when something like this might happen again.

Even these days, years after lockdown, I don't see a whole lot of clarity. Solutions ran the gamut from 'let 'er rip' to the China Solution where, as the stories went, people were shut into their apartment blocks and the entrances welded shut. Plus everything in between those two extremes.

Mistakes were DEFINITELY made. Hotel quarantine was a nightmare. The security company involved, Wilsons Security, was hopelessly out of its depth for health crisis deployment

But how do you plan for a global pandemic and expect everything to go smoothly? People are people, and people f*ck things up.

The best thing we can do right now is examine everything. LEARN from it. Who knows when something like this might happen again.

Andrews set up an inquiry in the hotel quarantine then claimed he couldn't recall anything about it. It wasn't a trivial matter, it led to 768 deaths.

Victoria had a preferred list of security suppliers. The idea is you look into companies in advance so it easier to make decisions on who gets contracts. Unified was not on the government’s list so why did it end up doing the bulk of the hotel quarantine work?

Australia had a well considered and reviewed pandemic plan but we didn't follow it.

I agree we need to examine everything and learn from it. Unfortunately the inquiry that Albanese has announced excludes looking at what the states did. All the following measures were imposed at state level. Curfews, 1 hour limits on being outside the house, 5km movement limits, only 4 reasons to leave the home, police checkpoints between metro and regional areas, travel across state borders not allowed, public housing complexes locked up, schools closed, weddings not permitted.

Andrews set up an inquiry in the hotel quarantine then claimed he couldn't recall anything about it. It wasn't a trivial matter, it led to 768 deaths.

Victoria had a preferred list of security suppliers. The idea is you look into companies in advance so it easier to make decisions on who gets contracts. Unified was not on the government’s list so why did it end up doing the bulk of the hotel quarantine work?

Australia had a well considered and reviewed pandemic plan but we didn't follow it.

I agree we need to examine everything and learn from it. Unfortunately the inquiry that Albanese has announced excludes looking at what the states did. All the following measures were imposed at state level. Curfews, 1 hour limits on being outside the house, 5km movement limits, only 4 reasons to leave the home, police checkpoints between metro and regional areas, travel across state borders not allowed, public housing complexes locked up, schools closed, weddings not permitted.

I agree with you. There needs to be a full accounting, no matter how politically uncomfortable it might get. Future response depends on the lessons learned from this. Federal, State and local.

I think Dan was between a rock and a hard place.

There was the risk of underestimating the threat of Covid and potentially millions dying or the threat posed by potentially destroying the economy and people’s livelihoods by lockdowns, curfews and other restrictions.

There wasn’t much chance of half-way measures being effective with the unknown threat Covid would pose. So he and CHO Sutton had to take a gamble one way or the other.

Lockdowns certainly weren’t fun but we fared better than other countries worldwide.

I think probably Dan’s biggest failures were the Belt and Road Initiative and the Commonwealth Games fiasco.

Now the question is given he didn’t see out even a year in the latest term, what next for Labor and Victorians? The incumbent Premier is going to have her work cut out for sure!
Couldn't win whatever he did, whatever he did, there would have been a large group against the decision.

The Covid problem did not impact the State run nursing homes.

The nursing home deaths were all in the Federal controlled private enterprise businesses, where people were sacrificed on the altar of mammon, profits being more important than people. For example, they saved money by not issuing masks until it was proven the poor bugger actually had Covid.

Dan saved us from the do nothing Federal Government who are responsible for all quarantine matters when the PM abandoned us with his let it rip policy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The only people who supported lockdowns were introverts who liked the excuse of being able to stay home all the time
And, you know, health professionals

Haha "Health professionals".

As I said in the other thread, no politician will ever declare a pandemic now that the tide has turned. If a health gumby so much as even thinks of suggesting using pandemic powers, the premier will give its henchman the same look Al Pacino gave to his henchman in The Godfather 2.

We'll be surrounded by people who look like Ed Norton in Kingdom of Heaven, and a pandemic will not be declared.

What has to be learned is how whacked out the average Melbournian/Victorian is to allow themselves to condone decisions from a ******* like Andrews.

Retires as reigning Premier with an undefeated record - conservatives in shambles

hulk hogan wrestling GIF by WWE

And, you know, health professionals
Professionally introverted. Not good enough to survive.
and, you know, the immunocompromised
Medically introverted. Not good enough to survive.
Haha "Health professionals".

As I said in the other thread, no politician will ever declare a pandemic now that the tide has turned. If a health gumby so much as even thinks of suggesting using pandemic powers, the premier will give its henchman the same look Al Pacino gave to his henchman in The Godfather 2.

We'll be surrounded by people who look like Ed Norton in Kingdom of Heaven, and a pandemic will not be declared.

What has to be learned is how whacked out the average Melbournian/Victorian is to allow themselves to condone decisions from a ******* like Andrews.
Yep. In all future outbreaks the population must be left out 'there' to die. Only the financially introverted with the funds to both stockpile and shun society at large should survive.

Strange timing. Mental toll of the job?
Stuck around long enough to deliver an election smashing and then cop the bulk of the hits for an unpopular budget and the Commonwealth Games fiasco.

I thought he'd stick around for the opening of the Metro Tunnel and West Gate Tunnel, now Jacinta Allan (who's was the key minister for the Big Build projects) gets to take their completion (and hopefully a restart of the Airport Rail Project) into the next election.

Pros / Cons of Andrews aside as I have no skin in the fight, it is a dick move for premiers to resign (presuming he doesn't have a serious health issue) within their term. Didn't even last a year of the 4 year term he was elected for. Last two premiers have done that down here and you get stuck with the next idiot in the queue decided by the party instead of the electorate.
That's true in some cases, not here I reckon.

The Liberals put Daniel Andrews' face front and centre on their 2022 election campaign and it was pretty clear that they were completely shocked by how far off the mark they were with that... they thought it was a free hit.

If this isn't a good time to resign, I'm not sure when is. I think the writing was on the wall that he wasn't going to lead the ALP into the next election: now he's taken a fair bit of the heat of Allan for the Commonwealth Games (she was the Minister) and gives her a few years to set up for the election. Of course, the usual people will point to another Andrews lie about serving the full term, but what do we really expect? What else can he say?

Biggest campaigner that god ever put breath into.
5 IBAC enquiries, lied to the Covid enquiry and colluded with every one of his ministers to do the same.
Every single major project, millions or billions over budget.
Lies about his decision to cancel the Comm Games as it's now proven he lawyered up a month prior to the decision, despite saying at his presser that he'd been amde aware of the $6b cost blowout 2 days prior.
Drove away from the scene of an accident involving a child, did not offer to be breath tested.

If I never see or hear of this absolute campaigner again, I will live a better life.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back