3. The Creator
4. Godzilla Minus One
5. They Cloned Tyrone
6. The Equalizer 3
7. The Killer
8. Infinity Pool
9. Leave the World Behind
10. Cocaine Bear

They are generally low to medium budget, a good script, a run time that doesn't drag, and characters you can root for. Then there's Beau Is Afraid.

I am happy to have suggestions of other movies I missed in 2023. I didn't highly rate any of the highly promoted blockbusters that I watched - Barbie, Napoleon, Oppenheimer, Killers of the Flower Moon, John Wick 4, The Fabelmans, Gran Turismo, Mission Impossible 8.

Last edited:
No order.

Gran Tourismo.
John Wick 4.
Creed 3
Dungeons & Dragons Honor Amongst Thieves
Guardians of the Galaxy 3
Spider-man Across the Universe
The Last Voyage of the Demeter
Extraction 2

Honourable mentions - Fast X, Rise of the Beasts, The Marvels (yes I enjoyed it, except the end)

Seriously just how bad is the state of movies at the moment.

Not knocking poster's selections but rather the limited quality of movies available in 2023.

Its only going to get worse too.

My thoughts exactly when entering this thread. I didn’t like many movies this year

Guardians of the Galaxy 3 is the best movie this year by far.

Leave the world behind or Spiderverse probably 2nd for me.

My list.

1. Sisu
2. The Creator
3. Godzilla Minus One
4. They Cloned Tyrone
5. The Equalizer 3
6. The Killer
7. The Continental
8. Infinity Pool
9. Leave the World Behind
10. Cocaine Bear

They are generally low to medium budget, a good script, a run time that doesn't drag, and characters you can root for.

I am happy to have suggestions of other movies I missed in 2023. I didn't highly rate any of the highly promoted blockbusters that I watched - Barbie, Napoleon, Oppenheimer, Killers of the Flower Moon, John Wick 4, The Fabelmans, Gran Torino, Mission Impossible 8.

The Continental isn’t even a movie and Sisu came out last year

I have some work to do before I can do my top 10, too many movies on my watchlist. Combination of awards season rush and some mildly frustrating staggered cinema releases.

Still hoping to watch the majority of the following: Zone of Interest, Anatomy of a Fall, Poor Things, Dream Scenario, May December, The Holdovers, Priscilla.

Locks so far: Killers of the Flower Moon, Oppenheimer, Talk To Me, Past Lives.

I actually think its been a pretty solid year, I already have over 10 movies I rated at least 8/10 which is more than I got last year. Helps that some of those big ticket films worked for me.

Pretty lousy year for horror though.

It's all subjective

The top 3 grossing films of the year did not include a sequel or a remake for the first time since 2001, that's kinda cool.

YMMV about Barbenheimer but it was nice to see people back at the cinemas in a major way for the first time in a few years.

To put the movies in perspective and my concerns about the future.

Here are some of the top movies of 2013, 10 years ago according to Rotten Tomatoes, which IMO are much superior quality to the movies released in 2023.

Gravity
12 years a Slave
Zero Dark Thirty
American Hustle
Dallas Buyers Club
The Conjuring
Prisoners
Side Effects

I saw all of these in the cinema.

Those that didnt make it to Rotten Tomatoes

World War Z
The Place Beyond the Pines
Star Trek into Darkness
About Time
Man of Steel
Django Unchained

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Here are some of the top movies of 2013, 10 years ago according to Rotten Tomatoes,

Rotten Tomatoes is correct, 2013 was ten years ago 😜

I don’t know, I think year to year there’s probably not a huge difference in quality (aside absolute nadirs like 2020). There’s a general slide that’s been under way since probably the late 70s and certainly since the drowning of the market in mega blockbusters in the mid-2000s. 2013 had some masterpieces - Under the Skin, Inside Llewyn Davis, Stranger by the Lake, The Great Beauty etc. But there have been some greats this year too - even noting that there’s usually a lot at the tail end of the year (so I’m not doing my list yet), things like Killers of the Flower Moon, the Wes Anderson Roald Dahl shorts, festival fare such as Fallen Leaves and Afire have all been great and give some tepid cause for hope.

The Fabelmans is my best pic for this year.

Quite a few hyped movies that disappointed. Napoleon the biggest disappointment..the Killer, Creator, Maestro, Barbie all a let down.
Liked Oppenheimer but not as much as I’d thought.

From what I saw...

Barbie - 9/10
Oppenheimer - 9/10

Talk To Me - 8/10
Guardians of the Galaxy vol. 3 - 8/10
Saw X - 8/10

Spiderman: Across the Spider-Verse - 7/10

Mission Impossible: Dead Reckoning - 6/10
No Hard Feelings - 6/10
The Hunger Games: The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes - 6/10
The Super Mario Bros. Movie - 6/10
Scream VI - 6/10

The Flash - 5/10

Cocaine Bear - 4/10
Insidious: The Red Door - 4/10

Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny - 3/10

Pretty decent year in cinema.

1. Oppenheimer
2. Spider-man Across the Verse
3. Killer of the Flower Moon
4. Past Lives
5. The Holdovers
6. Blackberry
7. Planes
8. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Mutant Mayhem
9. Maestro
10. May December

I thought this year was great, best since 2019

My top 10 list

Anatomy of A Fall
May December
Blackberry
Afire
Killers of The Flower Moon
Oppenheimer
The Killer
Leave the World Behind
Dumb Money
Past Lives
Beau is Afraid

There are heaps of honorable mentions, Barbie, John Wick 4 , Air, Infinity Pool, The Holdovers, Fair Play, Missing, Quiz Lady, Reality and a few i might have missed

And i still need to see Poor Things, The Iron Claw, Fallen Leaves, Monster ,Eileen, Dream Scenario and a lot of others.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back