Club History Best Port Adelaide cameos

Remove this Banner Ad

'54 were you of the belief that he spat the dummy and that's why he only played 5 games? Was that what came out back then? I had no idea about the post season footy trip to play East Freo.

I was only a very young kid at the time REH, and not quite up with the footy politics of the day. ;)
My guess is Neil was made an offer by East Perth that he couldn't refuse.

I couldn't say for sure, but Robert Dolan, Len Warren and Tony Hannan were all dual premiership players who I doubt would have played 50 games.

Robbie West was a star at sanfl level but his career was cut tragically short in an off-field incident.

Scott Spalding was another quality premiership player who left after one season.
Loved robbie west was an absolute gun.

I was only a very young kid at the time REH, and not quite up with the footy politics of the day. ;)
My guess is Neil was made an offer by East Perth that he couldn't refuse.
Ok I knew you were young at the time, but what are your memories of why he left even it was from discussions you had with people 10 years later. 20 odd years after he left I was told by people and even the media that he had a falling out because he was dropped.

He must have been some player even if it was an offer to good too refuse. He went and played with Polly Farmer and Ted Kilmurray at East Perth and both had won a Sandover medal before he got there, and Polly then won a couple more, one was in one the two premiership seasons Hawke played at Easts.

Ok I knew you were young at the time, but what are your memories of why he left even it was from discussions you had with people 10 years later. 20 odd years after he left I was told by people and even the media that he had a falling out because he was dropped.

He must have been some player even if it was an offer to good too refuse. He went and played with Polly Farmer and Ted Kilmurray at East Perth and both had won a Sandover medal before he got there, and Polly then won a couple more, one was in one the two premiership seasons Hawke played at Easts.

I have vague recollections of family discussions that Hawke had got the hump after being dropped not long after his 15 goal performance, which probably had something to do with his reasoning behind moving to WA.

I can recall that Wally Dittmar came back to the club in the late 1950's as Rex John's understudy which may be another reason as to why Neil opted to play for West Torrens instead of Port when he came back to SA, but I can't recall how it was covered in the press at the time.

Great thread

If you can be a bit flexible on the games criteria - Ross Agius. I think he played just over 50 games. Had a cracking year in 1980. Kicked about 70 goals in just about the greatest sanfl team of all time
Nice book Ross. Met him a few times as he worked with my Mum at Actil

Adam Heuskes. Only played 2 seasons (37 games) but hugely important in Port's first year in AFL (All Australian 1997). A typical John Cahill type, an unusual character who by all accounts liked to play hard off the field, but was a wonderful team orientated, and attack minded defender in 1997.

Last edited:
Eugene Warrior. Only played 1 game but I must have seen him be BOG 20 times in the reserves when they used to show the reserves live and then the replay of the main game came on after 6pm.

Brenton Owens broke into the league team in '84. IIRC, after Tony Giles did his knee in the state game? Played in the grand final. Was a regular in '85. Then only played one more game after that.

Dexter Kennedy played bang on fiddy games. Came to Port in '83 to play in a premiership. Of course, that was the year Westies ran riot. Came so close in '84. Then was forced into premature retirement with shingles, I think.

Ray Huppatz

20xmhg.gif

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Adam Heuskes. Only played 2 seasons (37 games) but hugely important in Port's first year in AFL (All Australian 1997). A typical John Cahill type, an unusual character who by all accounts liked to play hard off the field, but was a wonderful team orientated, and attack minded defender in 1997.

Heuskes problem is he is a s**t human.

Brenton Owens broke into the league team in '84. IIRC, after Tony Giles did his knee in the state game? Played in the grand final. Was a regular in '85. Then only played one more game after that.

Dexter Kennedy played bang on fiddy games. Came to Port in '83 to play in a premiership. Of course, that was the year Westies ran riot. Came so close in '84. Then was forced into premature retirement with shingles, I think.

Ray Huppatz

20xmhg.gif
Ray Huppatz was one of the best rover/small midfielder i have seen.

Eugene Warrior. Only played 1 game but I must have seen him be BOG 20 times in the reserves when they used to show the reserves live and then the replay of the main game came on after 6pm.
He was a classy reserves plater for sure. I played Footy with Eugene at SN and he starred.

Only problem was that no one wanted to lead to him at training ‘cause he would put a huge bruise on your chest when he drilled his stab passes at you.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back