Remove this Banner Ad

Feb 4, 2001
East Burwood
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Arsenal
I have two favourites.
Ian Craig and Wayne Wilson, do not like Bryan Martyn never have, it has nothing to do with him being a collingwood fan either although that doesn`t help. Much prefer Greg Miles in Melbourne. Interesting to see that Ron Papps still gets the occassional gig, thought the days of pappslotto were long gone.
Love some of Ian Craigs lines...."and the leader makes play" he is a gun caller. Stuie shenton in W.A was good as well until he was put inside for being a naughty boy.

Bryan Martin is probably the greatest ever in terms of accuracy and knowlegability ... and I didn't actually know that he barracks for Collingwood, but now that I do, that's another point in his favour.

Ian Craig has got a magnificent voice ... a bit like Dennis Cometti (who I've always thought would make a great race-caller if he ever took it up)

Paul Ambrosoli is the best greyhound race-caller in the world. An absolute genius.

Going back a bit, Johnny Tapp always managed to produce a colourful turn of phrase, as did the late Bert Bryant. Ken Howard was a great showman, but pretty hopeless in terms of giving an accurate description. He had a way of making every race sound exciting even when it wasn't.

The Sydney trots had a caller in the 1960s and 1970s who was legendary for his machine-gun monotone (Ray Conroy).

There's a New Zealand trots caller (don't know his name) who seems to almost "sing" his race-calls.

A few years ago, when the Interdominion was in Adelaide, they had a guest caller from America. American race-callers are probably the worst in the world, but this guy was a scream. He was calling a race in which there was a runner called "The Messiah". His classic line was ... "The Messiah is nailed to the rail." I was at The Valley watching this on the TV screen. The whole betting ring was in stitches.

Bill Collins, of course, was in a class of his own. It's kind of funny that the call he is best remembered for was his most famous stuff-up ... "Kingston Town can't win" ... but he was rarely wrong. The fact that Kingston Town DID actually win proved more about the horse's greatness than any weakness in the caller's judgement.

For some reason, S.A. has always produced abysmal race-callers. Ron Papps was hideous. How the hell he held down the top race-callers spot on Adelaide radio for so long is beyond me. Then there is the Terry McAulliffe/Bruce McAvaney school of race-callers ... puke ... puke. Going back to the 1960s and 1970s, Bert Day and John O'Neill were a constant embarrasment, Len Sweeney was (literally) a clown ... Chester the Jester to be exact ... and Alf Gard was always so drunk you wonder how he ever saw anything through his binoculars.

best metropolitan caller going around now is bryan martin, you can almost always trust that if he hasnt called your fancy with 200 to go that youve done your doe.

ian craig on the other hand drives me f'ckn nuts to the point that if i have a bet in sydney (which is very rare, talking doncaster/epsom & a few other decent handicaps only) i must have something reasonably close to me to kick as the bloke has called me into 4th place more times than i care to remember, prick, very ordinary caller to boot.

theres a victorian provincial caller whos ok, never get his name though.

Originally posted by windyhill
Special mention to Joe Brown, along with Bill Collins, two legends of their craft.

JOE BROWN: I don't think she's got him ... I think Ziema may just have beaten Light Fingers.

BILL COLLINS: (same race) DEAD HEAT ! DEAD HEAT in the Cup !

ACTUAL RESULT:

1st Light Fingers
2nd Ziema

Ah, yes ... Even the best get it wrong sometimes. I, too, liked Joe Brown. There was something warm and comfortable about his style. Very ABC.

Originally posted by AlfAndrews

Bryan Martin is probably the greatest ever in terms of accuracy and knowlegability

Collins was the best. They didn't call him the accurate one for no reason. He even called the triple dead heat at Flemington correctly.

martin is the best going around now though.

Bryan Martin is probably the greatest ever in terms of accuracy and knowlegability ... and I didn't actually know that he barracks for Collingwood, but now that I do, that's another point in his favour.

Ian Craig has got a magnificent voice ... a bit like Dennis Cometti (who I've always thought would make a great race-caller if he ever took it up)

Paul Ambrosoli is the best greyhound race-caller in the world. An absolute genius.

Going back a bit, Johnny Tapp always managed to produce a colourful turn of phrase, as did the late Bert Bryant. Ken Howard was a great showman, but pretty hopeless in terms of giving an accurate description. He had a way of making every race sound exciting even when it wasn't.

The Sydney trots had a caller in the 1960s and 1970s who was legendary for his machine-gun monotone (Ray Conroy).

There's a New Zealand trots caller (don't know his name) who seems to almost "sing" his race-calls.

A few years ago, when the Interdominion was in Adelaide, they had a guest caller from America. American race-callers are probably the worst in the world, but this guy was a scream. He was calling a race in which there was a runner called "The Messiah". His classic line was ... "The Messiah is nailed to the rail." I was at The Valley watching this on the TV screen. The whole betting ring was in stitches.

Bill Collins, of course, was in a class of his own. It's kind of funny that the call he is best remembered for was his most famous stuff-up ... "Kingston Town can't win" ... but he was rarely wrong. The fact that Kingston Town DID actually win proved more about the horse's greatness than any weakness in the caller's judgement.

For some reason, S.A. has always produced abysmal race-callers. Ron Papps was hideous. How the hell he held down the top race-callers spot on Adelaide radio for so long is beyond me. Then there is the Terry McAulliffe/Bruce McAvaney school of race-callers ... puke ... puke. Going back to the 1960s and 1970s, Bert Day and John O'Neill were a constant embarrasment, Len Sweeney was (literally) a clown ... Chester the Jester to be exact ... and Alf Gard was always so drunk you wonder how he ever saw anything through his binoculars.

I just come across this thread. Very interesting.

Whilst agreeing with much of what you say, I personally thought that Bert Day was third only behind Joe Brown and Bill Collins, very dry and very accurate. Bert Day, of course, was Bill Collins offsider for many years at 3DB before coming to Adelaide to be the chief racecaller at 5AD. I don't mind Terry McAulliffe, but the rest of the Adelaide callers have always been pathetic. Jack Rowe, the old News journalist was easily the worst, even worse than Ron Papps, Alf Gard and Len "Rodney the Rabbit" Sweeney.

I have to strongly disagree here, Ambrosoli is raved over by everyone, but he has to be the most over rated, he is a joke. Can't string a sentence together to save himself, and when he says something has slipped away by 8, it's closer to 3, he makes me cringe. I rate him marginally ahead of Ron Hawkeswell, and even then only just.

Greg Miles is great, in fact he is as good as Alan Thomas is bad.

Loved growing up, attending the local trots meetings and hearing the Mooney Valley calls come through. Could have been because I backed a few winners, but I think it was Brian Markovic who called them? Don't like his racing calls, but loved his trots calls, if thats who it was.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I can't go past "Mr.Potato Head", Dan Mielicki. A genuine double threat whether it be Gallops or Harness combining accuracy and colour without going over the top.

For sheer excitement you can't go past Jimmy Jacques at the Globe Derby harness. If you don't know what I'm talking about have a listen to him tomorrow night when Smoken Up goes around in the SA Cup.:D

Craig Rail is the best trots caller we have its a shame he doesnt get more metro meetings.

Also i cant stand adam ozlanski but he came up with a beauty one liner one night at moonee valley in which he said "Crabs is itching for a run back in the field" must say i had a good laugh.

And having a mental blank but he is my favourite caller...but Darren McAuliffe or McAullay in Perth is by far the best caller we have.

Craig Rail is the best trots caller we have its a shame he doesnt get more metro meetings.

Also i cant stand adam ozlanski but he came up with a beauty one liner one night at moonee valley in which he said "Crabs is itching for a run back in the field" must say i had a good laugh.

And having a mental blank but he is my favourite caller...but Darren McAuliffe or McAullay in Perth is by far the best caller we have.
Yep took the words right out of my mouth, Darren McAullay for me is the best caller. Has a great voice for calling and adds excitement to his call.

For sheer excitement you can't go past Jimmy Jacques at the Globe Derby harness. If you don't know what I'm talking about have a listen to him tomorrow night when Smoken Up goes around in the SA Cup.:D

Hahaha GM you have hit the nail on the head there. I reckon that was a classic call and even though I was on Mister Zion I would have loved to see Smokin Up win as Jimmy Jacques would have dead set imploded with excitement.

Bryan Martin making a comeback hey...going to be interesting to see how long he calls with SEN for. Must be paying him ok, he wouldn't get out of bed for peanuts!

Bryan Martin making a comeback hey...going to be interesting to see how long he calls with SEN for. Must be paying him ok, he wouldn't get out of bed for peanuts!

Agree.

I know that 20 years ago that Brian Martin was getting a six figure sum closer to a million dollars than 500,000 dollars.

David Raphael was brilliant.

Of the current ones i think Richard Bell and Greg Miles are the best, but Colin McNiff in TAS has really grown on me recently

David Raphael was brilliant.

Of the current ones i think Richard Bell and Greg Miles are the best, but Colin McNiff in TAS has really grown on me recently

Living in Tassie, have to agree that McNiff is pretty good although has been calling for years, Matt Robinson who does the trots is bloody woeful, will call a horse outside the leader, then all of a sudden its 3 back on the pegs. Peter Gilligan was funny, called a race in Launceston 1 day and the field was going along the back straight next to the main road and he calls!! Whats this whipping around them, gee he has taken off early?? It turned out to be a bloke on a motorbike with a yellow helmet going up the main road. very funny day at the track

Remove this Banner Ad

Back