Big Bash Future

Remove this Banner Ad

If T20 didn't exist he'd likely be playing Shield against the likes of Steve Smith and Pat Cummins on a regular basis. I'd consider that more valuable then rubbing shoulders with some Afghan Players and James Vince, no disrespect to them.
Those guys would still only play a couple of matches per year. And the money that T20 brings in means that he'd probably have to go to work a few days a week.

You can mock those guys all you like but they are experienced professionals who play all around the world, playing with and against the absolute best in the world. Living in their pockets and training with them every day for a couple of months would be invaluable to a teenager, much better than trying to grab some quick conversation after a day's play.

If T20 didn't exist he'd likely be playing Shield against the likes of Steve Smith and Pat Cummins on a regular basis. I'd consider that more valuable then rubbing shoulders with some Afghan Players and James Vince, no disrespect to them.

Yeah, khan is useless..

Hobart Hurricanes v Adelaide Strikers
Seven: 899,000 (Metro 584,000 Regional 315,000)
Fox Cricket: 303,000/201,000 (1st and 2nd innings)

Another 1.1-1.2m viewers last night. Friday night footy rarely achieves these numbers.

Whilst another million people tuned out when it started…The test is the real ratings winner for 7, Big Bash however just managed to knock off ABC news, big victory there 😂😂
The Test is over with 3 days to spare. Now what?

7 would love more Test cricket to be played, especially when it's the Ashes. Problem is England are so pathetic.

Hobart Hurricanes v Adelaide Strikers
Seven: 899,000 (Metro 584,000 Regional 315,000)
Fox Cricket: 303,000/201,000 (1st and 2nd innings)

Another 1.1-1.2m viewers last night. Friday night footy rarely achieves these numbers.

The Test is over with 3 days to spare. Now what?

7 would love more Test cricket to be played, especially when it's the Ashes. Problem is England are so pathetic.
Yep.

Also, BBL guarantees cricket every night - barring the very, very occasional washout - whereas an early finish to a test will cost CA and the state associations a heap of money.

T20 is becoming abit old now tbh.

Team A whacks 150
Team B chases it

Surprisingly this year team batting first is winning majority of the games but its still the same sh*t on repeat.

IPL is excellent because its a time of the year India's best cant take part. For Big Bash to stick around and not die out I think they need to find a time of the year where Australia's best can take part. Plus the shield cricket should be on over the summer to help the Test side.

Agree with this completely.
For real drama, you want a game where the side chasing wins on the last ball or collapses dramatically.
Re the former, Cutting needed 4 to win against Zampa but it was a dot ball.
Doesn't matter. He's still living off the 2016 IPL Final :rolleyes:

100% shorten it I lost interest half way through last year and have just about hit that stage again

They need to lengthen the shield season. Anyone around the white ball set up gets barely any shield cricket in case in point Maxwell not playing shield for over 2 years …

They’ve gotten greedy with the big bash season

Too many games. Too many club cricketers. Not enough quality.
Does the average punter care about quality? (And that's not just a T20 thing, I'd say the same for the AFL.) Its not something easily measured. Yes, a certain standard is required as grounding for T20Is, but even then most in the frame for internationals will be playing higher quality in the IPL.

Then again I watch very little BBL anyway, and even less T20I, so I'm not in the best position to judge.

Does the average punter care about quality? (And that's not just a T20 thing, I'd say the same for the AFL.) Its not something easily measured. Yes, a certain standard is required as grounding for T20Is, but even then most in the frame for internationals will be playing higher quality in the IPL.

Then again I watch very little BBL anyway, and even less T20I, so I'm not in the best position to judge.
Absolutely they do.

A poor t20 game is very poor. If the 2nd innings team is chasing 170+ and are 3-10 after 3 overs then the game is basically over and the rest of the game is a boring slog for the viewer, turning over to something else is absolutely justified.

It's not necessarily quality in that you need the best of the best players, but people want quality in terms of a balanced game in excitement and contest. I think you'll find most big bash viewers don't really care for individual teams much but are just watching it because it's cricket and it's on, so it's important for the contests to be even for as long as possible.

Absolutely they do.

A poor t20 game is very poor. If the 2nd innings team is chasing 170+ and are 3-10 after 3 overs then the game is basically over and the rest of the game is a boring slog for the viewer, turning over to something else is absolutely justified.

It's not necessarily quality in that you need the best of the best players, but people want quality in terms of a balanced game in excitement and contest. I think you'll find most big bash viewers don't really care for individual teams much but are just watching it because it's cricket and it's on, so it's important for the contests to be even for as long as possible.
Games being competitive isn't the same thing as "quality" to me. I would agree that having competitive games keeps interest. I guess we're just viewing the term "quality" differently.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Too many games. Too many club cricketers. Not enough quality.
On the club cricketers thing.

Everyone has to start somewhere. Andrew Tye was basically a club cricketer - he'd only played a couple of one day games for WA - who became a world class bowler and that only happens because the Sydney Thunder needed extra players, which is itself a result of having two extra teams.

There are young players whose first games at a domestic level were BBL games, and from there they've gone into solid Shield players. It's actually a good pathway for young developing cricketers to be in this environment for a couple of months.

They're in a professional set-up, with professional cricketers from around the country and around the world, instead of going to work during the week and playing grade cricket with the same mates on the same grounds with the same coaches again.

It's a positive of the BBL, not a negative.

Channel 7 & fox are making money. Game is making money. Young demo being introduced to sport...but ppl don't like change so let's go back to old days - that's not going to happen!!

All for reducing the number of games. Makes it a more interesting competition for viewers in my opinion. At the same time, I would love if we could increase the number of shield games. Hard to play 5 more so it remains even, so maybe an expanded finals series of some variety will do. More shield cricket and sending as many blokes over to County cricket each season can only do our side a world of good.

On the club cricketers thing.

Everyone has to start somewhere. Andrew Tye was basically a club cricketer - he'd only played a couple of one day games for WA - who became a world class bowler and that only happens because the Sydney Thunder needed extra players, which is itself a result of having two extra teams.

There are young players whose first games at a domestic level were BBL games, and from there they've gone into solid Shield players. It's actually a good pathway for young developing cricketers to be in this environment for a couple of months.

They're in a professional set-up, with professional cricketers from around the country and around the world, instead of going to work during the week and playing grade cricket with the same mates on the same grounds with the same coaches again.

It's a positive of the BBL, not a negative.

Perceptions on this are skewed as well because the point of reference is the Australian Team, which is the best 11 players.

In the AFL there is much less talk about quality. Big Bash is still notionally the best 88 cricketers, minus those playing for Australia and taking in to account imports, so let’s say the best 100 cricketers in Australia give or take.

The best 100 AFL players are hyped up to within an inch of their life, yet someone in the bottom third of a BBL eleven is a ‘clubbie’. It’s a sign of the average sports fan’s bias/ skewed perception towards AFL imo.

Perceptions on this are skewed as well because the point of reference is the Australian Team, which is the best 11 players.

In the AFL there is much less talk about quality. Big Bash is still notionally the best 88 cricketers, minus those playing for Australia and taking in to account imports, so let’s say the best 100 cricketers in Australia give or take.

The best 100 AFL players are hyped up to within an inch of their life, yet someone in the bottom third of a BBL eleven is a ‘clubbie’. It’s a sign of the average sports fan’s bias/ skewed perception towards AFL imo.
Plenty of BBL players wouldn’t and don’t get a look in in FC and vice versa

1. Drastically reduce the amount of games. Whilst test cricket is on I have zero interest in BBL. Oversaturation has limited it's appeal.
2. Extend shield season up to mid December to allow budding players to push for test selection.
3. Bring back state ODIs to TV.
4. Have a minimum 4 players each team under age of 22. Allow our future stars to get themselves involved and showcase skills.

1. Drastically reduce the amount of games. Whilst test cricket is on I have zero interest in BBL. Oversaturation has limited it's appeal.
2. Extend shield season up to mid December to allow budding players to push for test selection.
3. Bring back state ODIs to TV.
4. Have a minimum 4 players each team under age of 22. Allow our future stars to get themselves involved and showcase skills.
1. Its a problem, at least for those who consider traditional cricket to be a lot more important. Christmas and January is really when Tests should be played, to maximise when people have days off to watch a daytime game. Its also when school holidays are, so when kids can watch the BBL later at night. It leaves Australia (and NZ and SA) in a position where the domestic T20s have to be played alongside the important stuff. Or, administrators bite the bullet and accept less money for the T20 stuff.

2. I'd like to see the Shield played almost entirely throughout home test series, but as above that can't happen. ideally, internationals would be available at the end of the summer before away Tests so there is form to pick touring squads from. Again, with the calendar as packed as it is, never going to happen. There will always be another series; red or white ball, home or away; toward the end of the summer taking international players away from the Shield.

3. Ten did offer this, even the Shield final. I think its over though. The franchises are the known brands now, and its hard to see the bulk of the public having two domestic sides they follow.

4. If they're good enough they'll get picked as is. There are more league teams than state teams, so more chances to get a contract. (Itself a concern, as it could see some focus on T20 as the more lucrative career path).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back