Big Bash Future

BStaff17

Premiership Player
Aug 1, 2016
Sydney
AFL Club
Fremantle
This hasn't always mattered to CA. In the 2010's, there were two Sydney tests starting on a Sunday (2010 & 2016), one on a Monday (2011) and three on a Tuesday (2012, 2015* & 2017).

* the 2015 started on January 6 as opposed to January 3 which was the normal start date for Sydney tests in 2010's.

2015 was changed to due Phil Hughes passing away and test schedule had to reworked in last minute.

They has to squeeze the postponed brisbane test a week before christmas. So they pushed the Sydney test back a few days for extra rest for players as they practically played 3 tests in 21 days.

hamohawk1

Premiership Player
Feb 18, 2011
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Is it just me or one of the main issues as well seems that the 'stars' (maxwell, finch, lynn) seem to be more cold than hot as each season comes around. Its one thing having the top tier players playing, its another having them in form.

Voice of the G

Premiership Player
Jan 18, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney
Is it just me or one of the main issues as well seems that the 'stars' (maxwell, finch, lynn) seem to be more cold than hot as each season comes around. Its one thing having the top tier players playing, its another having them in form.

Perhaps Maxwell and Finch in particular need a break from this type of game as they have been going since the T20 world cup.Perhaps some red ball cricket even if at club level will re charge their batteries.

Last edited:

corbies

Jul 31, 2010
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
S'roos, New Jets, Cronulla
I'm not advocating one way or another regarding this, but I was speaking to a lady friend of mine who has a 9yo son. She got a cricket team in his age group together and is their manager.

She said they play 20/20 matches, 10 a side.

Each pair bats four overs. If they are dismissed, they still stay at the wicket but lose four runs.

Each player bowls 2 overs.

So every kids gets a go and means that no kids are turned off the game by not getting a bat or bowl.

Kinda like a 20/20 version of indoor cricket I guess.
I played u10s cricket in the early 2000s and this was the format even back then (although I think we may have played 25 overs).

corbies

Jul 31, 2010
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
S'roos, New Jets, Cronulla
Last night proved beyond doubt that this is all about television. Making the Stars put out a third XI rather than postponing the game undermined the integrity of the competition but doubtlessly CA will point to the ratings as evidence of it's success.
CA have openly said they only judge the BBL by its ability to create new fans (i.e. crowds, ratings and $$$$).

big_e

Existential crisis management consultant
Apr 28, 2008
Back Pocket
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Wycombe Wanderers
I played u10s cricket in the early 2000s and this was the format even back then (although I think we may have played 25 overs).
Same, but I played under 10s in the mid 80s. We even rotated around the field so everyone got a go in all positions, including keeping wicket for an over.

Stopped watching a few years ago. They need to cut a few of the teams and go back to a seven game season. One team each in Melbourne and Sydney. Stops diluting the talent pool.

Disappointing the younger Australian players haven’t kicked on and it’s still the old folk at the top.

Hopefully Mcdermott, Phillipe and Inglis come good.
I'm the same. I do watch a bit of it, but nowhere near as keen as I used to be. Shorten the comp, move it a NYE start and if possible don't play every night.

eltrain

Club Legend
Dec 22, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
MVFC, Everton, Red Sox, Bruins
Will be interesting to see how the BBL ratings hold up when the tennis gets serious. For the past few weeks the BBL has benefited from being the only game in town which has inflated the viewing figures for some pretty ordinary content.

Last edited:
Jul 12, 2004
Junktion Oval
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
England
Last night proved beyond doubt that this is all about television. Making the Stars put out a third XI rather than postponing the game undermined the integrity of the competition but doubtlessly CA will point to the ratings as evidence of it's success.

The clubs are also to blame for refusing to cooperate. Last week they tried to get Perth to change Their fixture and they refused.

Moving everyone to Melbourne would solve the issue, but not before screwing the Stars. A perfect result for CA.

Oct 6, 2011
Auckland, New Zealand
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Patriots, Golden State, Wildcats
Make that 12 players+ 1 coach

1641359967407.png

Tyberious Funk

Premiership Player
May 13, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
West Coast
I'm a cricket purist who favours Test matches, but I still watch a little bit of the Big Bash. But I struggle to see the long-term benefit of the format.

1. The start time for most games is right in the middle of dinner time and/or when I'm getting the kid to bed, so more often than not I'm watching games mid-way through the start. I don't know about others, but I'm not changing my lifestyle to watch BBL games... they just aren't that compelling.

2. The games typically go until 10:30pm... which is fine by me, but obviously doesn't suit most kids.

In other words, I'm not sure how good it is at getting young kids hooked on cricket. The fact that it's only available on Foxtel/Kayo probably doesn't help either.

By contrast, when I was growing up, Test matches (and subsequently one-dayers) were on during the day, all through summer. Our TV was pretty much always tuned to the cricket... always. It was on in the background, so you couldn't help but absorb it. I started out hating cricket, because it dislodged my favourite kids shows. But by the time I was around 8-9, I'd grown to love it. And watching the occasional day-nighter was a special event that usually involved take-away dinner and the entire family sitting together.

I just can't see how the BBL creates enduring cricket fans.

Oct 6, 2011
Auckland, New Zealand
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Patriots, Golden State, Wildcats
I'm a cricket purist who favours Test matches, but I still watch a little bit of the Big Bash. But I struggle to see the long-term benefit of the format.

1. The start time for most games is right in the middle of dinner time and/or when I'm getting the kid to bed, so more often than not I'm watching games mid-way through the start. I don't know about others, but I'm not changing my lifestyle to watch BBL games... they just aren't that compelling.

2. The games typically go until 10:30pm... which is fine by me, but obviously doesn't suit most kids.

In other words, I'm not sure how good it is at getting young kids hooked on cricket. The fact that it's only available on Foxtel/Kayo probably doesn't help either.

By contrast, when I was growing up, Test matches (and subsequently one-dayers) were on during the day, all through summer. Our TV was pretty much always tuned to the cricket... always. It was on in the background, so you couldn't help but absorb it. I started out hating cricket, because it dislodged my favourite kids shows. But by the time I was around 8-9, I'd grown to love it. And watching the occasional day-nighter was a special event that usually involved take-away dinner and the entire family sitting together.

I honestly believe the BBL appeals to a global market not the local market.

As much as I hate to say it, its to appease the world markets from the : UK, India, South Asian countries, African countries, and Europe. Im a punter but the betting amounts on this league is insane.

big_e

Existential crisis management consultant
Apr 28, 2008
Back Pocket
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Wycombe Wanderers

The legions of kids in the crowds wearing the merch suggests kids are into it. Scorchers gear is probably second only to Eagles gear that I see when I am around.

The other thing is that it is only one part of the strategy - whenever there are junior cricket clinics at our school, it is always from people in Scorchers gear. Just to reinforce the message.

Then put that together with the Woolworths Cricket Blast, again it all reinforces the link between the BBL and the kid's introduction to playing the game. They get down there and try to smash the thing, like they have seen in the BBL. Just get them enjoying the game, and then teach them how to shoulder arms later. As much as I love test cricket, my kids are asking me to turn it over after one maiden over. (Still a bit young to get the nuances.)

As for the times, it's no coincidence that it's on at the same time as the school holidays. I know my family has done the same thing as yours (takeaway and the entire family sitting together) to watch the Scorchers many times.

jpmelb7

Debutant
Jun 22, 2016
AFL Club
North Melbourne
There is not going to be a reduction in the number of games being played due to TV rights/advertising dollars. What I would do is have each teams home games split between their main home ground in the City (4 games) & regional/smaller venues (3 games) As an example:

Adelaide Strikers 4 games Adelaide Oval, 1 game Glenelg, 1 game Whyalla, 1 game Port Lincoln
Brisbane Heat 4 games Gabba, 2 games GC, 1 game Cairns
Melbourne Stars 4 games at MCG, 3 games in the East - 1 game Junction Oval, 1 game Casey Fields, 1 game Traralgon
Melbourne Renegades 4 games at Marvel, 3 games in the West - 2 games at Geelong, 1 in Ballarat
Sydney Sixers 4 games SCG, 3 games along the Coast such as Newcastle, Coffs Harbour
Sydney Thunder 3 games Giants Stadium, 3 games Canberra, 1 game Blacktown
Hobart Hurricanes 4 games Hobart, 3 games Launceston
Perth Scorchers 4 games at Perth Stadium, 2 games at WACA, 1 game Mandurah

Ideally the games in Capital Cities would be played one a week over four consecutive weekends Fri/Sat/Sun so fans know there is a game each weekend to attend. The regional/smaller venue games early to midweek.

The irony of this proposal is that Cricket Australia did away with State based teams (which is still my main preference) which under this proposal BBL teams return to de-facto State teams garnering support state wide.

Back