Autopsy Big brother hammers little brother

Remove this Banner Ad

Explain why no GWS players have ever been traded to Sydney. I am pretty sure the AFL wanted a second team in Sydney to counterbalance the Swan‘s power and influence.

The same mentality that determined we “can’t have everyone”.
We just don't want them... only person on that list I'd take is Sam Taylor

Prefer Sam Taylor, Griffen goes okay... but I reckon Sam has a higher ceiling
As a defender maybe. But as a swingman I think Logue's shown a heap of potential, and our current swingman Reid (even though he's not really swinging much further back than the centre bounces) is not getting any younger...

Wouldn't complain if we had either on our list!

Missed most of the first half with other commitments, but always a good feeling to beat this mob. We're going pretty well at the moment.

I stayed on for the whole ressies game and thought both McLean and McDonald had better games than Amartey.
I would rotate Amartey out and give one of them a run against North, probably McLean. His stats were a little lower than Logan's but he was very solid and took a number of gooj marks. Plus he can be third ruck where Logan can't. He kicked 3.0 to Logan's 0.3.
I don't think Amartey contributes enough for finals.
I though Amarty was ok defensively and brought the ball to ground a fair bit yesterday. Not flashy but his role tends to fit with what we are doing at present.

We often take the time to hammer the umps but I reckon yesterday's crew deserve a pat on the back. Nothing too blatant that I saw got missed and where we got pinged I had to say fair enough.
They also had to adjudicate two incidents under the new head high edicts, both potentially against us.
In one the GWS player burrowed and they called play on ✅
In the other the GWS player dropped and was caught on the neck. TBH I thought a free was warranted but I could see how tricky it was to adjudicate on the run.
Another thing was that they blew up the rucks pretty quickly, which is good.
Perhaps relevant, I didn't recognise any of the umps.
Umps were biased towards Syd. They missed a tonne of GWS frees.

Braydon Preuss, GWS GIANTS, has been charged with Rough Conduct against James Rowbottom, Sydney Swans, during the first quarter of the Round 20 match between the Sydney Swans and GWS GIANTS played at the SCG on Saturday, 30 July 2022.

In summary, the player can accept a $2000 sanction with an early plea.

Based on the available evidence, the incident was assessed as Intentional Conduct, Low Impact, Body Contact. The incident was classified as a $3000 sanction as a first offence. The player can accept a $2000 sanction with an early plea.
Dane Rampe, Sydney Swans, has been charged with Rough Conduct (Dangerous Tackle) against Tim Taranto, GWS GIANTS, during the third quarter of the Round 20 match between the Sydney Swans and GWS GIANTS played at the SCG on Saturday, 30 July 2022.

In summary, the player can accept a $2000 sanction with an early plea.

Based on the available evidence, the incident was assessed as Careless Conduct, Low Impact, High Contact. The incident was classified as a $3000 sanction as a first offence. The player can accept a $2000 sanction with an early plea.

I though Amarty was ok defensively and brought the ball to ground a fair bit yesterday. Not flashy but his role tends to fit with what we are doing at present.
I tended to see more in Armatey than McLean - although I was a bit surprised at his lack of speed yesterday.

I’d kinda thought of him as a very athletic type. Now I’m not quite so sure.

Possibly Logan for Amartey; Joel was the one weak-ish link today. Would be nice to give Logan one more chance before September.
Logan nowhere near as physical as he needs to be. Amartey at least makes a contest when he knows he's not in a position to mark it. Logan flat gives up.
Needs to come back bigger, meaner (if that is ever going to be in him) and stronger before playing seniors IMHO. Injury cover for Buddy atm.

Gee our plalyers were getting nothing but love from the 7 commentary team.
Twilight Zone stuff.

I guess it would've been different if they'd had a Victorian audience to kow-tow to?

i'd imagine one of the worst things for the vic footy media is that they would be struggling to comprehend the fact we're not the dour defensive stoppage-based flooding team (that we stopped being some years ago), but are now the most exhilarating, dangerous attacking team in the competition
a lot of them are no doubt sweating on some vic team stopping us going all the way but they'll ride the bandwagon for now
david king is an example ... he's taken to really talking us up in recent weeks but i don't think he likes it and, as he did early on saturday, was looking to the giants to stand up to us

Logan nowhere near as physical as he needs to be. Amartey at least makes a contest when he knows he's not in a position to mark it. Logan flat gives up.
Needs to come back bigger, meaner (if that is ever going to be in him) and stronger before playing seniors IMHO. Injury cover for Buddy atm.
It will be interesting to see if Logan develops a bit of mongrel, which is something I think you usually have in you if you don’t. I remember some of the Swans thought Goodes was too nice when he first started but he clearly found more than a few roles to match his strengths.

Logan might be an interesting who invents a new form of centre half forward to match his strengths. He seems to have three things by a going for him: good mark, good at roving / loose play off the ground, and good field kick. Maybe he becomes a roaming forward that plays high up the ground with McLean playing the rock at FF and Amartey/Ladhams as second key forward?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It will be interesting to see if Logan develops a bit of mongrel, which is something I think you usually have in you if you don’t. I remember some of the Swans thought Goodes was too nice when he first started but he clearly found more than a few roles to match his strengths.

Logan might be an interesting who invents a new form of centre half forward to match his strengths. He seems to have three things by a going for him: good mark, good at roving / loose play off the ground, and good field kick. Maybe he becomes a roaming forward that plays high up the ground with McLean playing the rock at FF and Amartey/Ladhams as second key forward?

He was plenty physical in the Carlton game just needs a solid go at it like Stephens.

Saw him put on a couple of tackles on Sat night that might get you to rethink your mongrel assessment. He put himself about just fine. Just didn't kick straight. He and McLean both had decent games. Not outstanding but decent.
Your structure is exactly what I've been saying for some time:
FF McLean
CHF McDonald
3rd Tall/Cut Out Amartey
Ruck Ladhams
Once Bud and Hick are gone or injured.

Better than Essendon game.
Cheers for all the responses. Had to watch replay.

Makes you wonder that game against Bombers, really how did we lose it?

Gulden brilliant, Reidy at the moment I like, best he has been for some time. Parks as always leads the way.

Our young brigade are getting more confidence week in week out.

Yes we have North, but let's keep the momentum going, no brakes.

Easy. We copped them just as they started to realise on the potential we’d all been told they had at the start of the year.

Starting with us, they’ve won four of their last five games, including Brisbane, and the one loss was to Collingwood by four points.

They are a good team now and we all know there are no gimmes in modern football. Time to stop beating ourselves up over that loss.

Easy. We copped them just as they started to realise on the potential we’d all been told they had at the start of the year.

Starting with us, they’ve won four of their last five games, including Brisbane, and the one loss was to Collingwood by four points.

They are a good team now and we all know there are no gimmes in modern football. Time to stop beating ourselves up over that loss.

hmmm, the calm, reasoned approach, you say? ...

Cheers for all the responses. Had to watch replay.

Gulden brilliant, Reidy at the moment I like, best he has been for some time. Parks as always leads the way.

Our young brigade are getting more confidence week in week out.

Yes we have North, but let's keep the momentum going, no brakes.
That loss against Essendon has sparked an almighty look in the mirror. And what did they see? Top 4. And they are single mindedly pushing for it. It was the best thing that could have happened at that time. It brought focus. Thank you Essendon for turning up.

I also think they were really psyched up for our game, we embarrassed them the first time and Parks really rubbed it in their faces - not that I blame him at all.
And in the end it was their insanely accurate kicking that was the difference.

Finally got a chance to give my two cents after a huge weekend away in Sydney.

Just a really solid, "get the job done" performance from our boys. We've towelled up a few teams now and perhaps is a small indicator of how we missed the 4 last year on %. The boys know it matters and could well and truly be a reason why we make the top 4 this season.

Probably one of Sam Reids best games for us. Really happy with his tap work and his on ball work. Thought Papley was good again. Still feel like he's building to a huge september. Gulden was fantastic. Just all round great effort. Amartey was quiet yep but I'd probably stick with the same side.

For those playing at home I've joined the admin team of the big Sydney Swans facebook group so say gday.

Also how good is Una's!!

Logan has mongrel. He's a great tackler and chaser for a young big man. Probably because until his draft year growth spurt he was a midfielder.

He's not very strong yet, but that will come. He needs to improve his goal kicking and his endurance. But I definitely see him as the mobile, roaming CHF type eventually. Nick Riewoldt style. Won't necessarily be winning Colemans but providing a reliable avenue to goal.

Agree with you, it has been a loss that seems to have helped the team re-focus and learn. The pressure has not dropped for the last 4 weeks, this is the new standard and hopefully will drive us to the flag!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back