Autopsy Big brother hammers little brother

Remove this Banner Ad

Good team win, but let's face it, against an insipid opposition.

Cue in the rack, most of the Giants. They got a bake from their coach afterwards, and deserved it.

No coach, small crowds, they're in a world of hurt right now.

The commentary? Dermie :rolleyes: ..even his co -commentators seemed exasperated

Why was King saying that free kick to Franklin wasn't there? And Franklin was the one holding Taylor. He was actually giggling like it was some old pro's trick of pretending to be held when he was the one doing the holding.

It seemed clear on the replay that Taylor had hold of his arm and Franklin wasn't holding.

Good team win, but let's face it, against an insipid opposition.

Cue in the rack, most of the Giants. They got a bake from their coach afterwards, and deserved it.

No coach, small crowds, they're in a world of hurt right now.

The commentary? Dermie :rolleyes: ..even his co -commentators seemed exasperated
I was surprised he included Whitfield on his list of players who haven't checked out.

He just floats around the half back line having no impact on the game. Probably on around 900k as well.

Personally I think the umpiring has improved since the new head high adjudication. Seems to be less bulls*#*t frees and more allowing the game to flow.
But there were two arm chopping frees given, one to each side, which gladdened my heart because it remains a blight where the defender has no intent to either mark or spoil. Arm shoots out as if to spoil, then drops down onto one of the intending marker's arms. Great to see it paid.

Why was King saying that free kick to Franklin wasn't there? And Franklin was the one holding Taylor. He was actually giggling like it was some old pro's trick of pretending to be held when he was the one doing the holding.

It seemed clear on the replay that Taylor had hold of his arm and Franklin wasn't holding.
The other commentator got it right.
Buddy got slightly in front and got his arm across in front of Taylor. No holding involved. Taylor grabbed the arm. Bingo! Gone! Smart play earnt the free. If he doesn't grab the arm Buddy marks. Catch 22.

Great win.

Only query is whether it was against witches hats.

Rowbottom’s best game for the year. Just loved watching him harass and tackle anything that moved.
Rowbottom awesome workrate. Took several hits as well. Umpires helped us along the way. Numerous non calls that should have gone Giants’ way, which helped us go line ball with Brissie on %.

Paddy was almost faultless too.

Three wins to go and top four guaranteed. Pies and Saints could be a real challenge. Exciting end to the season. Go Bloods!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

McInerney is down on his best, but he's still definitely best 22. Really important cog in our backline.

At his best he's a top 5 player for us. Right now he's probably 10-15th. The difference is jarring, yes, and you could MAYBE argue for a stint in the reserves just to get his form back, but we would be a weaker team in the short term for doing it so I'd only do it if we felt we had a top 4 position secured. Which isn't going to happen except for maybe Rd 23 depending on results.
He’ll come good. Papley has come good and I think there is more upside as we approach finals.

Personally I think the umpiring has improved since the new head high adjudication. Seems to be less bulls*#*t frees and more allowing the game to flow.
I agree. But the Vic media are going to get the rule changed back.

It was clear that if you dropped your knees to draw a high tackle, it would be play on. Ginnivan has kept doing it anyway and now they are painting him as a victim.

Last edited:
I wanted to like GWS and was hoping they would become my second team. The trouble is, they acted like complete Pr*#@ks from day 1 and I lost any respect at all for them.
I said at the time they were being set up that they’d never get a moment of my time or a penny of my money. If they had played their cards right they’d be the biggest threat to the Swans long term and there’s still a risk of that happening.

You’re correct that they acted like complete pr*cks from day 1 and that was a very deliberate decision on their part - I know someone who was close to their administration at the time and they thought that was the best way to quickly create a ‘rivalry’ (plus one or two of them had a real chip on their shoulder about the Swans). That approach was endorsed by the AFL.

Getting flogged in the 2019 was the beginning of the end for GWS. That was their narrow window to potentially set the club up for the long-term. Their list may have stayed together for the potential of future success and they would've consolidated and grown their supporter base. Instead, they were embarrassed on the big stage, with their list subsequently picked apart by the Melbourne clubs. Judging by their crowds, the true extent of their supporter base would appear to be tiny. I doubt they have much traction in "Greater Western Sydney" at all. With 4 underperforming players swallowing up 4 million of their cap for the foreseeable future, no coach and no end in sight of the revolving door of players leaving, I just don't see any relief for the Giants...........
Clubs are made in the hard times. To get through this next period, they will need to develop character and culture. They will be better for it and they will know that they will have earned the success they achieve. I wish them the best, and I hope our games turn into a real rivalry.

They have to become a real club first, and good on the ones who joined them early and are sticking with them. I don’t think we should belittle the few real supporters they have, Sydney had abysmal crowds for some time and those supporters made us who we are now today.

We should of course seek to dominate them on and off the field and give them no quarter - and if they have the nucleolus of a real club they will expect no different and relish the challenge.

NOT KIAMA.
Oh. It's OK, I'll be dead by then.
The Sth Coast population is too small and strung out to support an AFL team. Only 200,000 people from the edge of the Gong to the border, including Queanbeyan! Not a chance.
Canberra used to have good presence in the NEAFL but dropped right away.
GWS territory now.
Problem is like Tasmania, is there enough money to make it work?
Lol! Let's hope not...

No, but I think long term we'll have either three of four just on the population base.

Currently Victoria has: Richmond, Hawthorn, Collingwood, Geelong, Carlton, St Kilda, Western Bulldogs and North Melbourne, which is 3-4 too many. The first four/five are the ones they'll keep, the rest will need to either move or merge with the others. One will go to Tas, one to NT, and one to Canberra/Sthn NSW. This will free up the talent pool. No club is interested in seeing the number of teams in the comp increase and reducing the talent pool, the AFL wants to even out the competition... this is the best way to do it imo.

This is how I see the 18 clubs long term:

Melbourne - 5 clubs (Richmond, Hawthorn, Collingwood, Geelong, Carlton)

Sydney (NSW) - 4 clubs (Sydney, GWS, Canberra Bulldogs, and a fourth in the north somewhere)

Qld - 2 clubs

SA - 2 clubs

WA - 2 clubs

Tas - 1 club (Tasmanian Roos)

NT - 1 club (Northern Saints?)

Yes, that's exactly right. We have set the blue print for how to do, and the AFL will use it in the future... Only way to make it a truly national game.

I'm not saying I like it, or even want it... just how I see it happening. Just my thoughts...
I like this thinking.

The exact locations and team movements may look different (eg. NT side May need a different name to the ‘Saints’) but I like the consolidation at a national level, and if the teams that move that keep their roots like SMFC then that can help keep some of the tradition.

If I could take my pick I'd have Buddy's defender. Sam Taylor? Does it all without being a thug. A wonderful addition to the McCartin family.
And still only 23? Every day of the week I'd take him, fit right into our demographic!

Wouldn't take anyone else though...

And still only 23? Every day of the week I'd take him, fit right into our demographic!

Agreed.

Results indicate that GWS is full of overpaid downhill skiers through the mids.

Sam Taylor, however, is probably the no.1 KPD in the comp right now & if GWS did need a salary dump to afford Coniglio, Kelly, Greene and Whitfield’s long-term mega $ deals they’ve lumbered themselves with, he’s the bloke you’d want.

Oh, and he’s another West Aussie. We tend to go alright recruiting Sandgropers.

Last edited:

Griffen Louge? Could be squeezed out due to Freo chasing Jackson. Wanted him that draft year and would be gettable at a reasonable price

Remove this Banner Ad

Back