Autopsy Big brother hammers little brother

Remove this Banner Ad

If their players seemed to care, I’d almost feel bad.

The worst part is it’s a feeder club for big Victorian teams when they need to top up. At the moment, these two expansion clubs are a fail. Both the Giants and the Suns.

They’ve been around for a decade and while the Giants have definitely threatened, they’ve still underperformed given the picks they’ve had and the opportunities. The Suns haven’t played a final and honestly they don’t look like playing one.

I can’t see a way for both of these teams to succeed. It’s not natural. The Swans at least have a history under a different name but it’s the same club.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Despite their lack of onfield success, I can still see a better chance of GC surviving than GWS. The Gold Coast is more of a distinctive identity from Brisbane than Western Sydney (let alone “Greater” Western Sydney) is from Sydney.

And my point is that Sydney already has a very successful, real footy club.

And yet people want a 3rd team in Sydney? its absurd.

Regarding GWS they will get there eventually might take a few decades but the AFL is there to help guarantee you much more help than what we got in our first 10 years
Took us roughly 20 years... GWS should do it in about 15 imo.

They'll be starting a third team by 2030 imo and it'll be in the south I reckon, down around the Gong or Kiama... that areas been booming for quite a while now.

They'll be starting a third team by 2030 imo and it'll be in the south I reckon, down around the Gong or Kiama... that areas been booming for quite a while now.
Maybe AFL needs about half a dozen NSW teams for them all to survive. Maybe they've been thinking too small.

What a great Battle of the Bridge that was!
The only bridge any where is Sydney referred to as 'The Bridge' is the 'Sydney Harbour Bridge'.

There was no Battle of the Bridge! It's our Bridge! Right in the middle of our heartland! Not even close to their territory...

Only moronic Melbournite commentators refer to it as the battle of the bridge... just another example of them not knowing what they are talking about and not bothering to do their research.

It's the Derby, or the Sydney Derby...

*Sorry rant over... get's my knickers in twist!

Getting flogged in the 2019 was the beginning of the end for GWS. That was their narrow window to potentially set the club up for the long-term. Their list may have stayed together for the potential of future success and they would've consolidated and grown their supporter base. Instead, they were embarrassed on the big stage, with their list subsequently picked apart by the Melbourne clubs. Judging by their crowds, the true extent of their supporter base would appear to be tiny. I doubt they have much traction in "Greater Western Sydney" at all. With 4 underperforming players swallowing up 4 million of their cap for the foreseeable future, no coach and no end in sight of the revolving door of players leaving, I just don't see any relief for the Giants...........

Maybe AFL needs about half a dozen NSW teams for them all to survive. Maybe they've been thinking too small.
No, but I think long term we'll have either three of four just on the population base.

Currently Victoria has: Richmond, Hawthorn, Collingwood, Geelong, Carlton, St Kilda, Western Bulldogs and North Melbourne, which is 3-4 too many. The first four/five are the ones they'll keep, the rest will need to either move or merge with the others. One will go to Tas, one to NT, and one to Canberra/Sthn NSW. This will free up the talent pool. No club is interested in seeing the number of teams in the comp increase and reducing the talent pool, the AFL wants to even out the competition... this is the best way to do it imo.

This is how I see the 18 clubs long term:

Melbourne - 5 clubs (Richmond, Hawthorn, Collingwood, Geelong, Carlton)

Sydney (NSW) - 4 clubs (Sydney, GWS, Canberra Bulldogs, and a fourth in the north somewhere)

Qld - 2 clubs

SA - 2 clubs

WA - 2 clubs

Tas - 1 club (Tasmanian Roos)

NT - 1 club (Northern Saints?)
But we weren't starting from scratch. We were new to Sydney but we were a club, with a hundred year history.
Yes, that's exactly right. We have set the blue print for how to do, and the AFL will use it in the future... Only way to make it a truly national game.

I'm not saying I like it, or even want it... just how I see it happening. Just my thoughts...

Getting flogged in the 2019 was the beginning of the end for GWS. That was their narrow window to potentially set the club up for the long-term. Their list may have stayed together for the potential of future success and they would've consolidated and grown their supporter base. Instead, they were embarrassed on the big stage, with their list subsequently picked apart by the Melbourne clubs. Judging by their crowds, the true extent of their supporter base would appear to be tiny. I doubt they have much traction in "Greater Western Sydney" at all. With 4 underperforming players swallowing up 4 million of their cap for the foreseeable future, no coach and no end in sight of the revolving door of players leaving, I just don't see any relief for the Giants...........
They'll make it imo... They are having a rough trot, but so did we... remember our 80s and 90s, and our 72 year drought!

This is what I think too. I was barracking for them in the GF, and an hourable defeat would have been the ideal outcome for them, but that was utterly dismal and I don't know how they can recover. That diabolical result would have lost them a whole heap of recent fans, and a whole heap of potential fans.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I said many times over the last few years that the combination of players was coming together, they just had to decide that it was their time. What I probably missed was how important the coaches were.

It seems clear that this team has talent AND the strategy to go far into September. I am a believer …
Fully agree with your comment "...how important the coaches were."
Best crew in a long time who seem to work really well together. Cox and Pyke with the high view allowing Horse to work his magic on the bench. Macca a huge upgrade on Stevie J as the forwards coach. For evidence see yesterday's game. Backs getting better and better. Mids really starting to gel.
Coming together nicely.

Fully agree with your comment "...how important the coaches were."
Best crew in a long time who seem to work really well together. Cox and Pyke with the high view allowing Horse to work his magic on the bench. Macca a huge upgrade on Stevie J as the forwards coach. For evidence see yesterday's game. Backs getting better and better. Mids really starting to gel.
Coming together nicely.
I always had my doubts a maverick like Stevie J would be good coaching material.

NOT KIAMA.
Oh. It's OK, I'll be dead by then.
The Sth Coast population is too small and strung out to support an AFL team. Only 200,000 people from the edge of the Gong to the border, including Queanbeyan! Not a chance.
Canberra used to have good presence in the NEAFL but dropped right away.
GWS territory now.
Problem is like Tasmania, is there enough money to make it work?

Not sure what to take from the game, GWS mentally checked out weeks ago and have been witches hats ever since , however Sydney put together a four quarter performance and comfortably dispatched a lower ranked team. We will see vs Norff if Sydney have learnt anything from their previous match up, about the mindset required against the lower ranked teams.
Parker picked up the BoG but for mine Gulden was BoG, 33 disposal 2 goals and just short of 700m gained, a brilliant outing from Errol.

We often take the time to hammer the umps but I reckon yesterday's crew deserve a pat on the back. Nothing too blatant that I saw got missed and where we got pinged I had to say fair enough.
They also had to adjudicate two incidents under the new head high edicts, both potentially against us.
In one the GWS player burrowed and they called play on ✅
In the other the GWS player dropped and was caught on the neck. TBH I thought a free was warranted but I could see how tricky it was to adjudicate on the run.
Another thing was that they blew up the rucks pretty quickly, which is good.
Perhaps relevant, I didn't recognise any of the umps.

We often take the time to hammer the umps but I reckon yesterday's crew deserve a pat on the back. Nothing too blatant that I saw got missed and where we got pinged I had to say fair enough.
They also had to adjudicate two incidents under the new head high edicts, both potentially against us.
In one the GWS player burrowed and they called play on ✅
In the other the GWS player dropped and was caught on the neck. TBH I thought a free was warranted but I could see how tricky it was to adjudicate on the run.
Another thing was that they blew up the rucks pretty quickly, which is good.
Perhaps relevant, I didn't recognise any of the umps.
Personally I think the umpiring has improved since the new head high adjudication. Seems to be less bulls*#*t frees and more allowing the game to flow.

Despite their lack of onfield success, I can still see a better chance of GC surviving than GWS. The Gold Coast is more of a distinctive identity from Brisbane than Western Sydney (let alone “Greater” Western Sydney) is from Sydney.

And my point is that Sydney already has a very successful, real footy club.
I will say till the day I die they put it in the wrong place, should have been between the Central Coast and Newcastle.
When the talk of a second Sydney club came up, the Central Coast had just been denied a rugby league licence and they were furious, I believe they would have embraced their own AFL team big time.
Both Newcastle and the CC had very strong leagues so they would have had, at the very least, a local supporter base.
But we weren't starting from scratch. We were new to Sydney but we were a club, with a hundred year history.
With a very loyal and passionate albeit heartbroken supporter base.

Personally I think the umpiring has improved since the new head high adjudication. Seems to be less bulls*#*t frees and more allowing the game to flow.
Yes I wanted to comment on that also, doesn't seem to be anywhere near the constant whistle blowing. Makes the game so much more enjoyable.

This is what I think too. I was barracking for them in the GF, and an hourable defeat would have been the ideal outcome for them, but that was utterly dismal and I don't know how they can recover. That diabolical result would have lost them a whole heap of recent fans, and a whole heap of potential fans.
I wanted to like GWS and was hoping they would become my second team. The trouble is, they acted like complete Pr*#@ks from day 1 and I lost any respect at all for them.

Have woken up a happy Swan today!! The dismantling of GWS was a full team effort and an even four quarter performance.

Was confident going in to the game but was not expecting a win and a percentage boost to boot!

Team is very evenly balanced at the moment. Errol is starting to have a Chad like impact with his smarts and kicking skills. Providing our midfield greater depth. Ollie has found himself at half back along with the Lizard, who continues to improve his defensive qualities as well as slice teams open with his run and kicking ability.
Only query from the game was for Amartey, I would probably give him a rest next week. For whatever reason he couldn’t get involved in the game and May need some time in the 2’s to work on that. That should open the door for one of Logan, McLean or even Ladhams.

I would be wanting Logan to come in again, even though McLean kicked the goals in the 2’s. Logan is the future and also is very good below the knees with clean hands which will help in high pressure games, when ball is coming in all over the shop.

We are now a huge chance for top 4, make top 4 and you are a chance to win it. We have a great feel about the team at the moment, something special is brewing!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back