Autopsy Big brother hammers little brother

Remove this Banner Ad

I said at the time they were being set up that they’d never get a moment of my time or a penny of my money. If they had played their cards right they’d be the biggest threat to the Swans long term and there’s still a risk of that happening.

You’re correct that they acted like complete pr*cks from day 1 and that was a very deliberate decision on their part - I know someone who was close to their administration at the time and they thought that was the best way to quickly create a ‘rivalry’ (plus one or two of them had a real chip on their shoulder about the Swans). That approach was endorsed by the AFL.
Personally, I think they wanted to divide and conquer. The last thing the AFL boys club wanted was for both Sydney teams to unite as a power block.

I agree. But the Vic media are going to get the rule changed back.

It was clear that if you dropped your knees to draw a high tackle, it would be play on. Ginnivan has kept doing it anyway and now they are painting him as a victim.
As always, they're just covering a contentious issue to generate more views / clicks. The reality is, most fans are aligned in their views. Media just flip flop to generate hysteria.

As always, they're just covering a contentious issue to generate more views / clicks. The reality is, most fans are aligned in their views. Media just flip flop to generate hysteria.
They keep showing these clips to demonstrate how he is being victimised. They did it again this morning on the sunday footy show.

In every example, he gets the ball, senses the tackle and drops his knees to get the tackler to tackle him high. It's the exact thing the AFL said would no longer be a free kick.

Personally, I think they wanted to divide and conquer. The last thing the AFL boys club wanted was for both Sydney teams to unite as a power block.
I think that’s taking the conspiracy angle a bit too far.

The AFL desperately needs GWS to succeed. The massive population base = piles of revenue if they do.

It’s the largest untapped market in Australia. No way the AFL will do anything to hinder GWS.

They keep showing these clips to demonstrate how he is being victimised. They did it again this morning on the sunday footy show.

In every example, he gets the ball, senses the tackle and drops his knees to get the tackler to tackle him high. It's the exact thing the AFL said would no longer be a free kick.
and the Collingwood nuffies on Facebook don't like you pointing out the facts of that.

The AFL desperately needs GWS to succeed. The massive population base = piles of revenue if they do.

It’s the largest untapped market in Australia. No way the AFL will do anything to hinder GWS.
Explain why no GWS players have ever been traded to Sydney. I am pretty sure the AFL wanted a second team in Sydney to counterbalance the Swan‘s power and influence.

The same mentality that determined we “can’t have everyone”.

Explain why no GWS players have ever been traded to Sydney. I am pretty sure the AFL wanted a second team in Sydney to counterbalance the Swan‘s power and influence.

Trades between 2 team cities is very rare. In WA & SA its probably mainly due to the absolute venom and animosity they have for each other. QLD & NSW are getting there but it seems to be thing. Not seeing any conspiracy.

I think GWS should play some of the Melbourne clubs with big followings including the Swans at the SCG for some of their home games for a few seasons.

I think GWS should play some of the Melbourne clubs with big followings including the Swans at the SCG for some of their home games for a few seasons.

So they can play in a 3/4 empty stadium instead of only half empty?

Apart from vs us, the biggest Vic clubs v GWS only have an average crowd around 12,000

Much lower against the smaller clubs

It's basically because when a player decides to leave GWS, it is because they want to go home and home isn't NSW.

It's why the Southern clubs have been so advantaged by these expansion teams and there is a feeding frenzy every year on GWS and Gold Coast.

It isn't some AFL conspiracy though preventing us from trading in GWS players.

GWS will take a generation to take hold, will depend how they capture the kids going forward.

Easy to s**t on the concept, bit like Carlton and co trying to kick us out in the 90s

now they are there would be s**t if it failed

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm not sure we have cap space to recruit any players, at least not any asking for decent coin. Warner and McDonald will command big bucks when their contracts are up, and we've got to bring paddy's contract in line with his performance. In addition to the increased salaries of all the young up and comers.

Kennedy is on very little, we've got Buddy's contract that we'll shed in the next year or so, but given the upward trajectory of our side, I'd imagine the war chest would have a few promissory notes in there before we even consider bringing other players into the side.

I doubt Western Sydney is embracing the giants in any meaningful way any time soon. League is king amongst the large Polynesian and white aussie demographic who love the more combative nature of thugby league. The other ethnic groups love their soccer and will not be too keen for their kids to play AFL, ironically due to the feeling it's too rough. The club itself is not even based in the heart of "Greater Western Sydney" and the likelihood of seeing a GWS player having a beer at the Rooty Hill RSL is about the same as seeing Kristina Kenneally eating Pho in Cabramatta. Like KK, Giants prefer to live in other areas of Sydney then GWS. The players would be anonymous in GWS and non relatable to the demographic the AFL needs to capture for the club to succeed. I bet they're more likely to have heard of Buddy, Heeney, Paps and now Chad than Whitfield, Kelly, Greene and Coniglio.

So pleased to see Stephens on a roll.

We drafted a Gaff-style outside runner & it’s exactly what he’s becoming.

He’s been a slow-burn, but has well and truly emerged.
I am pleased for Dyl too. He has played so well recently. His endeavour has been fantastic. He must cover a huge amount of ground and he puts huge pressure on opponents simply by chasing because he is so quick. Glad for the lad.

On JAT-L29 using BigFooty.com mobile app

GWS can get stuffed. They have a home ground - they can use it. The SCG is ours. We fought for it, some our most iconic modern moments have taken place there. Nope.

It's official - Sam Reid, Robbie Fox, Dylan Stephens and Ryan Clarke are now all virtually undroppable.

Imagine coming up with that hot take after the back to back losses to the Qld clubs - which was not all that long ago.

My thoughts on Errol's game:

Gulden can sometimes cop the "over-rated" tag because he goes for big, ambitious kicks that, inevitably, can lead to turnovers. But games like this are why we want him to keep going for them. Because when he nails them he can just find targets in the field that basically no one in the team besides maybe Blakey can find.

The Mongrel Punt's thoughts on Errol's game:

"Gulden was the one that jumped out of the box to me. He is confident in his abilities – sometimes a little overconfident, which leads to turnovers, and has the ability to make the opposition pay for mistakes."

My thoughts on Rowbottom's game:

Rowbottom rightly gets credit for his tackling, which is actually effective and causes turnovers, as opposed to just wrapping blokes up who shrug him off. But equally impressive is his work in close. The guy extracts it and finds the free Swan as good as anyone.

The Mongrel Punt's thoughts on Rowbottom's game:

"Rowbottom simply taught them a lesson in how to attack the footy and whilst I am sure it will be his tackling that gets him the plaudits from supporters, a couple of his efforts at clearances where he hit the pack hard and crashed in to extract the footy were as good as you’ll see from some of the more renowned names in the game."

I am the Mongrel Punt. The Mongrel Punt is me.

Didn't get to watch it yesterday so I'll try to find the time this week. Exactly the sort of win you'd expect. Hope all the "they will beat us" types were appropriately apologetic

My thoughts on Errol's game:

The Mongrel Punt's thoughts on Errol's game:

"Gulden was the one that jumped out of the box to me. He is confident in his abilities – sometimes a little overconfident, which leads to turnovers, and has the ability to make the opposition pay for mistakes."

My thoughts on Rowbottom's game:

The Mongrel Punt's thoughts on Rowbottom's game:

"Rowbottom simply taught them a lesson in how to attack the footy and whilst I am sure it will be his tackling that gets him the plaudits from supporters, a couple of his efforts at clearances where he hit the pack hard and crashed in to extract the footy were as good as you’ll see from some of the more renowned names in the game."

I am the Mongrel Punt. The Mongrel Punt is me.
Mongrel punt is clearly a Swans fan IMO

Didn't get to watch it yesterday so I'll try to find the time this week. Exactly the sort of win you'd expect. Hope all the "they will beat us" types were appropriately apologetic
Nah. I'm happy that my paranoia knows no bounds which leads to me be surprised and thrilled when we win.

Griffen Louge? Could be squeezed out due to Freo chasing Jackson. Wanted him that draft year and would be gettable at a reasonable price
Prefer Sam Taylor, Griffen goes okay... but I reckon Sam has a higher ceiling

Remove this Banner Ad

Back