Big Cricket Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Chappell certainly knows how to hold a grudge. * me

On SM-G970F using BigFooty.com mobile app

He kept on about Botham and the supposed glassing incident whilst being more than happy to admit to having threatened to wrap the bat around Bothams head on at least two occasions..

It was such garbage television that it was great viewing…

If you want to see some high quality tv, tune into channel 9 tonight for Chappell v Botham…

Ian of course is coming across as his usual measured polite self..
I'll never forget last Ashes he was commentating for ABC Grandstand. During a slow-ish passage of play, he went on a 30 minute tangent about an LBW decision against him 50 years ago, and how it was an outrage and how he never got justice. He was working himself up so much I thought he might give himself a heart attack.

Absolutely unhinged individual. I love it.

I got the impression that Botham would've happily buried the hatchet at any point, but Chappell refused to ever let that happen and just hung sh!t on him at every opportunity.

Botham would definitely have been a mouthy young pr*ck back in the day, but people change over time. Chappell was and is incapable of moving on.

RIP Windies cricket. Couldn't qualify for the last T20 World cup, now on the verge of not qualifying for the ODI world cup.

Been in terminal decline for awhile.

They can't get the young athletes to commit to cricket anymore, they get snapped up by other sports.

By all accounts, most of them loved him and would run through a brick wall for him.

Was a real players captain apparently.

Chappell was instrumental in helping Packer set up World Series Cricket which resulted in players receiving far more money than they ever had with better conditions

He was very anti-authoritarian and didn’t back down against the Australian Cricket Board and wore a lot of the backlash

So the players unsurprisingly would walk through those brick walls for him

Unfortunately he became a grumpy old campaigner who’s brain remained in the 1970’s

Isn't the issue more that the best kids are playing cricket, just not for the West Indies?
Are there any good West Indies on the T20 circuit these days ?

The days of Gayle, Bravo, Pollard, Russell, Narine etc.. are all pretty much gone.
Pooran is the only one that springs to mind, and he still represents West Indies.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cricket seems to have quite a few people who can hold a grudge longer than the Mafia. All that time during a game to stew on it, perhaps?
Quite odd considering it’s one of the few where the sledging can get very heated but also where they’d then go and have a beer with each other at the end of the game

Are there any good West Indies on the T20 circuit these days ?

The days of Gayle, Bravo, Pollard, Russell, Narine etc.. are all pretty much gone.
Pooran is the only one that springs to mind, and he still represents West Indies.
Kyle Mayers had a great IPL, but he's still available for selection for WI. Holder and Hetmyer still playing a lot of T20s, although their form's not what it was 2-3 years ago. Some fringe players like Romario Shepherd still running around. You're right, the golden generation seems to be dwindling.

Kyle Mayers had a great IPL, but he's still available for selection for WI. Holder and Hetmyer still playing a lot of T20s, although their form's not what it was 2-3 years ago. Some fringe players like Romario Shepherd still running around. You're right, the golden generation seems to be dwindling.
Mayers and Holder still play for the national side. Hetmeyer I don't think does, but would hardly call him a star

At least young Chanderpaul's no chance of turning T20 mercenary.
Their test team has a better winning percentage than their limited overs team over the last few years. Someone on the cricket board pulled up the stats.

As it turns out the red ball team is rather solid in comparison.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back