Big Day Out 2008 Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

I've never heard of half these bands?

Sounds like a ****in indie festival.

unless you're prepared to pay $600 for a ticket, you're never going to know most of the bands on a lineup unless you're into your alternative tunes and listen to the j's... but you can make some great discoveries... i saw UNKLE at the gold coast BDO and they were amazing...

I'm going to the Big Day Out and I can't wait to discover several new "indie s**t" bands. There's so much music out there man, don't limit yourself.

correct weight... some tips, if you're not into them yet... check out UNKLE in the boiler room and if you don't know em yet already, cut off your hands, big things wait in store for these kiwi lads

unless you're prepared to pay $600 for a ticket, you're never going to know most of the bands on a lineup unless you're into your alternative tunes and listen to the j's... but you can make some great discoveries... i saw UNKLE at the gold coast BDO and they were amazing...

UNKLE has done heaps of remixes. Worked with Oasis and other bands. I dont need to discover them at all.

Zing.

Seriously though dude, this is a thread for people going to the Big Day Out, not for you to say every band that doesn't sound remotely BritRock is some crap Indie band.

I've been an Oasis and BritRock fan for a fair bit longer than you, I would wager, and I love them just as much, (am excited about Stop the Clocks being on the new album and the The Verve's comeback!) but I'm not gonna force it on people, they're allowed their own opinions, even if they think they're shite.

So instead of saying it's all "indie s**t" try opening your mind for once and realising that just because you haven't heard of a band doesn't make em s**t.

I'm going to the Big Day Out and I can't wait to discover several new "indie s**t" bands. There's so much music out there man, don't limit yourself.

Im not forcing anything on people mate, i'm just saying that most of the bands at the Big Day Out (when you have Grinspoon as one of the lead acts you know something is wrong) wont be around in a few years and if they are, they'll still be doing the same stuff, playing to the same alternative crowds before being forgotten.

Gold coast

Arcade fire followed Grinspoon.

As hard as Grinspoon tried they just clouldnt get a reaction. From memory they closed with "champion" which was supposed to win the fans over.

NO-ONE SANG CHAMPION

Arcade fire opened with "Wake-up". It was amazing. Its on you tube

Gold coast

Arcade fire followed Grinspoon.

As hard as Grinspoon tried they just clouldnt get a reaction. From memory they closed with "champion" which was supposed to win the fans over.

NO-ONE SANG CHAMPION

Arcade fire opened with "Wake-up". It was amazing. Its on you tube

You sure you were at the same Gold Coast show as me? :confused:

Went to Sydney BDO yesterday, Bjork cancelling was a major blessing. It was bad enough having to stand through over an hour of Arcade Fire without her wailings.

Can't speak for Gold Coast but in sydney plenty of people sang Champion and More Than You Are in Grinspoons set.

I found that Silverchair were getting very little reaction. Untill they played Freak and stacks of people rushed to the front and moshed. But other than that when they played their new stuff it was pretty dull, with countless bottles being thrown at Daniel Johns, who I'm pretty sure was high.

Anyone who hasn't been yet check out Gyroscope, they put on a great show.

Oh, and Rage. Just amazing. The moshpit for Rage was the most insane thing I've seen in my life. And their performance. Wow.

Im working gate duty at BDO 2morrow. I get a 1 hour break. Should I see UNKLE or Silverchair? I love Silverchair, but if they are playing the young modern stuff, I dunno if im that interested. What kinda music does UNKLE play? What bands are similar? Ive heard good stuff about UNKLE, but I havent got a clue who they are.

[youtube]BSsMGNwYDdg[/youtube]

a mix of rock and dance music... probably not right for the boiler room, and should've been on the green or essential stages...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Im working gate duty at BDO 2morrow. I get a 1 hour break. Should I see UNKLE or Silverchair? I love Silverchair, but if they are playing the young modern stuff, I dunno if im that interested. What kinda music does UNKLE play? What bands are similar? Ive heard good stuff about UNKLE, but I havent got a clue who they are.

No question dude, go see unkle... they're bloody fantastic. Their dance-rock hybrid is completely mesmerising and I'm not even a dance fan at all.

My summary of day
Got there
we went over to the main stage but nothing was happening so went n watched british india for a bit, not my cup of tea but put on a good show.
Then went to watch something with number, copped the end of operator please (shut the f**k up) and something with numbers were worse than i expected, utter rubbish. from there went n saw a bit of gyroscope then friends wen to dizzee rascal i went to regurgitator which was one of my highlights of the day. after that found some other friends who wanted to see midnight jugganauts, they went in and the d was full the rest of the day, did not see them again lol, saw a couple of others i knew but despite best efforts couldnt get in contact with people. was kinda lame.
Anyway stood n watched a bit of grinspoon, enemy and ready 1 were good rest was sh*t, then went n watched bluejuice for a bit, came back and saw champion played, anyone know what they played between about ready 1 and champion?
watched hilltop hoods for most of their set they were good despite my usual non liking of hip hop they were pretty damn good show. caught a little bit billy bragg, went back n watched different parts of silverchair, they were f**kin woeful. Daniel Johns is a nobhead, the american accent trying to get people into it blah. f**k him off.
after that went n saw the hard ons, friggen quality punk set from them, nice to see a punk band playing.
Then went over and watched rage. Bit dissapointing, especially the start which was cos i was a long way back and the sound was terrible, and i could not see. Was better when i got into the top of the stands. pretty damn good from up there. Killling in the name of was unbelievable, watching the crowd during that was sensational.

After rage i went n chilled watching paul kelly then went to the bus and saw my mates again lol. Got home about 1:30

No question dude, go see unkle... they're bloody fantastic. Their dance-rock hybrid is completely mesmerising and I'm not even a dance fan at all.
Ended up seeing silverchair. It was a crap performance, a complete duplicate from the across the great divide concert, just with less songs. I was happy they played Israel's son though. That made my night. I shouldnt complain though, getting paid $120 to do it isnt too bad :D

Anyone have trouble getting into the Boiler Room for Dizzee? He was my favourite act there besides Rage, and I let my mates convince me to watch a bit of the Midnight Juggernaughts until Dizzee started, and by then we couldnt even get in. I was devastated.

My day

Anti Flag- Very good
Kate Nash- Very good
Hilltop Hoods- Awesome- doing a Jay-Z cover was a nice touch
Grinspoon- s**t. Wish they played classics like Black Friday/Just Ace
Arcade Fire- was disapointed after all the hype
Silverchair- they were okay, I found that the music was too loud, not in a whiny 'its hurting my ears' way, but in a way that you couldnt hear the crowd and couldnt sing along and stuff
Bjork- Terrible idea having her on before rage, everyone was hyped for rage and she just murdered the mood
Rage- Awesome, no complaints. brutal mosh but an awesome show

Wanted to see Brand New but didnt want to give up my D position, besides im going to the side show

What a long day that was.

The best:
Anti-Flag - Pick of the bunch for me.
Enter Shikari - Funny and entertaining, the CD translated a lot better live than I expected.
Rage - Didn't leave disappointed, feeling the ground shake backwards and forwards was insane.
Karnivool - Very solid.

The good:
Mammal
Die! Die! Die! - Well maybe not THAT good, but I'm a fan.
Bexta - Pretty standard DJ stuff...
Goodwill - See Bexta.

Worse than I expected:
Brand New - Not bad but not quite what I was expecting.
Behind Crimson Eyes - Loose and uninterested.
Faker - Love the old stuff, hate the new stuff.
Grinspoon - See Faker, 20 minutes was enough.

Anyone have trouble getting into the Boiler Room for Dizzee? He was my favourite act there besides Rage, and I let my mates convince me to watch a bit of the Midnight Juggernaughts until Dizzee started, and by then we couldnt even get in. I was devastated.

My day

Anti Flag- Very good
Kate Nash- Very good
Hilltop Hoods- Awesome- doing a Jay-Z cover was a nice touch
Grinspoon- s**t. Wish they played classics like Black Friday/Just Ace
Arcade Fire- was disapointed after all the hype
Silverchair- they were okay, I found that the music was too loud, not in a whiny 'its hurting my ears' way, but in a way that you couldnt hear the crowd and couldnt sing along and stuff
Bjork- Terrible idea having her on before rage, everyone was hyped for rage and she just murdered the mood
Rage- Awesome, no complaints. brutal mosh but an awesome show

Wanted to see Brand New but didnt want to give up my D position, besides im going to the side show
That was my exact day, except I caught the end of Regurgitator just before the Hilltops came on. I also tried to get into the Boiler Room for Dizzee, and yes, it was impossible. Apparently they had one door half open. My friend went there and said the room was fairly empty, but then they opened all the doors. I have no idea why they would have done that.

I basically agree with what you said about each of the acts except I was kind of underwhelmed by Kate Nash. Grinspoon were rubbish. Bjork is completely ****ed up and so are the people who stuck her on the main stage before Rage. What kind of a decision is that?! Rage was basically the best moment of my life so far.

Also, did anyone check out RoboRock? It's a robot that plays the drums and he had his own little stage and was awesome. When I was there he played Blitzkrieg Bop and Bullet In The Head.

What a long day that was.

The best:
Anti-Flag - Pick of the bunch for me.
Enter Shikari - Funny and entertaining, the CD translated a lot better live than I expected.
Rage - Didn't leave disappointed, feeling the ground shake backwards and forwards was insane.
Karnivool - Very solid.

The good:
Mammal
Die! Die! Die! - Well maybe not THAT good, but I'm a fan.
Bexta - Pretty standard DJ stuff...
Goodwill - See Bexta.

Worse than I expected:
Brand New - Not bad but not quite what I was expecting.
Behind Crimson Eyes - Loose and uninterested.
Faker - Love the old stuff, hate the new stuff.
Grinspoon - See Faker, 20 minutes was enough.

Brand New are pretty intense, sort of hard to get into if your not a big fan or at least know the material. Not a good choice for a festival for me.

Completely agree with Grinspoon. I used to be a big fan and it kind of peaked around New Detention. Had some great hits but the rot started to show, perhaps added to the fact that I was young back then. Its been downhill ever since. The start of the show was torture, but the hits at the end were okay. What was he wearing though with those hairclips? A

That was my exact day, except I caught the end of Regurgitator just before the Hilltops came on. I also tried to get into the Boiler Room for Dizzee, and yes, it was impossible. Apparently they had one door half open. My friend went there and said the room was fairly empty, but then they opened all the doors. I have no idea why they would have done that.

I basically agree with what you said about each of the acts except I was kind of underwhelmed by Kate Nash. Grinspoon were rubbish. Bjork is completely ****ed up and so are the people who stuck her on the main stage before Rage. What kind of a decision is that?! Rage was basically the best moment of my life so far.

Also, did anyone check out RoboRock? It's a robot that plays the drums and he had his own little stage and was awesome. When I was there he played Blitzkrieg Bop and Bullet In The Head.

I really loved Kate Nash, but I am a fan and knew the songs and stuff, I mentioned to my mates who hadn't heard any of her stuff before that it would be a pretty hard gig to enjoy if you weren't a fan as she was rather odd. But good for me.

I saw that Robot thing but not when it was playing, I would have liked to see that.

With Bjork, It would have been much better if she were headlining a different stage perhaps, I could have appreciated her If I wasnt in such a rage mood I think. But it all doesn't matter because Rage were absolutely awesome.

oh well, off to anti flag tonight

Brand New are pretty intense, sort of hard to get into if your not a big fan or at least know the material. Not a good choice for a festival for me.

Completely agree with Grinspoon. I used to be a big fan and it kind of peaked around New Detention. Had some great hits but the rot started to show, perhaps added to the fact that I was young back then. Its been downhill ever since. The start of the show was torture, but the hits at the end were okay. What was he wearing though with those hairclips? A
That's the thing, I am a fan and knew the stuff pretty well. The live performance just didn't really do it for me.

I probably would've enjoyed it more had they been on earlier in the day rather than between Karnivool and Rage on my schedule.

reading comments on the herald sun website a lot of people that attended have been saying how poorly it was organised with the layout, and not enough security.....

"This BDO was one of the most unorganised c**p in years. It was an embarrassment for Melbourne. Crowds standing on gravel and not even being able to see the bands. The organisers need to use there brains. No wonder crowds went wild they were just so p****d off."

"This was the worst organized BDO ever! I have been to 6 BDO's and everything other than the acts was a sham. It was a poor location with not enough though going into the layout and facilities. To go anywhere and see anything required standing in a queue for over 30 minutes. When the organisers realise that you need to place the main stages at the bottom of a small hill so that all can see"

"please return it to princess park where you can sit on the grass and actually see the band from up the back!"

"Big Day Out is going downhill rapidly with the crowd that they attract. It attracts thousands of bogans who are not aware of 90% of the bands and are just there to drink. It's these people who ruin the day for everyone else and they have no idea how much the public can not stand them."

for those that went or have been would you agree?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back