Remove this Banner Ad

Club Legend
Mar 29, 2010
Victoria
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Manchester United
Who was kicking snaps from set shots before Stevie J? I remember that Stephen Milne would often play on and kick them but don’t recall anyone doing it the way Steve and everyone else does now...
I guess my issue is the way that every type of snap from a set shot (e.g. from a severe angle on the boundary line) that had been a thing for decades was now 'doing a Stevie J'.

windyhill

Hall of Famer
Feb 4, 2001
East Burwood
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Arsenal
Kicks we all know that are clearly, straight off the boot,going directly through for a point. But you get the “ has heeeee, has ittttt, ohhhhhh itttssss closssssseeee” fu**, off, no it’s not you w***ers.
mcavenny clearly the worst, but most of them dooooooooo itttttttt.

Billy ray

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 10, 2013
The Valley near the Alley
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Hell no
Kicks we all know that are clearly, straight off the boot,going directly through for a point. But you get the “ has heeeee, has ittttt, ohhhhhh itttssss closssssseeee” fu**, off, no it’s not you w***ers.
mcavenny clearly the worst, but most of them dooooooooo itttttttt.
And all they need to do is watch the goal umpire to get it right. Not watch the ball.

All Aust

Debutant
Oct 29, 2020
AFL Club
Richmond
Everything from the opening introduction.... Basil..... If you were to down a beer for every time you has to listen to an irrelevant comment, drivel, or out and out error from this man, you'd de-gas your barrel by half time.

Any commentator that refers to a specific player as a plural.

BT when he overeggs players he likes, or, rails against umpiring calls he doesn't agree with (FFS, in order, announce it is controversial, go to the replay, make the call, let it rest). At times, he bullies other commentators seemingly oblivious that it is really all about the game, the game that has continued to play some time ago. I guess he makes it, all about him.

(As mentioned earlier) More experienced commentators, once very good at their craft have become parodies of their 1990's 2000's selves, regurgitating tired or suggestive homoerotic catch phrases. A lame attempt to show their love of the game.

Agree with others that had posted similar to the Ritchie Benaud mantra for television commentary “Put your brain into gear and if you can add to what’s on the screen then do it, otherwise shut up.”

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Chuckie357

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 9, 2015
AFL Club
St Kilda
When commentators say things they wished happened rather than commentating the ******* game and tell us what is happening!

Remove this Banner Ad