Biggest commentary bugbears?

Remove this Banner Ad

Screamers - I am thinking Tony Leonard and Bruce Eva here...generally poor voices technically, made worse by having no craft. I remember reading a great article by Richard Hinds once on Rex Hunt. His proposition was that Hunt, over and above all the nicknames and tomfoolery, was technically the best caller because when it came to a crescendo-situation - usually an important goal - he under-called it and let the crowd reaction and hollering from the rest of the box take over.

Yes. Perfect example in the biggest game of 2016. Fast forward to 2.33.

- Most games, they seem to not so much barrack for, but call the game from the perspective of one side, and not as neutral observers.
- On controversial decisions they have a tendency to agree with each other too often, without discussing the point. (BT is actually good here in that he'll go against the grain if he wants).
- Bruce - yes he is worse than ever. Might I add his use of the word 'clever'. He uses it when someone does something unusual (banana kick on the wing, handpass into the ground, little soccer kicks), not necessarily clever.
- Wayne Carey. He has some insightful comments but really in this day and age a grub of a human being like him should not be on the commentary team.
- Paul Roos' whiny voice.

- The worst of all is when they make it about themselves somehow. CH9 cricket got really bad with that after Richie and co left. It's not a friggen sportman's night guys. Call the game.

I do not believe AFL players in general know the finite details of their opponents. Take for example Dayne Zorko. Asked on SEN about how they will look to beat the magpies, he said the magpies strength was in clearances, inferring they are effectively in the top echelon.

Collingwood are 9th in clearance averages.

I do not believe AFL players in general know the finite details of their opponents. Take for example Dayne Zorko. Asked on SEN about how they will look to beat the magpies, he said the magpies strength was in clearances, inferring they are effectively in the top echelon.

Collingwood are 9th in clearance averages.
Also annoys me when very highly paid players say they don't watch football, then don't even know certain rules or which foot their opponent kicks on.

I cannot believe that the powerbrokers at CH7 don't watch the broadcasts and cringe themselves.

Why is it that footy commentators HAVE to say as much as possible in as little time as possible at the expense of what is happening on the ground ??

FFS, just call the players names instead of trying to dress it up into something it isn't.

I recall when I started watching soccer from England back in the 60s and 70s, there would be one commentator, and for most of the time all he did was say the name of the player with the ball. No point in saying "He passes it to ....", etc., you could see that. It was all I needed, just tell me who's got the ball. And if a player would take a shot, all he'd say was "CHARLTON!!!". He let the picture do the talking. I think AFL commentators must be paid per word.

I recall when I started watching soccer from England back in the 60s and 70s, there would be one commentator, and for most of the time all he did was say the name of the player with the ball. No point in saying "He passes it to ....", etc., you could see that. It was all I needed, just tell me who's got the ball. And if a player would take a shot, all he'd say was "CHARLTON!!!". He let the picture do the talking. I think AFL commentators must be paid per word.

Euro soccer callers are still like that for the most part. There might be a comment if they see something a little different developing in the play, but for sure, they are of the less is more school.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

"Lowers the eyes"
"Lovely/good leg" (Bruce)
"The modern player"...followed by some BS that no other gen of player could have even imagined attempting to do. (Darc, Richo and Ling are big on this one)
Any player named Jake gets "Jakey" - (Darc and BT mainly)
If a plodder takes on a few and kicks a goal, average level of excitement - if a Danger or Dusty do the exact same thing - sheer pandemonium in the box...

"Lowers the eyes"
"Lovely/good leg" (Bruce)
"The modern player"...followed by some BS that no other gen of player could have even imagined attempting to do. (Darc, Richo and Ling are big on this one)
Any player named Jake gets "Jakey" - (Darc and BT mainly)
If a plodder takes on a few and kicks a goal, average level of excitement - if a Danger or Dusty do the exact same thing - sheer pandemonium in the box...

Yes this X1000.

Jonathan Brown trailing off every sentence like he's a pirate
Arrrghhh

Nails down a blackboard type stuff for me
Even more annoying for me is the opposite of that

guys beginning every sentence with a drawn "Yeeeaahh" or "aaaargh".
Tend to notice it at the start of a broadcast/radio show: "Yeeeaaahhhh welcome to a big day of footy here on blah blah"

This has been driving me nuts for years the double-standards with Mumford. It's like they go back in time to 1985 mindset whenever he's involved in such an incident.
For the umpteenth time in his career Mumford does a cheap shot on an opposing player in tonight's Demons/Giants game and during the quarter-time break the Ch 7 twits all are semi-admiring what he's done and laughing about it.

Wouldn't happen with any other player in the comp.

Player X dumps a player after disposing of the ball commentators talk about dangerous tackles etc.
Shane Mumford does the same thing commentators laugh and joke about it.
“That’s Mummy”

Just going to quote myself from a couple of weeks ago here.
Mummy smashing blokes in the head tonight and the commentators are just yukking it up in the box.

That's Mummy!!

For the umpteenth time in his career Mumford does a cheap shot on an opposing player in tonight's Demons/Giants game and during the quarter-time break the Ch 7 twits all are semi-admiring what he's done and laughing about it.

Wouldn't happen with any other player in the comp.

Ha, didn't realize you had posted this until after I just posted about the same topic.

When a draftee/debutant kicks their first goal.

"It's his first goal in footy" (BT is a notable culprit here).

Unless he has played every single match of his junior career until AFL at full back and never left the defensive 50 - no it isn't.

That's been annoying people in SA & WA for decades. You have a player in the SANFL/WAFL who's played 100 league games, kicked 300 goals, throw in a few state games, and goes over to the VFL/AFL. You would continually hear, "This is his first game of League Football", they'd talk about him like he was some kid who came up from the juniors.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back