Biggest commentary bugbears?

Remove this Banner Ad

lmao what are you meant to call it then? Intercepting is literally what a player has done in that situation
Nothing wrong with the term in isolation, but when Matthew Richardson says 'intercept' over and over and over again, because he has nothing of value to say, it's horrible commentary. It's like a new word has been discovered.

'Striker' has been done to death by certain commentators this round too.

Everything from the opening introduction.... Basil..... If you were to down a beer for every time you has to listen to an irrelevant comment, drivel, or out and out error from this man, you'd de-gas your barrel by half time.

Any commentator that refers to a specific player as a plural.

BT when he overeggs players he likes, or, rails against umpiring calls he doesn't agree with (FFS, in order, announce it is controversial, go to the replay, make the call, let it rest). At times, he bullies other commentators seemingly oblivious that it is really all about the game, the game that has continued to play some time ago. I guess he makes it, all about him.

(As mentioned earlier) More experienced commentators, once very good at their craft have become parodies of their 1990's 2000's selves, regurgitating tired or suggestive homoerotic catch phrases. A lame attempt to show their love of the game.

Agree with others that had posted similar to the Ritchie Benaud mantra for television commentary “Put your brain into gear and if you can add to what’s on the screen then do it, otherwise shut up.”
Agree but remember these guys have producers, who are their boss dictating how to call games. It is not just a bunch of l bokes who turn up 10 minutes before the game and start spewing bile. They are coached, coz thats what mr producer thinks you want

Biggest bugbear this year will be that every game will be called from Melbourne whether it is played in Melbourne or elsewhere. Invest in some callers from the other states so we can have some variety in the calls and we can have broadcasters actually at the games

When the player is arguing with the umpire and the commentator says "I've never seen the umpire reverse his decision".

This is lazy and clichéd commentary due to two reasons:

- The commentators should get off the fence and be analysing the actual decision - sometimes the player is right and the umpire is wrong
- The player letting the umpire know that he disapproves of the decision may make the umpire question it in his own mind and could influence future decisions he makes in that game

(Log in to remove this ad.)

BT has just called Jake Lever "the best fister in the game"
LOLs but sounds like he himself has plenty of experience in the act. Giver or receiver is the unanswered question.

BT has just called Jake Lever "the best fister in the game"
LOLs but sounds like he himself has plenty of experience in the act. Giver or receiver is the unanswered question.
It's like they can't call it punching anymore because that's too violent FFS fisting

Sent by shoe phone via Tapatoe

Commentators not being in the same state as the game they're calling is fast becoming one.
It's actually starting to completely do my head in.

How (and it's absolutely more Fox than 7) don't have the capacity to have literally 2 or 3 people that know the game, in each state is beyond me.

Ex players/media personal that are already in the states (that may work for either network)
WA - Pavlich, Ellis, Basil, Commetti (!!!!), Embley, Reid, Papalii
SA - Ricciuto, Soderstrom, McAveney (!!!), Cassisi, Dittmar, Yates
QLD - Lynch, Champion, McKernan, Black
NSW - Bolton, Luff, Seymour, Speed (?)

The “teams Quarterback” can GAGF.

I am a big NFL fan. But no player or position in AFL is remotely comprable, nor should it be.What’s more, most AFL fans could not give a toss either way trying to compare it to an American sport.

It started in the 90s. Bruce and Healy terming guy McKenna as such

What was with Eddie and his constant yelling in the Richmond game on the weekend? I remember thinking about 12 months back out of all the commentators going round that he's not that bad, but gee he's falling off a cliff lately, just non stop yelling. Is he ok? I was actually concerned for him if I'm being honest.

Might be just me, but can't stand when they replay a "potential" incident and then everyone comments on how many weeks they're gonna get. Feel it is totally unfair to the player.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back