Opinion Biggest spud taken at #1

Remove this Banner Ad

Tom Scully is nothing special not the biggest spud but in the same draft Fyfe was taken at pick #20

Every other club passed on Fyfe at least once, including Freo too. It's all easy with hindsight.

Every other club passed on Fyfe at least once, including Freo too. It's all easy with hindsight.

Probably because of poor kicking, if anything he was lucky, Dahlhaus slipped all the way to the rookie draft because of being perceived as a really poor kick, despite an impressive junior resume.

he wasnt the 1st taken, but 5th overall in the 1996 draft Daniel McAlister buy essendon
played 6 games in 5 years, was even delisted in 2001 & re drafted at 64 & delisted again at the end of 2002

Not sure why people are picking on Watts, he doesn't make the top 5, actually doesn't even get close to doing so either

1. Richard Louder
2. Stephen Hooper
3. John Hutton
4. Anthony Banik
5. Clive Waterhouse
I don't know how many times it has to said..
Mentioning names like that is just beyond stupid, only around 1995 onwards should be considered when the clubs actually started to get really professional and put the resources into drafting.

There's no point in criticising players from the very early drafts when clubs didn't put the resources into scouting, according to wiki Hutton's 1991 draft 11 players from the top 30 didn't even play a single game for the club that selected them ffs. At pick 40 it's almost half that didn't play a game..

Not sure why people are picking on Watts, he doesn't make the top 5, actually doesn't even get close to doing so either

1. Richard Louder
2. Stephen Hooper
3. John Hutton
4. Anthony Banik
5. Clive Waterhouse

Honourable mentions - Des Hedland, Alex McDonald
Only Headland and Waterhouse are draft picks of what we'd call a draft today, in your Top 4's time you were lucky to get 10 players who'd have a useful career.

I also reckon you should weight drafts in terms of quality of players selected as well, there's a huge difference in class between Hooper's draft and Watts' draft.

Realising my bias from being a Melbourne supporter,
But does no one else see similarities between Brendon Goddard and Jack Watts. Both in terms of playing styles and unfair criticism/slower development?

But does no one else see similarities between Brendon Goddard and Jack Watts. Both in terms of playing styles and unfair criticism/slower development?
Possibly. Though Watts was more of a KPP prospect, whereas Goddard was an outside player.

I do reckon Watts will come good eventually, ftr. He's shown signs of ability over the last couple of seasons (though his worst can be horrific), and if anyone can get the best out of him, it's Roos. Kinda reminds me of Goodes in some ways.

Jack Watts is a 20 year old key position player. How can anyone seriously say he is a spud? We won't know for another 3 or 4 years whether or not Melbourne made the right choice. Give him time.

Richard Lounder wins this thread question hands down. Anyone who thinks there has been a worse number 1 pick than Richard Lounder is wrong. He played 4 games for Richmond, then never played again.

Lounder in a land-slide :thumbsu:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No. But Watts is a lot better than some people make him out to be.

Josh Fraser. Worse was the fact the quality players after him.

Given that Pavlich was available and Fraserse insipid performances I disagree.
That's not what the thread is asking, though.

Is Fraser worse than any number of other number one picks? Not on your nelly. Any of the number one picks prior to 1993 were worse than him in the scheme of their careers. Who else was picked in those drafts doesn't change that.

Still amazes me the criticism Watts cops, while Gibbs still hasn't won a hard ball in his career.
Has Deledio ever smashed a final in the midfield like Gibbs?

Amazed that Deledio couldn't work over and beat Duigan who has retired due to injury. Poorer defender than Gibbs. If that had been Yarran, everyone would ignore Deledio's credits as an AA player and called him out for his poor game. Both are more well known for their run and skill than their hardness.

Has Deledio ever smashed a final in the midfield like Gibbs?

Amazed that Deledio couldn't work over and beat Duigan who has retired due to injury. Poorer defender than Gibbs. If that had been Yarran, everyone would ignore Deledio's credits as an AA player and called him out for his poor game. Both are more well known for their run and skill than their hardness.

I agree now, Gibbs has his good days and has improved his game a lot, can go inside when needed.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back