Bishop's 2015 Draft Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Crows will take Curnow before Milera. Already have enough similar players to Milera.

Curnow told clubs all year he didn't want to go interstate which is putting the Crows off selecting him. They still might and think they can convince him.

Essentially does this mean that nobody has a clue what Carlton are going to do?

Personally I think Melbourne are taking Milera, with the next three picks going Weiderman, McKay, Curnow.

Milera is probably in the mix at 7, as if Weideman goes to the Dons for example & Dees have cooled on Curnow they might not get a tall at all.

No they won't from what I hear. Not on their radar.

As above- Curnow not a huge fan of going interstate

I hate great fun reading this in retrospect

Bishop reading back through your Phantom I see you havent done a post draft wrap/review. Any chance you can give us a quick write up? :D

Like most AFL scouts and recruiters I've been on holiday for the last few weeks post draft- I'll post a review sometime this week.

Expect my 2016 Draft Crop Thread for come in February.

Bishop reading back through your Phantom I see you havent done a post draft wrap/review. Any chance you can give us a quick write up? :D

Sorry for the delay- Like many. Obviously other things on my mind in February. I've been working hard on the track...

Did pretty well from what I expected in the my PD.

Obviously nobody picked Doedee, I know a few clubs had followed him from his BBall background, but didn't expect it to come that high. I'd heard whispers about a Himmelberg bid. I think the Crows took a punt, but every club rates players differently and if they think Doedee is the right man they'll read him name out. Only time will tell. Milera is a good pick, Crows happy to pick an SA lad.

Lions gained two academy kids and manage to gain Rhys Mathieson & Sam Skinner- and obviously Schache. I cooled on Schache a fair bit in November, but was never in doubt to go to the Lions. Not surprised by the Mathieson slide, running a 12.4 in the beep test is never a good sign as a midfielder. Especially with the lack of rotations and no sub, clubs wouldn't have even considered him. Skinner should develop into a nice defender.

Very well done from SOS & The Blues. Cunningham really burst from nowhere mid year, has exceptional pace- something this draft lacked. Curnow slipped because of his incident, but Blues picking him was a no brainer. But I'm not sure what his role will be at AFL level, I'm yet to be convinced he can play midfield. Jack Silvagni will be a good player for the Northern Blues, but I can't see him having an AFL career. Watch out for his younger brother Blues fans....

Collingwood pulled the shock of the draft with Sier. I only saw him once in a school rep game, where he played pretty well but didn't stand out. They liked their 19 year olds and Tom Phillips stood out for Oakleigh. Crocker getting to Collingwood is a great result for them, I rated Ben very highly. Wills would have been drafted by Richmond or Essendon if the Pies didn't take him. Showed form at VAFA/VFL Level with Collingwood trying to hide him for most of the season.

Nice draft from the Dons. Obviously as it turns out most of these players will get game time, Brown/Hartley good defence posts. Parish will be a gem, Morgan showed glimpses. Mason Redman flew under the radar, should be a nice HFF. Francis I've got a few ?? on as to what he'll become at AFL level, his strong marking is a positive.

I'm sure Freo will be happy with their first two picks with Tucker and Balic. I really rate Tucker and surprised other clubs didn't jump with earlier picks. Balic was understandable, not really anything more than a HFF, doesn't play too well on the inside. Will be interesting to see his development, I don't think he'll get too much game time either. Could be back in Melbourne soon... Collins provides some KPD depth and I think he may play Rd1. Yarran had some good form, but again don't think he'll get much game time.

Geelong didn't have much to work with but Gardner, Buzza and Menegola are all decent players. I honestly don't know too much about Hayball, but with picks that late you gotta take a punt.

I actually think Gold Coast's draft has gone "underrated." I think they did very well with Ah Chee, looking to address some X-Factor and pace with the loss of Bennell. Fiorini is a gem, and he showed that at TAC Cup level that he can win the ball. Schoenfeld's running and game has come on leaps and bounds, I know the Suns interviewed him at the Combine and were very impressed with the way he spoke/Set goals for the combine and smashed them. Willis was watched closely, could be another in for an early debut.

GWS, 4 picks 4 academy kids. No doubt on any of them, thought the bids would come earlier on draft night for Hopper & Kennedy. Kennedy could just end up the best of the crop. Flynn is a really good ruckman, Himmelberg might just take McCarthy's spot after all...

I was surprised with Hawthorn, I didn't think Lovell warranted their first pick. Burton seemed likely to end up there and hopefully his rehab and everything goes well. At Hardwick's height, not sure what role he can play at AFL and for the Hawks. Don't think he's got a tank to play on ball and isn't tall to play as a leading marking goal kicker which he was at TAC.

Another job well done for the Dees. Clayton Oliver is one of the best in this draft (and like what I said with M.Kennedy) I think he may be one of the best. The Dees were tossing up between Parish and Oliver right up to draft night, but Jason Taylor and the Dees eventually went with Oliver. His patches in the U18s were brilliant and will be superb after some preseasons under his belt. Mitch King's ruckwork was good in the TAC and he was a late smokie to come into consideration. Brett Anderson brought up Liam Hullett in his PD, but other than that no much was heard about him. The leading forward is a good prospect for the Dees.

NM gained Ryan Clarke and Ben McKay who they both loved. Both showed some really promising signs at the U18 TAC Cup level. As well as Michael Hibberd, i don't think NM could have asked for a better three picks- All of whom who I think could be going higher. Wagner was the first player to be bidded on and not matched, maybe a touch early for my liking. Mountford another one who had a good year.

Two picks for Port and they'd be very happy with Bonner and Johnson. NM liked both of them and they would have come into consideration for their other picks. Johnson's got Elite pace and once he's over the Quad injury that plagued him all year he'll be a nice add to the Port team. Riley Bonner's elite kick should help them move off HBF and pick out players with ease.

I'm not normally one to have a go at the club I support- But I'm not 100% convinced about their draft. I've made it no secret that I don't rate Dan Rioli and if his name wasn't Rioli I don't think we would have drafted him. Markov I liked last yr more than this year, but his elite pace address the Tigers' needs. Nathan Broad is a decent mature ager who possibly will debut in Round 1, not sure what his AFL career may be like- But I'll need to be convinced to like this draft from the Tigers.

Still think the Saints should have gone Tucker, but can understand Gresham. MVP for Vic Metro. Brandon White was in their top 20 on draft night so they'd be stoked to come out with him. Bailey Rice bid came about where I expected, will be watching for him closely at Sandy this year. Well done to the Saints for a good draft. Trout and Co. have been very impressive over the last couple of years.

Callum Mills is a gun, but not sure they hit their other picks. Dawson ok, but how many similar players do the Swans have! Leonardis is a good running defender, but again I think they needed to address Key position players especially defenders.

Solid draft from the Eagles- I like all of their picks. A couple of HBF/midfielder + Matthew Allen a growing footballer after playing State level cricket. I think Kurt Mutimer was one that not many spoke about, so WCE fans keep your eye on him. Very good player.

Bulldogs would have been doing cartwheels when K.Collins got to pick 26, he deserved to go earlier as such that's how good of a player I think he is. Dunkley will really need to prove me, the kid kicks at 50% which I can't fathom. Mature ager of Marcus Adams will be good for the Bulldogs, Bailey Williams showed signs towards the end of the year- and had a massive game of 50+ disposals.

---

Anyway, that's a short (rushed) summary. I don't believe anybody can win/lose a draft, every club walks out happy. The best juniors from U18 level can become horrible and never have a career, while at the same time the kid who doesn't perform exceptionally at U18 level and gets drafted might thrive in an AFL environment and become a really good player.

See you in later Feb
Thanks for all the 2015 support.

Bishop

I'll challenge you on your Silvagni call, from a Carlton supporters perspective.

Club is already happy with him and he's just the type Bolton wants; Smart players.
Jack is underaged, under-developed and is still growing, can mark, can kick and is doing all the one percenters already.

Nothing's a certainty of course, but Jack will be playing senior games as soon as some time next year.

I'll challenge you on your Silvagni call, from a Carlton supporters perspective.

Club is already happy with him and he's just the type Bolton wants; Smart players.
Jack is underaged, under-developed and is still growing, can mark, can kick and is doing all the one percenters already.

Nothing's a certainty of course, but Jack will be playing senior games as soon as some time next year.

That's just my opinion from observations over the last 3 years. We'll see how time tells...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Have you seen much of Romensky Bishop? Been really good in defense for the Jets in the opening rounds.

I've seen both the Western Jets games live this season- (NOTE my 2016 Thread is being finalised in my excel sheet at the moment, so expect it to drop by Thursday! :p)

I think he's been solid in both games in defence, is he draftable? At this stage, I don't think so. Speaking with a few people on Sunday, I think Dylan Clarke (ER) is probably the only lock to be drafted who played on Sunday. The fact that majority of the recruiters left at or before HT to go to the Dragons/Calder game probably says more about how they rate the prospects that played in the Sunday game at IKON.

I stood next to him near the huddle last week, nice size about him. One thing I noticed about him last year was he has a really good kick about him, which is always a good thing for a defender coming out of D50. I thought he played better on Sunday (yesterday) when the ball spent more time in defence than it did the week before.

I've seen both the Western Jets games live this season- (NOTE my 2016 Thread is being finalised in my excel sheet at the moment, so expect it to drop by Thursday! :p)

I think he's been solid in both games in defence, is he draftable? At this stage, I don't think so. Speaking with a few people on Sunday, I think Dylan Clarke (ER) is probably the only lock to be drafted who played on Sunday. The fact that majority of the recruiters left at or before HT to go to the Dragons/Calder game probably says more about how they rate the prospects that played in the Sunday game at IKON.

I stood next to him near the huddle last week, nice size about him. One thing I noticed about him last year was he has a really good kick about him, which is always a good thing for a defender coming out of D50. I thought he played better on Sunday (yesterday) when the ball spent more time in defence than it did the week before.

Thanks for that.

Who do you are the best goal kicking forwards this year, tall and small?

Have you seen much of Romensky Bishop? Been really good in defense for the Jets in the opening rounds.

Good chance to move on ball when school football begins and the Jets/PEGS mids miss games (Venables, Giarrizzo, Rayner). Played there in the pre-season and has the tank to do it, ran a 13.11 beep at the pre-season testing. Will be very interesting to see what impact he can have there as a tall, strong mid.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back