Injury Blue Healers Discussion - 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Latest Injury Update 21st May …

THERE are updates on seven Blues leading into Round 11.

Jacob Weitering (cork)
- Availability: test

Marc Pittonet (finger)

Experienced an additional finger injury in the game against Sydney
  • Unavailable for selection this week
  • A clearer outline on his return to play will be known within the next week

Jack Martin (calf)
  • Scans last week confirmed a calf strain
  • Has commenced his rehab with a timeline for his return to become clearer next week

Sam Durdin (concussion)

Jesse Motlop (hamstring)

Adam Saad (hamstring)

Lachie Fogarty (wrist)

Player

Injury

Update

Matt CarrollGroinRemains on a modified program for at least another month due to groin soreness.(Update: 30 April)
Adam CerraHamstringExperienced a hamstring strain in win over Melbourne.
Availability: to be reassessed in Round 13. (Update: 14 May)
Matthew CottrellFootUnderwent scans which revealed navicular stress reaction. Club will work through rehabilitation plan in coming weeks.
Availability: to be reassessed following the Club's Round 14 bye. (Update: 14 May)
David CuninghamCalfExperienced a calf strain during VFL on Friday.
Availability: to be assessed in Round 13. (Update: 14 May)
Sam DochertyKneeSuffered a ruptured ACL and torn meniscus in his right knee. (Update: 9 March)
Sam DurdinConcussionAvailability: test. (Update: 21 May)
Lachie FogartyWristAvailability: test. (Update: 21 May)
Jack MartinCalfScans last week confirmed a calf strain.
Has commenced rehab with timeline for return to become clearer next week. (Update: 21 May)
Jesse MotlopHamstringAvailability: test. (Update: 21 May)
Hudson O'KeeffeHamstringExperienced a high-grade hamstring strain at training on Sunday.
Availability: 8-12 weeks. (Update: 14 May)
Marc PittonetFingerExperienced an additional finger injury in game against Sydney.
Unavailable for selection this week, while clearer timeline on return to play will be known within the next week. (Update: 21 May)
Adam SaadHamstringAvailability: test. (Update: 21 May)
Jack SilvagniKneeHas begun initial stages of rehab following surgery. (Update: 21 February)
Jacob WeiteringCorkAvailability: test. (Update: 21 May)

Hopefully Williams and Motlop return to play (at some level) next week to offset the loss of Cerra.
Williams for me is 6th in line for hbf role. And if Cowan continues to develop, Williams could be 7th.

Saad
Newman
Docherty
Boyd
Cincotta
Williams
Cowan

He's got good burst speed. But he's undisciplined and poor defensively. He can also be sloppy with his disposal. He has the ability to sometimes pull off a great attacking move, however he's also prone to howlers and costly turnovers.

With our best 23 available, I don't think he's in our best team.

Our midfield needs burst speed to break away from the contest. Cripps, Hewitt and Kennedy dont have that but they have other attributes that complement each other.
Cripps is the focus of the opposition, a bull and needs to get the ball out of congestion to our outside players.
Hewitt can do similar but is also good defensively on opposition players.
Kennedy knows how to provide a block and is also a bull at getting the ball out.
Cerra and Walsh are the ones you want delivering the ball inside 50.
Williams or Saad coming off HB to join Cerra and Walsh as outside runners delivering into the 50.

Our midfield needs burst speed to break away from the contest. Cripps, Hewitt and Kennedy dont have that but they have other attributes that complement each other.
Cripps is the focus of the opposition, a bull and needs to get the ball out of congestion to our outside players.
Hewitt can do similar but is also good defensively on opposition players.
Kennedy knows how to provide a block and is also a bull at getting the ball out.
Cerra and Walsh are the ones you want delivering the ball inside 50.
Williams or Saad coming off HB to join Cerra and Walsh as outside runners delivering into the 50.
Ideally. Yeah. Agree.

Yep, huge concern.

Did he have any at Freo? Just hard to see how this isn’t a load issue.
Don't think so
21 games in debut year 2018
20 games in 2019 - missed a couple of games in the middle of the year but I can't find why
17 games in 2020 (short season, didn't miss)
18 games in 2021 - missed games with a syndesmosis injury, foot squashed under a tackle

Hamstring very much seems to be a Carlton thing (or more last 18 months thing) sadly

I see a fundraising opportunity.

Most helpful supporters awards.

Gala dinner.

Categories:

Most unhelpful supporter award goes to....

drumroll

..... And it's a 100,000-way tie!!!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This really is chicken/egg type scenario.

Are we injury-prone because we have recruited injury-prone players who just find a way to get injured, and remain injured? Marchbank, Cuningham, McGovern, Martin, now Cerra...

OR

Are Russell & our high-performance team underperforming?

It really is difficult to say.

What I would say, is they need to change how they manage Cerra's hamstring injuries. I know I am being Captain Obvious, but let's find a better way.

We don't even know if it is the same one.

For all we know it could be the other leg from trying to protect the one he's returning from.

All I know is he looked pretty despondent on the bench when he came back up.

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

Is Pitto ok hearing he may have a hand injury.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
lalala GIF by Offspring on TEN

Remove this Banner Ad

Back