Bluemour Discussion Thread III

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Surely Treloar is the benchmark here and i rate Shiel at least the equal of him ...

I agree, he is on par with Treloar as a player, which cost the Pies to 2 x 1st rounders while getting a 2nd rounder in return. The pies believed they would climb the ladder this year, lessening the blow of another early pick going to GWS, they were proven wrong

There are other factors that are involved, such as Treloar was 22 when traded. while Shiel will be 24. These factors are taken into account when determining worth, for players of this quality. I am not saying to acquire him at any cost. SOS has been extremely prudent when trading for quality players, I don't believe the strategy will change anytime soon.

For what its worth, given where I believe we will finish, it will more than likely cost us an early 1st and 2nd in 2017

Last edited:
Harks if we could land Shiel and Hopper for a 1st rounder each i could come at that .
But i see what Treloar cost and i think Shiel is probably better than him .

Treloar was on the rich side of things and maybe not the best gauge of what is possible, although I agree with what you're saying.

Maybe a Hopper along with Shiel is a reach....but ask, and you never know. :)

I had like 10 replies come to mind immediately, but it's low hanging fruit and I'm better than that :p
I thought of ten possible replies as I typed it. It shows my commitment though Shan; the fact that I'm prepared to set myself up like that, just to make my point...

Thank you for your restraint by the way:thumbsu:

I agree, he is on par with Treloar as a player, which cost the Pies to 2 x 1st rounders while getting a 2nd rounder in return. The pies believed they would climb the ladder this year, lessening the blow of another early pick going to GWS, they were proven wrong

There are other factors that are involved, such as Treloar was 22 when traded. while Shiel will be 24. These factors are taken into account when determining worth, for players of this quality. I am not saying to acquire him at any cost. SOS has been extremely prudent when trading for quality players, I don't believe the strategy will change anytime soon.

For what its worth, given where I believe we will finish, it will either cost us an early 1st and 2nd in 2017

Some fair points ArrOw .
But to trade our 1st rounder next year (1-4) ? would see us out of the draft remembering we currently don't hold a 2nd rounder next year .
So you would effectively have to take us out of the draft AND find another 2nd rounder .
I guess i just see landing Shiel at this stage as to expensive .
It may be more prudent to see if the AFL lower the FA criteria and then make a play for Shiel .

Personally, i see GWS's core as Ward, Davis, Scully, Coniglio, Shiel, Cameron, Patton and Devon Smith. To me it seems like they are the core of the group and the Club.

And i see that core as rock solid, going nowhere, and probably going down in history as multi premiership teammates who went from rock bottom all the way to the top together. They have a bond.

You may even add Buntine, Greene and Haynes to the list.

I think elsewhere is where the shopping is still to be done. Maybe Hopper, Whitfield or even an early raid on Taranto or Setterfield.

Martin would be a phenomenal get for us, we haven't got a midfielder who can play the half forward flank, it's one of the biggest holes in our side. Fyfe has a suspect back, great player though, or at least was. Shiel is a gun, will be worth around 2 first rounders next season, just about take him ahead of Fyfe if there was a choice. Worth 1 early first at the least. Probably depends how well we go as to whether we target big name/price players. Probably need to make finals first I would say. Who knows where we are at salary cap wise, we might have a clean out of a few big contracts and have to bring in another hefty contract to make the TPP so it might be worth chasing a free agent.

Martin would be a phenomenal get for us, we haven't got a midfielder who can play the half forward flank, it's one of the biggest holes in our side. Fyfe has a suspect back, great player though, or at least was. Shiel is a gun, will be worth around 2 first rounders next season, just about take him ahead of Fyfe if there was a choice. Worth 1 early first at the least. Probably depends how well we go as to whether we target big name/price players. Probably need to make finals first I would say. Who knows where we are at salary cap wise, we might have a clean out of a few big contracts and have to bring in another hefty contract to make the TPP so it might be worth chasing a free agent.
We have plenty of players who can play mid and across half forward... it's just theyre needed in the midfield.

We need midfielders.

The day Murphy is "just" a HFF is the day we've arrived.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We have plenty of players who can play mid and across half forward... it's just theyre needed in the midfield.

We need midfielders.

The day Murphy is "just" a HFF is the day we've arrived.

I'm not as confident as you are, we've had no one much good at it for a good while and I'm not sold on Murphy though I feel he needs to be sent forward more. The biggest hope we have is that some of our youngsters become that type, Curnow, Silvagni, Fisher, Pickett, SPS. For now Smedts and Palmer will likely be our main players in this role. Watching us the last few years, we've had plenty of resting midfielders who can't get the ball playing half forward like Graham. Our weak half forward line is a bit of the problem as to why we bomb it in all the time.

So Fyfe is off our radar (Blumour file)...

The whole thing was too Olde Carlton for me, just too many salary cap eggs in one basket. Glad its off.

Buddy is the comparable ridiculous contract FA and there is a probability now that the Swans will not win the flag they paid all that money for. And their list was excellent. Their salary cap is now buggered until Buddy is in a retirement home.

Big risk luring superstars these days.

If GWS win a flag this year then Shiel will stay for the Fivepeat.

Why would a player like Treloar have left GWS?

He was a fundamental aspect of their midfield.... pretty much a guaranteed flag.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back