Bluemour Melting Pot XXI - Like seriously, the polar ice caps have got nothing on us

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Unpopular opinion.

All uncontracted players should be free agents with the same restricted free agent rules.

Teams should only be able to trade players with contracts and players in the top 25%.

So Daniher and Papley would be in the same situation, but Cutler, Pittonet, Phillips, Aish etc. would all be able to freely move.

Ironically, so would Tim Kelly.

I thought SOS showed the softer side to his negotiating style. I think he used the word ”respectful” each time he was interviewed during this trade period.

Just on GCS and it’s tough message, there was discussion on SEN this morning about the possible impact of having to wait for PSD, or the like, on player mental health. In light of that, and having sent it’s message, GCS should now do the right thing; delist the kid and allow him to go where he damn well likes.

It will be very detrimental, I feel, to their culture if they try and redraft him through the PSD. Very bad look.

Wrong, Tom Harley said on radio this morning they offered 5 & 9 and Essendon rejected it

Essendon stated and held to the statement that they needed players not picks, Sydney wouldn't entertain any players of value moving so Essendon said no. Its that simple for the Joe Daniher deal. I'm guessing a potential elite player (eg Blakey) or an established elite player such as Parker and a first round pick would have been more attractive to *

We tried to but failed to uncouple Papley from that deal at a reasonable price as Sydney wanted MORE than pick 9.

IMO the aflpa would be very against the psd being dropped. It is in place to protect legitimate player angst against a club he wants to leave. It has never been utilised of late because clubs know that it is there as a backup plan for players, therefore they have to deal ..."or lose through the psd.
The confusing thing for me is that GC would be under the same impression, and the blocking of Martin, could trigger a psd walk. The threat of course is the boofhead club could interfere to protect their pet club the GC SUNS and somehow block the psd option. There is no doubt that the afl want it to be known that the GC cant be an easy target for interstate raiders going forward. My mail is that king was "heavily induced" to sign up for the GC and in so doing send a message to the competition that the gc have got their act together.
Now the intriguing thing will be whether the aflpa cave in to the afl and let them close off the psd for martin. Sos and co should be lobbying the aflpa asap to see where it stands on this. If they are going to cave, then we should move one and target other options.

I'm not sure the AFL can scrap the PSD on a moment's notice after the trade period has closed. If they did, Martin and his manager would be well within their rights to take legal action against restraint of trade. There needs to be a process in place to allow an uncontracted player like Martin to leave his club and land on an AFL list if they refuse to trade him.

Unpopular opinion.

All uncontracted players should be free agents with the same restricted free agent rules.

Teams should only be able to trade players with contracts and players in the top 25%.

So Daniher and Papley would be in the same situation, but Cutler, Pittonet, Phillips, Aish etc. would all be able to freely move.

Ironically, so would Tim Kelly.

It's slowly happening. Free agency is here. Delisted players are also now free agents. I can see salary and trade arbitration being introduced in the near future, along with waivers so teams can't stuff their VFL teams with talent yet not play them.

IMO the aflpa would be very against the psd being dropped. It is in place to protect legitimate player angst against a club he wants to leave. It has never been utilised of late because clubs know that it is there as a backup plan for players, therefore they have to deal ..."or lose through the psd.
The confusing thing for me is that GC would be under the same impression, and the blocking of Martin, could trigger a psd walk. The threat of course is the boofhead club could interfere to protect their pet club the GC SUNS and somehow block the psd option. There is no doubt that the afl want it to be known that the GC cant be an easy target for interstate raiders going forward. My mail is that king was "heavily induced" to sign up for the GC and in so doing send a message to the competition that the gc have got their act together.
Now the intriguing thing will be whether the aflpa cave in to the afl and let them close off the psd for martin. Sos and co should be lobbying the aflpa asap to see where it stands on this. If they are going to cave, then we should move one and target other options.

how is this for a conspiracy theory?

If Martin walks to us in the PSD, that's the AFL's way of making up for not giving us more assistance despite us being much worse than GC.

So this trade period:

GC still send a message that they are no pushover

We still get the player we want

Everyone happy.

Of course, this can only be true if Martin gets to us with it not costing us too much.

Cliff notes:

Martin can nominate for the Pre Season Draft, which takes place after the National Draft is concluded.
He can stipulate his contract terms which need to be matched in order to select him.
The draft order is reverse final ladder - GC, Melbourne, Carlton etc.

So yes, Gold Coast could take him first, and have threatened to. But if he stipulates a one year deal for $1.1mil, they'd have to be willing and able to pay him that and fit it in their salary cap. Ditto Melbourne. Gold Coast are already overpaying players to keep them up north, and would probably cause a mutiny if they paid him double what most of their players are getting just to block a move to Carlton. Melbourne certainly don't have that sort of cap space to play with given they've recruited guys like May, Lever and Tomlinson in the past two off-seasons.

So Carlton get him with Pick 3 in the PSD, pay him his $1.1mil in 2020, and sign an early extension for 3 years on $300k per year. He gets to Carlton, he gets his 4x years @ $500k, and Carlton don't give up any picks for him.

And it's that simple

So, is there a PSD or not?
Mixed messages

The mixed messages have come from peons who assume that because it's not on the official schedule that the AFL have scrapped it. They neglect to point out that the rookie draft is also absent from the schedule. That's because the schedule just lists the two days allocated for the draft(s). Day 1 is the first round, Day 2 is the remaining rounds, PSD (if any players nominate) and Rookie draft. If the PSD happens, it'll last all of 5 minutes, it's not something the AFL need to trumpet from the rooftops so chicken little fans can sleep at night.

Let's all dance to the silver lining effect ... it's not helpful (studies show this). It was a s**t trade period for us

If you were on the Carlton Board, you would not be impressed with that performance

And now we move on ... to raise our hopes once more 🌈

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Essendon stated and held to the statement that they needed players not picks, Sydney wouldn't entertain any players of value moving so Essendon said no. Its that simple for the Joe Daniher deal. I'm guessing a potential elite player (eg Blakey) or an established elite player such as Parker and a first round pick would have been more attractive to *

We tried to but failed to uncouple Papley from that deal at a reasonable price as Sydney wanted MORE than pick 9.

If Dodoro didn't actively seek and sweeten up a player then that's on him. He's meant to obtain the best return for his club.

Freo actively sweetened up Acres in zero time to get the Hill trade over the line. Big profit.

Now Essendon are facing a rehabbing Joe and an end of first round pick in return end of next year. Not good for them.

Let's all dance to the silver lining effect ... it's not helpful (studies show this). It was a s**t trade period for us

If you were on the Carlton Board, you would not be impressed with that performance

And now we move on ... to raise our hopes once more 🌈

The Carlton board may have set an upper limit on what they were willing to part with. Who the * knows.

Having had the night to sleep on it, I'm conflicted.

On one hand - great work for SOS and co to stick to their guns and not wildly overpay for our targets.

On the other (slightly bigger) hand - we saw several other clubs just pay a bit overs (or a lot) for their men. In a day, week, month - nobody will care what they paid. If there was a chance Papley got to us without Daniher by just paying Pick 9 outright - we should have 100% done it. So I'm miffed we couldn't get the deal across, and pi**ed that such a good operator in SOS let Dodo dictate our results (again it could be argued).

What it now says to players who want to come to us and nominate publicly is "maybe they can't be trusted to get me across the line". Doesn't matter what happened to get here or who's at fault. It's not a good look and we were - as JustaBattler beautifully states - held hostage.

Cant be trusted? Ffs it looks to me and most people that sos did his utmost to get the players here given his resources. There cannot be an expectation that deals will be done at any cost, thats not how it works.
#9 was fair for papley, but the swans were flexing their muscles just like we did with gibbs. It is our right and so it was with the swans.

Martin was in a very different situation... Contracted and a club who was trying to establish a new culture by not making it easy for interstate raiders. Whether this is all undone by the psd remains to be seem, but in terms of picks offered, sos couldnt be criticised for a lack of effort

So to stop this debate:

From the start Essendon said pick 5 & 9 wont be good enough for a deal - swans can say that offer was rejected before they made the offer and bombers can say it was never offered (as they got I before it was an offer)

Either way, both teams knew 5 & 9 wouldn't get the deal done.

Semantics
5+9 is overs for Daniher considering they will get less next year if he leaves .
That deal is very fair and reasonable if that was the offer from Sydney .
This is where mediation or an arbitor needs to make the final decision here not be left to clubs stonewalling all the way through trade period .

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back