Player Watch Boomer retires

Remove this Banner Ad

Sadly Boomer suffered a severe broken leg for North Heidelberg against Heidelberg today in Round 1 (the full tibia + fibula style break).

While you couldn’t put a line thru a marathon man like him, it will be a near 12 month recovery and unfortunately might be the end of him in footy boots.

I’m fairly sure his total senior game tally sits at 519 which is absolutely freaking ridiculous. There are few around that would’ve played that many.

North Melbourne 432
Victoria 2
Australia 11
North Heidelberg 74

I know people will chime in with comments about “local footy” etc etc, but the bloke is still playing NFNL Div 1, it’s the top tier of footy outside the VFL. Without AFL or VFL reserves any more this is the third tier of footy and he’s played seniors the whole time. It’s not like he’s been running around in some district bush league. It’s very good footy and absolutely remarkable that he’s played 519 games of senior footy, I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s unmatched. I know Bradley played 500+.

Should probably find a new hobby now.

Hojuman , Engimal v3 , ferball , LuvtheKangas and Rod Stroker should Boomer Harvey been allowed to play one more season in 2017?

I wanted him to make it to 450 games
Yes.
He hadn't lost his fitness, ability, or form. He was still good enough to play another year, at least. It's why Hawthorn made him an offer after he was cut by North.

This is only his second surgery in 35 years of playing football, after breaking his arm in 2009. Freak.

But you may not have had Reece Shaw or Noble as a coach and not been as terrible from then until now.
If Covid had never happened Shaw may have done alright. He didn't cope with the hub, along with half the list.

But I think either way we'd have had to pay the piper cos Brad Scott didn't really develop the list and we suffered with the expansion clubs and their compromised drafts as well as poor drafting late picks until 2021. Alot of how poor we are now is due to poor picks from a decade to five years ago.

EDIT - Not so much late picks actually but mid range ones. Second rounders particularly. Froggy Dumont and Ryan Clarke the best of a bad (and unlucky) bunch. Flynn Perez may turn out okay and Charlie Comben is a very promising KPP but that's four successful second round picks in a decade if those two come good and the other two are at other clubs anyway.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back