Player Watch Boomer retires

Remove this Banner Ad

Not as players, they'll be yours in that regard- but rather, as supporters. It's great knowing the wages North were paying Boomer last year will be spent on Doggies Memberships and Merchandise. Money well spent.

For that alone, all is forgiven. Well done on the great career Boomer.
He covered that too. Said he will be taking his kids to watch North each week. Maybe amuse yourself in another thread - this one is to celebrate the end of the longest VFL/AFL career ever played.

He covered that too. Said he will be taking his kids to watch North each week. Maybe amuse yourself in another thread - this one is to celebrate the end of the longest VFL/AFL career ever played.
I wonder if they'll be interested.

I am celebrating his career! 432 games, legend!

Pushed into retirement.

I wonder if he wasnt pushed, would he have gone on next season with North.
Yes.

His decision was for loyalty and the romanticism of being a one club player. He said his footy still felt good, and I bet he would have kept going.

Strange from North Melbourne then. He had a decent year didnt he??
Yes he did, he did everything a half decent small forward should do, kick goals and set others up, but his two way running and tackling efforts were extremely poor this year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Absolutely gutted with Boomer retiring but im glad he remains a one club champion. Would be devasted seeing him celebrating his 450th in another guernsey.

Going by form he should've gotten another deal. Still averaging 20+ possies and 1.6 goals a game.

Will eventually become a coach.

It's truly tragic that we as football fans will forever be left wondering how long he could've gone on for.

I honestly believe he could've extended his career by 2-3 seasons playing in a permanent forward pocket role.

It's truly tragic that we as football fans will forever be left wondering how long he could've gone on for.

I honestly believe he could've extended his career by 2-3 seasons playing in a permanent forward pocket role.
I could think of worse questions to have surrounding your end – 'why did he play that last year?' 'How did he ever get a game?'

It's a bit like a great TV show or a special band ending well before their time. You'd rather their history forever be 'how much longer could they have kept this going? When was the peak coming? What was next?' rather than questioning greed and if they're doing it for the wrong reasons. If I was the subject of pub talk around "far out, I reckon he should have played longer... he would have gotten to 450" I'd be happy with those lingering impressions.

Still, this bloke lived 21 years of the life.

He never had to worry about money. He never did something he hated. He stayed fit, worked four hours a day, and got the rewards of crowds and flags and medals and newspaper columns instead of $600 a week for 23 hours a week. The guy got lucky in life and no one should feel sad for a person who had it real, real good. Life could be much worse. I'm sure he had stress, sadness, and disappointment, and we all feel the burden of family and personal issues... but he never had the right to bitch about work.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back