NO TROLLS Angus Brayshaw retires

Remove this Banner Ad

OK, so its not in the rules/guidelines then? Go ahead and whip up some tribunal reasoning if you like.

i never said it was stipulated in the AFL rules.

your suggesting stuff i never said.

If you want to go and read findings go for it. I'm not doing the legwork for you.

* he was good in the '21 flag. Took the lead from the Doggies with a brilliant mark and goal and we never surrendered the lead again.
Absolutely smashed Josh Schache afterwards too, brilliant to see. Maybe Schache deserved a free then. Footy's a hard sport.
My favourite football memory, bar none. Incredible moment.

Sad but understandable decision. Only just turned 28, so gutting. Respect, to the way you played, as a person, and the sensible decision to hang up the boots.

Maybe Kitchen Cabinet could do a special guest host episode between him & Tony Abbott getting stuck into some barbie onions as Bunnings caterers

It is still a medical opinion.

As for your other contention about Melbourne not being responsible for a contract they wrote, well, I can't help you.
They should be paying the lot and copping the salary cap whack.

Fancy contracting a player with substantial head injury issues until 2028. It’s mismanagement.

I only thought Maynard would have to deal with the guilt of ending Brayshaw's career, absolutely disgusting to hear that he is being abused online and offline, Im upset with what he did but that is out right shameful to abuse Maynard, he should have been suspend but that's over and done with, sure what he did was upsetting, but he does not deserve to be abused

I only thought Maynard would have to deal with the guilt of ending Brayshaw's career, absolutely disgusting to hear that he is being abused online and offline, Im upset with what he did but that is out right shameful to abuse Maynard, he should have been suspend but that's over and done with, sure what he did was upsetting, but he does not deserve to be abused

I also agree with this. Cheap dog act .. but the act of an idiot, not a man aiming to end another's career.

People are pretty average sometimes, especially when blanketed by anonymity.

Yes. What made it an illegal act was the contact to the head, not the injury. Lots of illegal acts (actions which transgress the rules of the game) occur in matches, and awarding a free kick to the opposition is the appropriate way of dealing with the vast majority of them.

However, occasionally the transgression is serious enough to warrant a suspension. I think that should have been the case with Maynard's hit on Brayshaw. What he did was recklessly dangerous, and his vulnerable opponent bore severe consequences as a result of his actions.

So you are now saying just a good tackle or bump should be suspended because it could possibly cause harm?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So you are now saying just a good tackle or bump should be suspended because it could possibly cause harm?

To turn your reasoning back on itself.
You are essentially saying that no care needs to be taken in consideration for other players on the field. It’s a contact sport so bad luck for anyone who gets in your way and gets hurt.

Is that it?

May I ask if Brayshaw had just got up and kept playing do you believe it was an illegal act? I ask sincerely as this happens all the time. You can’t just decide only when there is an injury.
I want you to declare Pkayer suspension when no one is injured because of dog act
High contact is illegal, regardless of the outcome to the player offended against.

Wonder if Brayshaw talks to Murphy of collingwood who has concussion issues and suggests its not worth the risk playing.
Its a very good point, Brayshaw seems axsensible and articulate person and would offer valuable insight. Best to let him deal with this transition first but the AFL or PA could do worse than put the vulnerable players in contact for peer support.

We're very concerned for our player who (like yours) has a history of courageous acts and concussions resulting from them.

Most Collingwood people feel deeply for Brayshaw. There's a few trolls and "comedians" stirring or mocking, but the overwhelming majority of supporters sympathize with Melbourne here, including the raw feelings around how he was clobbered.

here I highlighted it for you since you're having trouble reading it
View attachment 1911192
Yes, this means that the scans last week had changed compared to the one taken after the Collingwood game; I don’t know if he had an existing program of routine scan given history or (because of no concussion for a significant time) no routine monitoring until after the Collingwood game. If the latter, it’s unknown if there was an ongoing rate of deterioration from the earlier history.

Sad to see him go, had several head knocks and concussions over the journey which culminated in the decision.

Trolls having a crack at Maynard, calling him all sorts of names on here.
Everyone knows where they train, go and say it to his face, especially the ones calling him a coward!!

Its a very good point, Brayshaw seems axsensible and articulate person and would offer valuable insight. Best to let him deal with this transition first but the AFL or PA could do worse than put the vulnerable players in contact for peer support.

We're very concerned for our player who (like yours) has a history of courageous acts and concussions resulting from them.

Most Collingwood people feel deeply for Brayshaw. There's a few trolls and "comedians" stirring or mocking, but the overwhelming majority of supporters sympathize with Melbourne here, including the raw feelings around how he was clobbered.
I wonder if Murphy is considering his future now after brayshaws retirement , the fact he does not want play in pre seasons games despite getting medical approval gives me the feeling he is worried about playing again

I would like to see something positive come out of the sad retirement of Angus Brayshaw.

Trends in Australian rules football at all levels follow on from trends at senior AFL level, and the trend of players getting away with committing increasingly frequent reckless/dangerous acts on the football field in clear contravention of the rules has grown and grown to the point that it is becoming too risky and dangerous for even most young and fit people to play. I think this is largely due to the increase in, not necessarily malicious but certainly dangerously and careless on-field behaviour, being allowed to increase without appropriate intervention from umpires and tribunals. It's time to step up and apply the rules for the benefit of current and future players.

If handled right, this sad situation presents a potential turning point opportunity to reverse this trend and for officials to back their well-meaning rhetoric with genuine action. Regardless of intent players should have to show a reasonable duty of care their opponents, or you be penalised appropriately.

I won't hold my breath, but I live in hope.

High contact is illegal, regardless of the outcome to the player offended against.

Jacob Ryan had his season finished after being concused by Charlie Cameron's knee to the back of his head. No one cared.

What you say isn't true. High contact is still allowed if its a speccie attempt with a knee to the back of the head.

AFL are going to dig themselves into a hole with all these rules in a 360 degree contact sport.

Jacob Ryan had his season finished after being concused by Charlie Cameron's knee to the back of his head. No one cared.

What you say isn't true. High contact is still allowed if its a speccie attempt with a knee to the back of the head.

AFL are going to dig themselves into a hole with all these rules in a 360 degree contact sport.

I would hope the Charlie Cameron act is suspended under this new Maynard rule, otherwise they are just taking the piss.

The pissing and moaning about Maynard has led to accidental contact now being suspended.

And now we are going to have to listen to the same people cry when their players are rubbed out because of it. Vicious cycle

Last edited:
I would hope the Charlie Cameron act is suspended under this new Maynard rule, otherwise they are just taking the piss.

The pissing and moaning about Maynard has led to accidental contact now being suspended.

And now we are going to have to listen to the same people cry when their players are rubbed out because of it. Vicious cycle
It was Cam Raynor, I was at the game.

Very normal footy act, Ryan in the hole, Raynor went for the speccy. Sav Rocca decked Tony Liberatore that way years ago, it does happen quite accidentally every few seasons.

The Maynard-type hits happens too, but to be fair it had more intent, he was running at the ball hard, but at the body too and by leaping made it Brayshaw's problem to get out of the way. Good strong footy but if we're wiping out 3-4 players a season with deep brain injuries then something has to be done.

Yes there's also opportunistic "he's a dog" moaning, and trolling from external parties, those people can go away. Melbourne people have lost a bloody good player, they have a right to sound off and let their displeasure be known.

I feel that was more than just high contact, and while the tribunal followed the rules, it might be good to discourage quite such direct contact. Not a perfect solution, I won't deny that.

Wonder if Brayshaw talks to Murphy of collingwood who has concussion issues and suggests it’s not worth the risk playing.
Not sure why or what it would achieve. It’s not like Brayshaw retired against medical advice. Murphy is already undergoing assessments to resume playing. Brayshaw wishes he was in Murphy’s position in being cleared to play.

in fact, Brayshaw could learn a lot from a Murphy. Murphy took himself out of a GF despite being cleared to play on. Brayshaw seemed intent on playing on regardless of his health. It’s medical professionals that have stopped him playing, not himself. He seems to have little regard for his own health.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back