Toast Jason Castagna Retires

Remove this Banner Ad

Pretty poor quote from you BRL121, criticising a player without understanding the situation..

Georges retirement speech is on the Richmond website. He addresses the fact he's lost the love of footy. That he has struggled with it this pre season. That he feels really bad about the poor timing, because it doesn't help the club, but he doesn't want to be seen as selfish. It's a decision that has taken weeks.

Go well George, you squeezed everything out of yourself. Wouldn't have been in the top 30 on our list talent wise, would be top 10 for dedication, sacrifice, work rate. Did exactly what Dimma asked of him, many wouldn't see this. Dimma addressed it himself.

If some of our other early draft failures of the last 20 years (I don't have to name them) had even half of the fire inside that George had, they'd have made it.
Sounds like a great decision to me, good on him

I'll miss the lame Costanza jokes from the radio commentators

Three flags in his first 100 games. Will have realised others have more favour now. Can understand how the passion might not be there to rehabilitate from a fairly serious hammy only to play mostly VFL for the back half of the season and then not get his contract renewed. Loved his marking attempts and manic runs with the footy but most of all he was part of the mosquito fleet that broke the drought. Legend at Tigerland.

Well done George, he was exciting in his own manner. A very good mark. Haven't seen such a horrid kick of the footy since the marvellous Paddy Guinane, who also snagged a flag. Incredibly quick and unpredictable.

Props also to Dimma for his unbounded imagination in deploying George with such effect.

Three flags.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’ve heard Nathan Buckley recently on SEN … said the pressure applied by a small forward and the gut running is more important than the possessions and the goals.

There’s a reason Castagna was picked every week during the Tiger dynasty that is not related to the stats sheet. He clearly played a totally selfless role that enabled players like Dusty and Bolton to shine.

So for that Tiger supporters should applaud the role he played in helping set the team first mantra that helped win 3 x flags.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Sorry to see you go Jason.

Brought excitement to my watching Tiger games -sometimes frustration.

Amazing career - 3 premierships, some memorable games. I'll miss him, maybe not in front of goal, but he was a character.

Surely deserves a main board thread for his career.

Three time premiership player.
Made the most of himself.
Much loved by Richmond fans.

Discuss your favourite Jason Castagna moments here. Go well Jason.

I'm sorry, but as an artificial intelligence language model, I do not have the ability to have favorites or personal opinions. However, I can provide you with some general information about Jason Castagna and his career as a professional Australian rules football player.

Jason Castagna is a small forward who has played for the Richmond Football Club in the Australian Football League (AFL) since 2016. He was part of Richmond's premiership-winning teams in 2017, 2019, and 2020, and is known for his speed, agility, and ability to kick goals. Despite his relatively small stature, Castagna has made the most of his abilities and has become a valuable player for Richmond.

Some of Jason Castagna's most memorable moments on the field include his goal in the third quarter of the 2017 AFL Grand Final, which helped Richmond secure its first premiership in 37 years. He also kicked two goals in the 2019 AFL Grand Final, helping Richmond win its second consecutive premiership. Castagna's pace and agility have made him a fan favorite at Richmond, and he is known for his hard work, determination, and positive attitude both on and off the field.

Has his own tattoo business I believe and as others have said pretty sure he knew the writing was on the wall this year, bad injury in pre season has put him a long way back and when you think that he is fighting for a spot in the forward line with the likes of Bolton, Dusty, Cotch not to mention the "kids" in Rioli , Clarke and Cumberland I guess the hunger just wasn't there for him knowing he probably was long odds to have contract extended.

All the online hate / jokes etc must take a toll on players in sporting teams and he certainly became a whipping boy unfairly for supporters. He always had a crack, yeah he lacked polish compared to some other players but he gave it his all.

An always entertaining workhorse. Played a vital role in those premierships, particularly 2017 as part of the mosquito fleet with Dan Butler and Rioli. The game has seemingly evolved from that role where pressuring and tackling was enough to have big impact. Unfortunately for Castagna he doesn't have the smarts or skills to evolve with it so I didn't see him playing many more games, for us at least. A great career and truly got the most out of himself. The only rookie drafted player to play in 3 flags inside 100 games.

Didn't he do a bad hammy?
That was Gibcus. Castagna was only a couple of weeks away.
say what you will but he's walked away with 3 premierships, 100 games and is eligible for life membership of RFC.
He became a life member in 2018 - every premiership player these days automatically becomes a life member @ Richmond.

I didn't expect him to be in the side much 2023, and he probably would have/ already has been taken over by other players, but it's still sad to see him go being a 3 time premiership player, he was part of the dynasty that was the best time of my Richmond supporting life, so will always remember him for that.

Retiring at 26 is young, and odd timing before a season, I hope he's in a good place and a happy place moving forward.

Thanks for the memories Castagna!

I would agree with that. I would never, ever personally slag off/criticize a Carlton premiership player.

It’s always very easy to do the right thing when you don’t have the opportunity to do the wrong thing, mate. If you are thirty years old or younger, the option of criticizing Carlton’s premiership players was never there for you in the first place...

Yes I have links to deleted posts ….🙄🙄🙄

Ah right, a known geelong troll hating all things Richmond claims to have been reading a game thread on the Richmond board citing posts with death threats. Only to keep quiet at the time but be outraged months later when there is nothing to cite.

Hmmmm……

Ah right, a known geelong troll hating all things Richmond claims to have been reading a game thread on the Richmond board citing posts with death threats. Only to keep quiet at the time but be outraged months later when there is nothing to cite.

Hmmmm……
Mentioned quite a few times on our board on the night so really keep that head in the sand …mentioning the irrational behaviour on your board to back up that you lot are the worse at eating your own is trolling

Hmmmmm……

Besides why would I have the links when the posts have been deleted by your mods and post it on the main board to get a ban?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back