Boys from the Port

Remove this Banner Ad

Am I to infer that anything other than the first grade side of PAFC is not Port Adelaide?
Its all Port Adelaide, but the first grade side is the primary side carrying on the traditions of the PAFC. It embodies the aspiration to be the best, not just the best in South Australia, even if it costs you comfort and some nostalgia.

Could it not be plausible to argue that this first grade PAFC side represented a new club from midway through to the end of '96 whilst its former club was selecting a new squad under new contracts?
Nope.

A football club is more than just a registered name on a document.
So if you believe that then why try and make dumb points about new clubs and former clubs?

Where we sit now, we can have a fair idea if what the structure of our club would be if we were able to turn back time. We would possibly be where we are now but without a residue of the separation of a football community and the values darting in different directions.
A lot of us are very clear on what has happened, and nothing since our original view has changed that - this is more realised now than ever before.

PAFC entered the AFL. Power = Magpies. End story, whiners can have fun whining.

Its all Port Adelaide, but the first grade side is the primary side carrying on the traditions of the PAFC. It embodies the aspiration to be the best, not just the best in South Australia, even if it costs you comfort and some nostalgia.

Nope.

So if you believe that then why try and make dumb points about new clubs and former clubs?

A lot of us are very clear on what has happened, and nothing since our original view has changed that - this is more realised now than ever before.

PAFC entered the AFL. Power = Magpies. End story, whiners can have fun whining.

This is the disadvantage of forums, clarity can be an issue. I'm opening a debate, it is not necessarily my personal views, and I was attempting to highlight the nonsense, in which you described as "dumb". I'm not attempting to have a go at you. If you don't want to debate it, that's fine. I agree with your perspective but my point is that it really is time for supporters to come in line with the vision and direction of the club. The club has had to be sensitive about this issue and is working hard at making it work.

"Nope"? So it is not plausible. OK, no problem. As it is not plausible then you must believe that the PAFC won the '96 SANFL flag. Is it then plausible that Tim Ginever played for two clubs, the one which won the GF in '96 and the other which lost the GF in '97? If Port departed the SANFL after the '96 grand final then the answer is yes, he played for two clubs in the SANFL. I'm not describing my view here by the way, and I'm not assuming your point of view either, it is just expression. I feel the whole thing of taking sides is 'old attitude' and nonsense.

I don't agree with Corby's view but I understand why he has it.

Is it then plausible that Tim Ginever played for two clubs, the one which won the GF in '96 and the other which lost the GF in '97?
Same club and same team. A club can have more than one team and play in more than one division.

After 1996 our club just started fielding another team.

Really amazing how many people support the club but swallow the SANFL and Crow versions of our history. It aint that hard to work out... (Not aimed at you).

The PAFC history belongs to the POWER in the AFL, is this in question by anyone ?

There is no way the Power Reserves is a substitute for the PAFC of the past, IMO they should not be allowed to wear the Magpies uniform or continue to damage the Magpies unsurpassed history.

I for one do not want to live in denial any more that the Magpies of 2015 in the SANFL is a holder of our great history of champions and premierships, it must be recognised that we have moved on before the SANFL damages the history of PAFC any more. (which by the way is in the AFL).

Our champions of the past deserve better than what the SANFL is now offering the PAFC...

Last edited:
The PAFC history belongs to the PAFC, of which there is a team entered in each competition.

We were a couple of points off a premiership. Considering we are normally a couple of points off a wooden spoon, im not sure how much 'damage' was done this year.

The PAFC players in the SANFL are Power contracted players plus some top ups, how is this the Magpies, clearly it is NOT.
It is the PAFC Power Reserves...

The PAFC players in the SANFL are Power contracted players plus some top ups, how is this the Magpies, clearly it is NOT.
It is the PAFC Power Reserves...

It sounds like you still believe there are two Port Adelaide clubs and the old one has been extinguished ... or the new one has ... or one of them at least.

Last edited:
The PAFC history belongs to the POWER in the AFL, is this in question by anyone ?

There is no way the Power Reserves is a substitute for the PAFC of the past, IMO they should not be allowed to wear the Magpies uniform or continue to damage the Magpies unsurpassed history.

I for one do not want to live in denial any more that the Magpies of 2015 in the SANFL is a holder of our great history of champions and premierships, it must be recognised that we have moved on before the SANFL damages the history of PAFC any more. (which by the way is in the AFL).

Our champions of the past deserve better than what the SANFL is now offering the PAFC...

You're saying that in 2014 the Magpies were the holder of Port's history and the Power were not but in 2015 The Power are the holders of Port's history and the Magpies are not. Also saying that PAFC has moved on into the AFL but discounting the players representing the SANFL league team as PAFC players.

So if players of a club wear the Magpies uniform in a final of the AFL, how can players of the same club not wear it in the SANFL?

Last edited:
There is clearly only one PAFC team (in the afl)
There is clearly only one PAFC team in the SANFL ( The PAFC Reserves)

How is it so hard for others to acknowledge this is the reality.

Also unless the Crows introduce a Academy team then based on the SANFL equalization rules shortly we will have no Under 16's, No under 18's AND finally no ACADEMY teams in the SANFL.

I don't like this thought do you.

I am not happy about it and I'm just letting you know my thoughts.

Last edited:
There is clearly only one PAFC (in the afl)
There is also clearly only one club in the SANFL ( The PAFC Reserves)
How is it so hard for others to acknowledge this is the reality.

Also unless the Crows introduce a Academy team then based on the SANFL equalization rules shortly we will have no Under 16's, No under 18's AND finally no ACADEMY teams in the SANFL, I don't like this thought do you.

I am not happy and I'm just letting you know my thoughts

Obviously no. I'm not happy about it either.
I'm not caught up in nicknames though, basically our club, the one club, with its direct connection to the traditional community by way of reserves and juniors is being stripped of it all. I even question the point of the Academy team under the conditions that are clearly intended to make us struggle to attract decent talent worth investing our resources into. Our community connection is only through our own means of inviting kids over holidays to come together and train, and that's all. The enemy has succeeded in making our club totally AFL, and it doesn't sit right with our ethos. Of course some of our own have supported these conditions laid upon us by our enemy. I'm not happy about that either.

The Magpies as we knew them are finished as of 2014 season close.

The PAFC Power reserves no longer represent the history of the original Magpies and should not in any way be compared with the history of the original PAFC club.

ThePower Reserves should wear the Power jumper and only the Power Senior team should from this day forward be allowed to wear the Prison Bars on heritage celebrations.

Think about it people from 2015 on there is no more PAFC Magpies as we knew them only Power Reserves and top up players thanks to the management of our club.

NAKKERS
No football club looks back to determine who they are. Any football club worth their salt always looks forward, and the PAFC has done just that. It has built on its heritage to become one of the most respected football clubs in this nation because of that. It now competes on the national stage where it belongs and its heritage has contributed to that.

The PAFC Power reserves no longer represent the history of the original Magpies and should not in any way be compared with the history of the original PAFC club.

ThePower Reserves should wear the Power jumper and only the Power Senior team should from this day forward be allowed to wear the Prison Bars on heritage celebrations.

Think about it people from 2015 on there is no more PAFC Magpies as we knew them only Power Reserves and top up players thanks to the management of our club.
we (us maggies supporters) are all pissed off about what has happened to the sanfl side of the club. its total bullshit, but so is saying the pafc doesnt represent the so called 'old club', thats nonsense. sure things have changed, but our club chose to join the afl and unfortunately after 17 years we were no longer allowed to maintain a traditional sanfl structure within the local comp, that pisses me off as much as anyone. every player that plays for the maggies or the power represents the 'old club' some in the afl, some in the sanfl.

stop with that crap about the jumper too, thats exactly what the enemies of the club want, sure be pissed off about the way the club was forced to change its structure. but lets be rational about it and we have to stick together and make it work, we have to stick it right up them, show them that whatever crap they sling our way we still rise above them.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Since 1990 the SANFL has changed ... PAFC has evolved and remained in the state league under constraints continually imposed by masters who never have seen their AFL clubs as number 1!

Dont blame the club!

NAKKERS
No football club looks back to determine who they are. Any football club worth their salt always looks forward, and the PAFC has done just that. It has built on its heritage to become one of the most respected football clubs in this nation because of that. It now competes on the national stage where it belongs and its heritage has contributed to that.

Yes but the club had a vision and the SANFL slave rules were not part of that vision, which says it all. We want to be the best from head to toe and the SANFL clubs don't. Being the best brings the best to your club, at every level, the enemies don't want that. The enemies cannot get us to bleed as much now that they don't have direct influence on our AFL licence and so now they are trying to cut us at the ankles. They know that if our SANFL and Academy teams hover around the bottom then the attraction of the AFL program gets dented/questionable. The development of young AFL recruits becomes that much more challenging and the support of these teams dies away, which is not good for the club.

Oh and I'm not having a go at you nakkers.

The rules have forced Haren to move on, a Magpies and Power supporter himself, seen at all the games. He's not a world beater but he was in form when we had to drop him because we had to fill spots firstly with AFL players. People may not know that the contracted players, inc the captain, were not aware of this rule whereby we must select all fit AFL players whether up to it or not. So when Hocking made a speech before the finals campaign and selected the best 22 for the second semi-final which left out an of AFL player that he thought was not up to this level, the SANFL moved in (I was told that they took issue with us resting Impey). There is reason why the club found the best 15 it could, rather than go the easy way and recruit 15 hacks.

There is word, from non-AFL players, that the club felt a couple of AFL players would have best been served playing in the Academy team for the most part of the year but they couldn't do it. If you are getting 3 touches a week and out of your depth then your development must be hindered.

In another direction, some people completely ignore the passion and love of those supporters that for decades have routinely/religiously attended Alberton to watch the club play and the affection they have doing this. Those people deserve to be catered by our club, and thanked.

What right do these loser clubs have to hinder our every move to be the best of the best?

Last edited:
Have read the posts with interest and my take. I love going to see the maggies play and Port
in the AFL as well. The Power name has never sat comfortably with me.
For mine its PORT: AFL or SANFL. Those who come to our games at AO yelling Power are fine I
yell it loud on our marches and chant it throughout a game in unison with '000's of others as well.
My individual output tho during SANFL & AFL games is "come on PORT etc".

Remove this Banner Ad

Back