Brad Scott - New Essendon Coach

Remove this Banner Ad

Well that post aged quickly;

On the new Essendon CEO, from The Age:

The next order of business at Windy Hill, a new chief executive, was announced on Monday as Andrew Thorburn, whose tenure as NAB CEO ended in 2019 after copping heavy criticism from the banking royal commission

But it was Thorburn’s other gig as chairman of conservative Christian church City on a Hill that raised eyebrows on Sunday.

City on a Hill will look the other way on same-sex attraction, as long as you don’t act on it, but abortion is always a no-no.

It’s not clear where Thorburn stands personally on those issues, but his role as chairman of the church’s board requires him to advocate for the furthering of the church and its beliefs.

Footy's going well with inclusivity, hey?

Apparently we never learn anything...

AFL CEO not Essendon CEO
So essendons board have appointed a bloke who was basically sacked by NAB because despite appearing before a royal commission couldn't grasp that charging fess for services that weren't provided was a serious issue AND appears to be strongly connected to a wacky Doo church that swims strongly against inclusion and values that are now considered to be the norm.

The candidates that were deemed to be not up to the job must gave been rippers.

There's a flaw that noone wants to talk about.
I'll talk about it.

He's a *ing' nonce.

Look at his twitter, can't type a tweet without including two hundred and fifty exclamation marks (or whatever the maximum you are allowed to use on twitter is). Bio reads he's "the maddest dog". Horndog posts pervy pictures of supermodels on his instagram, how about a little professionalism, you are a representative of the greatest football club in the entire world (Melbourne Demons) and you got bella hadid's panties on your fn socials and write like I do after I got bored and ate all my ritalins again.

Drinks Corona.

Just checked his twitter he edited out some of the exclamation marks on his last two tweets, nice work Adem. But who spells it Adem anyway? That's a black mark too.

Get rid of him, burn him with fire!

Edit: wer're talking about adem yze here yeah?

Would you want Sir James of the Noble and Ancient House of Hird (esq.) as an assistant coach at your club?

Why wouldn't you?

Because despite having never served any time as an assistant coaching, and despite having a win/loss ratio of less than 50% in his first crack in the role (including winning only 5 games in his last season as coach), and despite not having any involvement in AFL for the past 7 years, and despite showing such epically poor judgement that he endangered the wellbeing of his players and almost destroyed Essendon... despite all of that... Kevin Sheedy still thought James Hird was the best man for the job.

So my only logical conclusion is that James Hird must have Godlike coaching skills.

Either that, or Kevin Sheedy is a deranged idiot.

Why wouldn't you?

Because despite having never served any time as an assistant coaching, and despite having a win/loss ratio of less than 50% in his first crack in the role (including winning only 5 games in his last season as coach), and despite not having any involvement in AFL for the past 7 years, and despite showing such epically poor judgement that he endangered the wellbeing of his players and almost destroyed Essendon... despite all of that... Kevin Sheedy still thought James Hird was the best man for the job.

So my only logical conclusion is that James Hird must have Godlike coaching skills.

Either that, or Kevin Sheedy is a deranged idiot.
If those are my only options then leaning more towards option two ... ;)

The next order of business at Windy Hill, a new chief executive, was announced on Monday as Andrew Thorburn, whose tenure as NAB CEO ended in 2019 after copping heavy criticism from the banking royal commission

But it was Thorburn’s other gig as chairman of conservative Christian church City on a Hill that raised eyebrows on Sunday.

City on a Hill will look the other way on same-sex attraction, as long as you don’t act on it, but abortion is always a no-no.

It’s not clear where Thorburn stands personally on those issues, but his role as chairman of the church’s board requires him to advocate for the furthering of the church and its beliefs.

Media must have milked the Hawks scandal dry didn't take them long to find thier next head line

Media must have milked the Hawks scandal dry didn't take them long to find thier next head line

I would've thought that announcing a CEO who was fired from his most prominent employment role due to a Royal Commission's criticisms of him personally is significant. Especially when he never seemed to be able to understand what he and NAB had done wrong.

And I don't think, given the Hawthorn scandal, you can just ignore the fact that he's on the board of a bigoted religious organisation. No one person at Hawthorn is responsible for what happened there - it's a series of personalities that allow it to become institutional. Kennett, Clarkson, Fagan et al are all old school, older white men who didn't call each other out on their s**t, and thus it created a racist institution.

The danger of someone like Thorburn is the same thing. Are other prominent people in the club now empowered to act on their own assumptions on queer people and not be called out on their bullshit? It doesn't have to happen often before you have an institutional problem like Hawthorn or Collingwood.

The likelihood, of course, is this doesn't happen. Most people aren't shitheads, and maybe Thorburn will do an exceptional job and, like the very best club CEOs, we won't hear his name again until he's retiring at the end of a successful tenure.

But on the off chance it does happen? On the off chance that, in 15-20 years a gay AFLW player makes a complaint about institutional homophobia in the club? Essendon won't have the luxury of saying they didn't know.

That's why this part of the story is significant - the Thorburn appointment appears an odd risk to take in the broader AFL context.

Last edited:
Essendon are a basket case club. They go with the conservative option of Brad Scott who is a bog average coach at best.

Take a ******* risk on someone fresh and an outsider. Before anyone suggests that Rutten was a new face and did not pan out, the dud himself was the puppeteer behind the 2020 debacle of a season with Worsfold playing the role of the lightning rod. We saw how s**t he was and still continued with the succession plan.

On another note, players are hopeless as well. Matt ******* Guelfi finished 3rd in the B&F count. Guelfi wouldn't even even be in the best 35 players for Geelong. Jake Kelly was top 10 and that guy was happily palmed off by Adelaide.

May as well merge North and Essendon together and hope that two halves make a whole.

Essendon are a basket case club. They go with the conservative option of Brad Scott who is a bog average coach at best.

Take a ******* risk on someone fresh and an outsider. Before anyone suggests that Rutten was a new face and did not pan out, the dud himself was the puppeteer behind the 2020 debacle of a season with Worsfold playing the role of the lightning rod. We saw how s**t he was and still continued with the succession plan.

On another note, players are hopeless as well. Matt ******* Guelfi finished 3rd in the B&F count. Guelfi wouldn't even even be in the best 35 players for Geelong. Jake Kelly was top 10 and that guy was happily palmed off by Adelaide.

May as well merge North and Essendon together and hope that two halves make a whole.
Kicked 17 goals playing as a small foward,applies pressure and tackles Matt Guelfi has had an excelent year and deserved his 3rd spot finish you have no idea.

Jake Kelly was handy and cost us nothing in a trade to get him.

And Brad is a great choice for the first time since Sheedy we have a coach who will grab the club by balls,take charge and set high standards exact type coach we need.

Get on board farken.

I would've thought that announcing a CEO who was fired from his most prominent employment role due to a Royal Commission's criticisms of him personally is significant. Especially when he never seemed to be able to understand what he and NAB had done wrong.

And I don't think, given the Hawthorn scandal, you can just ignore the fact that he's on the board of a bigoted religious organisation. No one person at Hawthorn is responsible for what happened there - it's a series of personalities that allow it to become institutional. Kennett, Clarkson, Fagan et al are all old school, older white men who didn't call each other out on their s**t, and thus it created a racist institution.

The danger of someone like Thorburn is the same thing. Are other prominent people in the club now empowered to act on their own assumptions on queer people and not be called out on their bullshit? It doesn't have to happen often before you have an institutional problem like Hawthorn or Collingwood.

The likelihood, of course, is this doesn't happen. Most people aren't shitheads, and maybe Thorburn will do an exceptional job and, like the very best club CEOs, we won't hear his name again until he's retiring at the end of a successful tenure.

But on the off chance it does happen? On the off chance that, in 15-20 years a gay AFLW player makes a complaint about institutional homophobia in the club? Essendon won't have the luxury of saying they didn't know.

That's why this part of the story is significant - the Thorburn appointment appears an odd risk to take in the broader AFL context.
At NAB, Thornburn lobbied the AFL for a NAB sponsored pride round, and most of his public comments around the topic show that even if his religious affiliations have beliefs that are archaic, his are not.

Yes only People of Colour can be church goers if they want (eg. Houli) and we should celebrate the diversity of that, particularly if its not Christianity. Religious white people on the other hand have no place in the game, even if they never mention it.

Thats inclusivity in 2022... when will the AFL learn?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

At NAB, Thornburn lobbied the AFL for a NAB sponsored pride round, and most of his public comments around the topic show that even if his religious affiliations have beliefs that are archaic, his are not.
Cool so now we have to figure out how he performed so poorly in the Royal Commission.

Another example of falling up in life, absolutely crazy.

Yes only People of Colour can be church goers if they want (eg. Houli) and we should celebrate the diversity of that, particularly if its not Christianity. Religious white people on the other hand have no place in the game, even if they never mention it.

Thats inclusivity in 2022... when will the AFL learn?

Stop being a precious snowflake. No-one gives two hoots about his Christianity. They care because the church he is a chairman at (not just a casual member, but in a leadership position) is homophobic.

It’s a free country. People can go to whichever church they like.
Exactly.

His performance at the Royal Commission and the fact one of his close staff members defrauded the Bank for a fortune when he probably should have realised.. they're both fair game..

In fact, the fraud stuff isn't great considering what happened with Dank at the Bombers. Lol.

Stop being a precious snowflake. No-one gives two hoots about his Christianity. They care because the church he is a chairman at (not just a casual member, but in a leadership position) is homophobic.
Do you have a problem with Bachar being a leader in the Muslim community? Is that homophobic?

As I've just said.. there's two very good reasons to get stuck into Thornburn.. his role at a local church isn't one of them.

So essendons board have appointed a bloke who was basically sacked by NAB because despite appearing before a royal commission couldn't grasp that charging fess for services that weren't provided was a serious issue AND appears to be strongly connected to a wacky Doo church that swims strongly against inclusion and values that are now considered to be the norm.

The candidates that were deemed to be not up to the job must gave been rippers.
Appointments like these have little to do with performance or what the candidates can achieve.

It's all about the CEO class giving favours to others in the CEO class. It's a complete joke.

When is Essendon's AGM? The members should not stand for this.

That’s pretty cool if that’s the case.

I’m still nervous for Essendon just from a purely administrative perspective given the Royal Commission, but as long as he’s not doing anything outwardly stupid the club - both on and off field - is likely to go as Brad Scott takes them… once Sheedy shuts the * up.

I don’t think Scott is a premiership-winning appointment, but given the last 10 years at Essendon I think he’s the right man, in the right place, at the right time.

Do you have a problem with Bachar being a leader in the Muslim community? Is that homophobic?

Are you being deliberately dense? Because last time I checked, Bachar Houli hasn't been appointed the CEO of an AFL club.

And for the record, if Bachar ever did rise to the level of Club CEO, then heck yeah, I'd want to know if he was in charge of an organisation that was homophobic.

Appointments like these have little to do with performance or what the candidates can achieve.

It's all about the CEO class giving favours to others in the CEO class. It's a complete joke.

When is Essendon's AGM? The members should not stand for this.
The members, in the majority, were prepared to forgive James Hirds transgressions with young footballers being taken off site to be injected regularly.

This will hardly cause a blip on the cult that is essendon.

Brad was very impressive with his speech at the b&f im fully onboard put a rocket up the players to get fit too which i loved seemed passionate,hungry and wants to drive standards he's the perfect coach for us and light years ahead of Rutten.

Very happy with him.
NGL, cannot wait to bump this B4L.

Are you being deliberately dense? Because last time I checked, Bachar Houli hasn't been appointed the CEO of an AFL club.

And for the record, if Bachar ever did rise to the level of Club CEO, then heck yeah, I'd want to know if he was in charge of an organisation that was homophobic.
Houli was named a premiership ambassador for the AFL this year, whilst being an orthodox Muslim who's own foundation is about promoting young muslim men into leadership (which is perfectly fine btw).
Did you kick up a stink when he was named as the AFLs ambassador and demand to know the tenets and beliefs of his foundation?

How about when Sydney signed a major sponsorship deal, then later extended it, with Qatar Airlines despite being owned by a Royal family with a list of Human rights abuses against the LGBTIQ community as long as you can see?

If not, I call BS by you, and the rest of the media highlighting Thorburn now.
The fact Murdoch rags are the first to run with it shows this isn't idealogical. It's about clicks and stirring up social media.

For the record, I have no issue with the AFL promoting Houli, nor do I think Thorburns faith or religious affiliations should have any bearings on his ability to promote an inclusive workplace (which he apparently did at NAB).

Banking Royal commission stuff? Fair game. Go your hardest on that.

Exactly.

His performance at the Royal Commission and the fact one of his close staff members defrauded the Bank for a fortune when he probably should have realised.. they're both fair game..

In fact, the fraud stuff isn't great considering what happened with Dank at the Bombers. Lol.

Sounds like he should be working for the AFL

Remove this Banner Ad

Back