Brad Scott - New Essendon Coach

Remove this Banner Ad

Houli was named a premiership ambassador for the AFL this year, whilst being an orthodox Muslim who's own foundation is about promoting young muslim men into leadership (which is perfectly fine btw).
Did you kick up a stink when he was named as the AFLs ambassador and demand to know the tenets and beliefs of his foundation?

How about when Sydney signed a major sponsorship deal, then later extended it, with Qatar Airlines despite being owned by a Royal family with a list of Human rights abuses against the LGBTIQ community as long as you can see?

If not, I call BS by you, and the rest of the media highlighting Thorburn now.
The fact Murdoch rags are the first to run with it shows this isn't idealogical. It's about clicks and stirring up social media.

For the record, I have no issue with the AFL promoting Houli, nor do I think Thorburns faith or religious affiliations should have any bearings on his ability to promote an inclusive workplace (which he apparently did at NAB).

Banking Royal commission stuff? Fair game. Go your hardest on that.

Where does one even find such a long bow to draw?

Houli was named a premiership ambassador for the AFL this year, whilst being an orthodox Muslim who's own foundation is about promoting young muslim men into leadership (which is perfectly fine btw).
Did you kick up a stink when he was named as the AFLs ambassador and demand to know the tenets and beliefs of his foundation?

IMHO, there is a difference between being a premiership ambassador, which is a bullshit promotional role, versus being the CEO of a club where you have actual decision making powers and can directly influence the lives of players. And Andrew Thorburn is the Chairman of an organisation that openly preaches it's views against homosexuality. He holds a leadership position in that organisation.

By contrast, to the best of my knowledge, there is no evidence that that Houli's foundation preaches homophobia. If there is evidence otherwise, I'm happy to correct my opinion. Unless you are inferring that simply by virtue of being Muslim, Houli must be homophobic? Because by that logic, you tar pretty much anyone connected to any religion. Most of the mainstream religions preach homophobia to varying degrees.

And I'm not demanding to know anything... this is information out in the open. If Essendon want to appoint the guy, that's their choice and it's their risk to take. However, if you go back and read the post I originally replied to, it was in response to the claim that he was somehow being unfairly targetted by the media because he was a white Christian, and that something similar would never have happened to Houli. I'm simply pointing out that there is a world of difference between the two situations.

How about when Sydney signed a major sponsorship deal, then later extended it, with Qatar Airlines despite being owned by a Royal family with a list of Human rights abuses against the LGBTIQ community as long as you can see?

If you want to have a discussion about "sportswashing", go right ahead and start up a new thread. I completely agree, there's something stinky about Sydney accepting sponsorship money from a company with a very spotty history.

If not, I call BS by you, and the rest of the media highlighting Thorburn now.
The fact Murdoch rags are the first to run with it shows this isn't idealogical. It's about clicks and stirring up social media.

Which was kinda my point. Again, I was responding to a poster who basically claimed that somehow Thorburn was being unfairly targetted because he was a white Christian. Do you honestly think the Murdoch media would miss an opportunity to sink the boot into a Muslim if a similar opportunity arose?

For the record, I have no issue with the AFL promoting Houli, nor do I think Thorburns faith or religious affiliations should have any bearings on his ability to promote an inclusive workplace (which he apparently did at NAB).

Again, I think you are mistaking the difference between someone being a Christian versus being a Christian that goes to a homophobic church versus being the Chairman of a Church with a track record of homophobia. If Thorburn's track record at NAB shows that he isn't personally homophobic and he's perfectably capable of creating an inclusive workplace... then great, Essendon made the right choice (notwithstanding his other issues). For the sake of any LGBQTI+ staff or players at the club, I sure hope so.

So essendons board have appointed a bloke who was basically sacked by NAB because despite appearing before a royal commission couldn't grasp that charging fess for services that weren't provided was a serious issue AND appears to be strongly connected to a wacky Doo church that swims strongly against inclusion and values that are now considered to be the norm.

The candidates that were deemed to be not up to the job must gave been rippers.
Well Hirdy was off limits as he's been tapped for the AFL job aparently.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If Essendon and North merged right now, does Essendon land Clarkson, or does Brad Scott get his old job back?
Depends on who is running the show. If it's Essendon people then Essendon land Clarkson, if it's North people then Brad Scott gets his old job back (at the AFL) ;)

Happy with the appointment, think he'll be better for the experience ay North, was surprised to read he was only 33 when he got that job. Time at the AFL wont have hurt either.

Essendon to Brad

die-hard-john-mc-clane.gif

Remove this Banner Ad

Back