Player Watch Brayden Maynard

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Tarkyn_24

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 23, 2006
AFL Club
Collingwood
Love to see Buckley roll the dice aka back in 2010 when the used Maxwell to Tag. and get Maynard to play on Martin. he matches him for power. and as a defender. but not in the middle. but i'd rather Martin get a kick in the midfield then kicking in the F50
Went back even further than that, didn’t Maxy get a run with role in the 2008 Elimination Final against the Crows, maybe against Scott Thompson or Tyson Edwards?

nahnah

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 26, 2012
AFL Club
Collingwood
2008 elimination final? Shannon Cox and Ryan Cook played... Dane Swan lead the game with 23 disposals (only player on the day with over 20 touches). Was a different era despite being only 10 years ago.

MarkT2

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 3, 2009
Melb
AFL Club
Collingwood
Love to see Buckley roll the dice aka back in 2010 when the used Maxwell to Tag. and get Maynard to play on Martin. he matches him for power. and as a defender. but not in the middle. but i'd rather Martin get a kick in the midfield then kicking in the F50
I was thinking the same thing.
Martin is a much better player than Maynard right now but he's better than anyone we'd play on him. If he gets off the chain we could always swap Greenwood over to Martin. Meanwhile Greenwood can take Cotchin. The risk is in being too defensive/negative so Maynard would have to try and also get a kick and make Martin accountable - unless Greenwood goes out because his only real value is as a tagger.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Shpeshal Ed

I see you on televishaaaaan!
Sep 17, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Man. U, Chicago Bulls, Ολυμπιακός
I feel like this finals series has been Maynard’s “arrival” as a small defender. Like his coach, I need to eat some crow on this one.

Hoping he doesn’t lower his colours in the most important game of his short career.

DERKADERRR

Team Captain
Feb 20, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
What do you guys think of Maynard moving into the midfield as a bit of a tagger/run with player? He seemed a bit lost when thrown into the middle earlier in the season but as a lock down midfielder I think he could be the perfect replacement for Greenwood, he knows how to play close, can tackle hard, has speed and is also more damaging on the attack, I don't really know if he has the tank for the midfield yet though. With Quaynor coming in and Appleby showing a bit as a stopper we have options to move him from defence.

Prochard123

Premiership Player
Jul 28, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
What do you guys think of Maynard moving into the midfield as a bit of a tagger/run with player? He seemed a bit lost when thrown into the middle earlier in the season but as a lock down midfielder I think he could be the perfect replacement for Greenwood, he knows how to play close, can tackle hard, has speed and is also more damaging on the attack, I don't really know if he has the tank for the midfield yet though. With Quaynor coming in and Appleby showing a bit as a stopper we have options to move him from defence.
No.

Maybe against Richmond when it's a free win and we're bored.

DERKADERRR

Team Captain
Feb 20, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
No.

Maybe against Richmond when it's a free win and we're bored.
Who would you choose to take Greenwood's place? He'll be 30 next year and the only players I could think of who could play that role are Mayne (also quite old and has played as a forward tagger), crisp (playing extremely good footy as a rebounding defender) and Maynard. Possibly Appleby and Quaynor, I think Apples was trialed as one as a junior.

TheGreatGrundy

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 21, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Why not just leave Maynard in defence where he has played really good football? One thing of which we are not short is midfielders.

DERKADERRR

Team Captain
Feb 20, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Why not just leave Maynard in defence where he has played really good football? One thing of which we are not short is midfielders.
He’s definitely played good football down back I know, he also seemed to turn it up a notch in the finals, but like I wrote in the last post we’re going to need someone once Greenwood leaves who is able to tag a player in the midfield, I feel as if he is one of the best options. We are definitely not short on midfielders but if you look at our list we aren’t too short on defenders either, especially if you include Quaynor and Will Kelly.

Out of interest, who do you think is a good option to take over the tagging mantle from Greenwood?

TheGreatGrundy

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 21, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
He’s definitely played good football down back I know, he also seemed to turn it up a notch in the finals, but like I wrote in the last post we’re going to need someone once Greenwood leaves who is able to tag a player in the midfield, I feel as if he is one of the best options. We are definitely not short on midfielders but if you look at our list we aren’t too short on defenders either, especially if you include Quaynor and Will Kelly.

Out of interest, who do you think is a good option to take over the tagging mantle from Greenwood?
I would use Mayne in that role as required. There may be occasions when Maynard would be more suited to the role. How often do we use a tagger? We will have such a dynamic midfield that we should be able to go head to head with most teams. I would actually prefer to use our best ball extractors at the center bounces.

jackcass

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 8, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood
I think we're already struggling to accommodate our midfielders without trying to squeeze extras in. Certainly has the potential, just not sure anymore it's the best use of him going forward.

jackcass

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 8, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood

I think we used Greenwood more often than not as a lock down small defender later in the season rather than in a midfield tagging role. I thin Appleby will secure that role in 2019.

MarkT2

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 3, 2009
Melb
AFL Club
Collingwood
Maynard can't fit into the midfield at this point and in any case he started to become an accomplished defender with a bit of grunt which have lacked for a long time.

Last edited:

rand corp

Premiership Player
Oct 5, 2004
asia
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Collingwood
Pace and tank are my questions around him as a mid, could be a good pinch hit if we need to urgently shut someone down perhaps but he is doing well in his current role

Top Bottom