Player Watch Brayden Maynard

Remove this Banner Ad

Last edited:
Love to see Buckley roll the dice aka back in 2010 when the used Maxwell to Tag. and get Maynard to play on Martin. he matches him for power. and as a defender. but not in the middle. but i'd rather Martin get a kick in the midfield then kicking in the F50
Went back even further than that, didn’t Maxy get a run with role in the 2008 Elimination Final against the Crows, maybe against Scott Thompson or Tyson Edwards?

Love to see Buckley roll the dice aka back in 2010 when the used Maxwell to Tag. and get Maynard to play on Martin. he matches him for power. and as a defender. but not in the middle. but i'd rather Martin get a kick in the midfield then kicking in the F50
I was thinking the same thing.
Martin is a much better player than Maynard right now but he's better than anyone we'd play on him. If he gets off the chain we could always swap Greenwood over to Martin. Meanwhile Greenwood can take Cotchin. The risk is in being too defensive/negative so Maynard would have to try and also get a kick and make Martin accountable - unless Greenwood goes out because his only real value is as a tagger.

Last edited:
I feel like this finals series has been Maynard’s “arrival” as a small defender. Like his coach, I need to eat some crow on this one.

Hoping he doesn’t lower his colours in the most important game of his short career.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What do you guys think of Maynard moving into the midfield as a bit of a tagger/run with player? He seemed a bit lost when thrown into the middle earlier in the season but as a lock down midfielder I think he could be the perfect replacement for Greenwood, he knows how to play close, can tackle hard, has speed and is also more damaging on the attack, I don't really know if he has the tank for the midfield yet though. With Quaynor coming in and Appleby showing a bit as a stopper we have options to move him from defence.

What do you guys think of Maynard moving into the midfield as a bit of a tagger/run with player? He seemed a bit lost when thrown into the middle earlier in the season but as a lock down midfielder I think he could be the perfect replacement for Greenwood, he knows how to play close, can tackle hard, has speed and is also more damaging on the attack, I don't really know if he has the tank for the midfield yet though. With Quaynor coming in and Appleby showing a bit as a stopper we have options to move him from defence.
No.

Maybe against Richmond when it's a free win and we're bored.

No.

Maybe against Richmond when it's a free win and we're bored.
Who would you choose to take Greenwood's place? He'll be 30 next year and the only players I could think of who could play that role are Mayne (also quite old and has played as a forward tagger), crisp (playing extremely good footy as a rebounding defender) and Maynard. Possibly Appleby and Quaynor, I think Apples was trialed as one as a junior.

Why not just leave Maynard in defence where he has played really good football? One thing of which we are not short is midfielders.

Why not just leave Maynard in defence where he has played really good football? One thing of which we are not short is midfielders.
He’s definitely played good football down back I know, he also seemed to turn it up a notch in the finals, but like I wrote in the last post we’re going to need someone once Greenwood leaves who is able to tag a player in the midfield, I feel as if he is one of the best options. We are definitely not short on midfielders but if you look at our list we aren’t too short on defenders either, especially if you include Quaynor and Will Kelly.

Out of interest, who do you think is a good option to take over the tagging mantle from Greenwood?

He’s definitely played good football down back I know, he also seemed to turn it up a notch in the finals, but like I wrote in the last post we’re going to need someone once Greenwood leaves who is able to tag a player in the midfield, I feel as if he is one of the best options. We are definitely not short on midfielders but if you look at our list we aren’t too short on defenders either, especially if you include Quaynor and Will Kelly.

Out of interest, who do you think is a good option to take over the tagging mantle from Greenwood?
I would use Mayne in that role as required. There may be occasions when Maynard would be more suited to the role. How often do we use a tagger? We will have such a dynamic midfield that we should be able to go head to head with most teams. I would actually prefer to use our best ball extractors at the center bounces.

I think we're already struggling to accommodate our midfielders without trying to squeeze extras in. Certainly has the potential, just not sure anymore it's the best use of him going forward.

I think we used Greenwood more often than not as a lock down small defender later in the season rather than in a midfield tagging role. I thin Appleby will secure that role in 2019.

Maynard can't fit into the midfield at this point and in any case he started to become an accomplished defender with a bit of grunt which have lacked for a long time.

Last edited:
Pace and tank are my questions around him as a mid, could be a good pinch hit if we need to urgently shut someone down perhaps but he is doing well in his current role

Remove this Banner Ad

Back