Player Watch Brayden Maynard

Remove this Banner Ad

What do you guys think of Maynard moving into the midfield as a bit of a tagger/run with player? He seemed a bit lost when thrown into the middle earlier in the season but as a lock down midfielder I think he could be the perfect replacement for Greenwood, he knows how to play close, can tackle hard, has speed and is also more damaging on the attack, I don't really know if he has the tank for the midfield yet though. With Quaynor coming in and Appleby showing a bit as a stopper we have options to move him from defence.
I'd like to see us try tay adams in that tagger/run with role. Hard as nails, would be very hard to get a kick on.

Pace and tank are my questions around him as a mid, could be a good pinch hit if we need to urgently shut someone down perhaps but he is doing well in his current role
This is pretty much what I meant to be honest although I probably didn't explain it as well as I could have, pretty much using him in the same way that greenwood was this year, sometimes shutting down a player in the midfield and playing back when it is unnecessary. Pace I don't really have a question mark over but I agree in regards to his tank.

Pace and tank are my questions around him as a mid, could be a good pinch hit if we need to urgently shut someone down perhaps but he is doing well in his current role
No idea about his tank, but think of him as quick, but to me he's perfectly suited to half back.

This is pretty much what I meant to be honest although I probably didn't explain it as well as I could have, pretty much using him in the same way that greenwood was this year, sometimes shutting down a player in the midfield and playing back when it is unnecessary. Pace I don't really have a question mark over but I agree in regards to his tank.
As a pinch hitter or for a specific role like the one on Green, Maynard is a good option, and he has shown more than a willingness to take on a challenge and nullify his opponent. I really like Maynard as a player. Defence is currently his best spot as he is very effective stifling attacks and repelling them. His kicking is a strong feature of his game as is his aggression and courage. He played a significant role in getting us as far as we did. I wouldn't be surprised to see him move into other roles, but am content for his current role to continue for the remainder of his career.

I'd like to see us try tay adams in that tagger/run with role. Hard as nails, would be very hard to get a kick on.
He could probably play that role really well, and he may end up doing it. We have to find a way of fitting in all of our top midfield players somehow, and as the team keeps developing, Greenwood's overall lack of skill is pretty likely to cost him his spot.

On the other hand, Adams almost won the Norm Smith playing his "normal role", so perhaps they won't want to change that. We're really well placed, given that we now seem to have so many options to cover all/most positions.

He could probably play that role really well, and he may end up doing it. We have to find a way of fitting in all of our top midfield players somehow, and as the team keeps developing, Greenwood's overall lack of skill is pretty likely to cost him his spot.

On the other hand, Adams almost won the Norm Smith playing his "normal role", so perhaps they won't want to change that. We're really well placed, given that we now seem to have so many options to cover all/most positions.

In the second half of the year, he was up with Sidebottom as our best midfielder. I don't think they'll see the need to change his role.

Tom Browne reporting the Pies have locked away Brayden Maynard beyond the 2020 season.

Just saw this on Pies Nation on Facebook.

Bruzzie the Junkyard Dawg!

Yep takes him to restricted free agency. Will be interesting to see what they do with Jordy because he comes into restricted free agency the same year.

Yep takes him to restricted free agency. Will be interesting to see what they do with Jordy because he comes into restricted free agency the same year.

Herald Sun said Collingwood looking to tie up Brodie Grundy to a 7 year, $1 million a year contract to keep everyone away. Bloody Adelaide throwing spanner in the mix. I think the same will happen with De Goey, we will have to give him top dollar to keep other massive offers away. A big money, very long term deal. But he's worth it.

I am possibly going to embarrass myself here, but I would struggle to recognise Maynard if I met him.

However, I love his role for us.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The problem with moving Adams to a tagging role is that he is one of the few that attacks the ball & hunts for it in packs. To move him we need someone who can play his role. None of the other mids are as fearless as him. Nor do they get down & dirty to get their own ball like him. Sier is the only other player capable & he isn't playing. I think Maynard could as well, but he is needed down back. Happy to hear of the contract extension.

The problem with moving Adams to a tagging role is that he is one of the few that attacks the ball & hunts for it in packs. To move him we need someone who can play his role. None of the other mids are as fearless as him. Nor do they get down & dirty to get their own ball like him. Sier is the only other player capable & he isn't playing. I think Maynard could as well, but he is needed down back. Happy to hear of the contract extension.
Yes, I do agree, and (in case it wasn't clear from my long-forgotten post) I'm not in favour of moving Adams at all! I want him to stick to what he's best at, but was simply saying that he could do the tagging role well if needed.

Great post Dave.

Another example of how good a skipper Pendlebury actually is.
He might not be demonstrative but he is a great influence for good.

The Age article on line had three different titles........one was that he was blocked in that game that I have no interest in reliving.

The Age article on line had three different titles........one was that he was blocked in that game that I have no interest in reliving.
The “blocked” article was completely different to the article Dave posted.
Don’t know how you can say they were the same.
I would not have posted the link I did if it was the same article.

The “blocked” article was completely different to the article Dave posted.
Don’t know how you can say they were the same.
I would not have posted the link I did if it was the same article.

I will read now.....thanks

Remove this Banner Ad

Back