flggr BREAKING NEWS: Kardinia Park's state-of-the-art new stand to be named the 'JOEL SELWOOD STAND', forever immortalising the captain. OUR captain.

Remove this Banner Ad

Feb 12, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong

New northern stand at Kardinia Park to be named after Cats legend Joel Selwood​

Joel Selwood has added yet another string to his bow with Kardinia Park’s new stand to be named after the Cats’ games record holder.

0b655c82e40e82806fca79c42a08c3c12eb6d5a7.jpg

Joel Selwood will be immortalised at the ground where he thrilled fans and terrified opponents, with the new northern stand at Kardinia Park to be named in his honour.

It’s an almost unimaginable achievement for someone just 35 years old, but few, if any, would argue the decision.
The four-time Cats premiership player, long-serving club captain, three-time All-Australian captain, and club games record holder was typically humble in his response.

“It’s not something I ever dreamt of … I was just a kid rocking up to do the best he possibly could day in, day out, and I probably never lost that,” he said.

“For me, it’s a thank you to many, many people who have helped me along the way.

“Not only the players who I played with, hopefully they see a bit of a reward in it too, but also the administrators and the day-to-day people who worked inside the footy club to make it what it was.”

The naming of the stand comes as the state government confirmed the $142m GMHBA Stadium redevelopment would be completed in time for the Cats’ round one Saturday night clash against St Kilda on March 16.

The Joel Selwood Stand is the cornerstone of the redevelopment.

Replacing the Ford Stand, it will hold 14,000 people and include a Gary Ablett Terrace on the ground level of the two-tiered stand.

It will also contain a new Fred Flanagan Room.

The announcement comes soon after it was revealed that the new northern entry point to Kardinia Park will be known as Djilang Plaza.

The process to name the stand started last year when the state government sought ideas via its Engage Victoria website.

The Kardinia Park Stadium Trust (KPST) managed the process on the government’s behalf and chief executive Gerard Griffin said it became quickly apparent that Selwood’s name would be hard to top.

The decision was formalised by the KPST board and signed off by Sports Minister Steve Dimopoulos.

Mr Griffin said while it was unusual for such an honour to be bestowed on someone so young, the KPST wanted to “get ahead of the curve”.

“An unbelievable record on the field and an extremely fine human being off the field – it’s a pretty good package to name a stand after,” he said.

“It’s going to take a remarkable player to match his record and what he’s got on his CV, simply in playing terms – premierships, the record amount of games, finals – it’s a phenomenal record in the history of AFL/VFL football.

“The other part of the story that is so strong is the character we are talking about and the upstanding citizen he is.”

647e79cf9f65fe5d43ca8b768e20d8bedd4caf08.jpg

New northern stand at Kardinia Park to be named after Cats legend Joel Selwood​

Joel Selwood has added yet another string to his bow with Kardinia Park’s new stand to be named after the Cats’ games record holder.

View attachment 1859772

Joel Selwood will be immortalised at the ground where he thrilled fans and terrified opponents, with the new northern stand at Kardinia Park to be named in his honour.

It’s an almost unimaginable achievement for someone just 35 years old, but few, if any, would argue the decision.
The four-time Cats premiership player, long-serving club captain, three-time All-Australian captain, and club games record holder was typically humble in his response.

“It’s not something I ever dreamt of … I was just a kid rocking up to do the best he possibly could day in, day out, and I probably never lost that,” he said.

“For me, it’s a thank you to many, many people who have helped me along the way.

“Not only the players who I played with, hopefully they see a bit of a reward in it too, but also the administrators and the day-to-day people who worked inside the footy club to make it what it was.”

The naming of the stand comes as the state government confirmed the $142m GMHBA Stadium redevelopment would be completed in time for the Cats’ round one Saturday night clash against St Kilda on March 16.

The Joel Selwood Stand is the cornerstone of the redevelopment.

Replacing the Ford Stand, it will hold 14,000 people and include a Gary Ablett Terrace on the ground level of the two-tiered stand.

It will also contain a new Fred Flanagan Room.

The announcement comes soon after it was revealed that the new northern entry point to Kardinia Park will be known as Djilang Plaza.

The process to name the stand started last year when the state government sought ideas via its Engage Victoria website.

The Kardinia Park Stadium Trust (KPST) managed the process on the government’s behalf and chief executive Gerard Griffin said it became quickly apparent that Selwood’s name would be hard to top.

The decision was formalised by the KPST board and signed off by Sports Minister Steve Dimopoulos.

Mr Griffin said while it was unusual for such an honour to be bestowed on someone so young, the KPST wanted to “get ahead of the curve”.

“An unbelievable record on the field and an extremely fine human being off the field – it’s a pretty good package to name a stand after,” he said.

“It’s going to take a remarkable player to match his record and what he’s got on his CV, simply in playing terms – premierships, the record amount of games, finals – it’s a phenomenal record in the history of AFL/VFL football.

“The other part of the story that is so strong is the character we are talking about and the upstanding citizen he is.”

View attachment 1859774
Care factor...

Word Art GIF

OUR ******* hero.

Geelong Cats Chief Executive Steve Hocking congratulated Selwood on the honour.

“We congratulate Joel on the honour of having the new grandstand bear his name. Joel has made a significant contribution to the Club and the wider Geelong community since he walked through the doors at Kardinia Park in late 2006 and this is a fitting recognition,” Hocking said.

"It is fantastic to see two incredibly important figures in Geelong's history recognised with Polly Farmer's and Audrey Hope's names adorning the gates of our new stand. Polly changed the way Australian Rules football was played for the better with his innovative style of play, while Audrey was a true pioneer in the earliest days of organised women's football in Geelong.

“As a Club, we are excited to see the Stage 5 redevelopment nearing completion. The increased capacity at our home ground has opened the door for many exciting opportunities, including fixtures against big Victorian clubs and more fans being able to watch the Cats at home.

“We’re looking forward to welcoming our members to open days in the new year so they can experience and explore the new and many features of the grandstand for the first time.”

MicrosoftTeams-image-2-.png

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How lucky are Richmond and Hawks fans, you could sit in the Selwood stand this year.

I'd rather sit in the Selwood stand than the Ablett stand, so no issue here, I'm assuming entry will be free to celebrate the Ducks greatest achievements in football?

"That afternoon, Joel Selwood notched up his 585th free kick, more than any player has recorded in the AFL era, which began in 1990."

We are all truly blessed to have lived through the Joel era. Congratulations one and all!
Yeah it was good while it lasted quite something to be remembered as the second best, oh sorry, third best Captain in the AFL in the last decade, great achievement, is there going to be another statue?
GillenGertietheDuck1997.jpg

Yeah it was good while it lasted quite something to be remembered as the second best, oh sorry, third best Captain in the AFL in the last decade, great achievement, is there going to be another statue?
GillenGertietheDuck1997.jpg
I speak on behalf of Joel and all of the great memories he provided for all of us when I say you’re welcome

Remove this Banner Ad

Back